Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Casts not a "foot"thing,but a "head"thing!

Posted by Martin H. on 5/30/01 at hrmin (049299)

My wife had a Lis Franc operation which was successful and put her in a non=weight bearing cast for six weeks. Now she is in week #2 of a partially weight=bearing cast which goes for another four weeks.She now goes to her office,by crutches down the elevator to a waiting car service,
from which she crutches from the curb to another elevator up to her office,where a rolling office chair plus email allow her to function quite well. Fatigue sends her home about 4:30. We use a wheel chair to go anywhere that has more than a block on crutches.
What is the 'real problem' with this recuperation which seems to be going ok? Frustration at the damn cast still being there every day! Not being able to carry anything from room to room unless it has a hook for a finger(cf.a thermos near the coffee pot in the morning!)These things seem trivial compared to some other posts/problems.
Does anyone have/had some good 'head gimmicks' to have the patience to let the damn foot heal without going crazy?

Re: Casts not a "foot"thing,but a "head"thing!

Reader on 5/30/01 at 18:55 (049400)

Regardless of 'head or foot thing', being in a cast is just an uncomfortable situation that is to be expected following surgery. Those who are in a cast evidently have time on their hands and use this message board as it was intended--to gather information, share concerns, vent in a harmless way, and lift each other's spirits.
Your wife is to be admired for her strength, determination, and tolerence.
Here's wishing her continued post-op success.

Re: Casts not a "foot"thing,WHAT ABOUT CANES?

MartinH on 6/05/01 at hrmin (050022)

Thanks for the heartening words.Her response was 'well,at least someone out there understands'.But I,as the courageous constor,think that one or two tips,even trivial ones,would be a big help.Someone suggested bicycle gloves to keep hands from getting sore and it worked.
Now we are at the 3 1/2 week point,beginning to wonder what one needs to know about canes, what are the unpleasant surprises in waiting.

Julie on 6/06/01 at 02:41 (050047)

Hi Martin

I thought about responding to your post, but decided not to because it sounded as though you wanted a quick fix for a situation and I didn't think I could help with that. As Reader pointed out, it's an uncomfortable situation to be expected following surgery, and I thought his/her advice to use the time wisely was very good advice. There's no such thing as a 'head gimmick': the qualities of patience and acceptance that are called for in such a situation take time and effort to develop.

However. I would like to help, so I suggest a simple breathing exercise that your wife can do in a sitting position.

Sit with the spine upright and the chest open: ie not slouched.
Be aware of the natural rhythm of your breath.
As you breathe in, raise both arms forward as high as is comfortable.
As you breathe out, bring your arms down.

Do this five times, co-ordinating the movement with the breath.
Then sit quietly for a few minutes, and be aware of the breath.

There are many simple breathing exercises that can be practised to replace anxiety with calm, irritation with a measure of acceptance. This one is as good as any. But you have to have the patience to do it.

As far as the cane is concerned, I'm tempted to say - try not to anticipate the future. On a practical level, make sure she is fitted correctly so that the cane is neither too long (which will strain her shoulder) nor too short (which will cause her to stoop on one side and pull her spine out of alignment).

Good wishes to you both, Julie

Re: Casts not a "foot"thing,WHAT ABOUT CANES?goodNEWS!

Martin H. on 7/11/01 at hrmin (052893)

Julie,
First see my 'just back from a trip' and seeing what trmendous cahnges were being made by my wife. Independent, limping walking with a cane which
it turns out is more there to change the way your head and your foot interact ,than just 'healing the leg'.
See my post under 'PT' for more details. You guys were encouraging and more support when things were rough,so I thought I would share some simple good news.
All the best,Martin H.

Julie on 7/12/01 at 03:26 (052915)

Martin, I've just read that post, and am very happy for both of you!

Re: Casts not a "foot"thing,but a "head"thing!

Reader on 5/30/01 at 18:55 (049400)

Regardless of 'head or foot thing', being in a cast is just an uncomfortable situation that is to be expected following surgery. Those who are in a cast evidently have time on their hands and use this message board as it was intended--to gather information, share concerns, vent in a harmless way, and lift each other's spirits.
Your wife is to be admired for her strength, determination, and tolerence.
Here's wishing her continued post-op success.

MartinH on 6/05/01 at hrmin (050022)

Thanks for the heartening words.Her response was 'well,at least someone out there understands'.But I,as the courageous constor,think that one or two tips,even trivial ones,would be a big help.Someone suggested bicycle gloves to keep hands from getting sore and it worked.
Now we are at the 3 1/2 week point,beginning to wonder what one needs to know about canes, what are the unpleasant surprises in waiting.

Julie on 6/06/01 at 02:41 (050047)

Hi Martin

I thought about responding to your post, but decided not to because it sounded as though you wanted a quick fix for a situation and I didn't think I could help with that. As Reader pointed out, it's an uncomfortable situation to be expected following surgery, and I thought his/her advice to use the time wisely was very good advice. There's no such thing as a 'head gimmick': the qualities of patience and acceptance that are called for in such a situation take time and effort to develop.

However. I would like to help, so I suggest a simple breathing exercise that your wife can do in a sitting position.

Sit with the spine upright and the chest open: ie not slouched.
Be aware of the natural rhythm of your breath.
As you breathe in, raise both arms forward as high as is comfortable.
As you breathe out, bring your arms down.

Do this five times, co-ordinating the movement with the breath.
Then sit quietly for a few minutes, and be aware of the breath.

There are many simple breathing exercises that can be practised to replace anxiety with calm, irritation with a measure of acceptance. This one is as good as any. But you have to have the patience to do it.

As far as the cane is concerned, I'm tempted to say - try not to anticipate the future. On a practical level, make sure she is fitted correctly so that the cane is neither too long (which will strain her shoulder) nor too short (which will cause her to stoop on one side and pull her spine out of alignment).

Good wishes to you both, Julie

Martin H. on 7/11/01 at hrmin (052893)

Julie,
First see my 'just back from a trip' and seeing what trmendous cahnges were being made by my wife. Independent, limping walking with a cane which
it turns out is more there to change the way your head and your foot interact ,than just 'healing the leg'.
See my post under 'PT' for more details. You guys were encouraging and more support when things were rough,so I thought I would share some simple good news.
All the best,Martin H.

Julie on 7/12/01 at 03:26 (052915)

Martin, I've just read that post, and am very happy for both of you!