Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Burning

Posted by Lori on 5/30/01 at 12:51 (049357)

I always get cold feet, pardon the pun, when I think about posting a message, but here it goes...

I've had PF, for a year now. I've been to several doctors & have had several tests, all show that I'm perfectly normal, including xrays, CT, EMG, NCV, blood work, etc. However, I'm clearly not normal. Normal for me was running 30 miles a week, biking a lot, hiking; I was very athletic, and active. Now my mother does my shopping for me and my husband cleans the house & I swim.

Anyway, my story, (as many of your stories are) is a saga, a continuing, relentless saga, that I do not have the energy nor the time right now to get into. So I'll just ask my question.

How many people have buring, and don't have nerve entrapment issues? Is it possible? What about night burning, my feet burn most in the evening. For awhile I could set a watch to it, 7:00pm. Then it changed, became more random. Often times sitting, in the evening (for instance,while trying to practice my flute) will set them off. Sometimes just one will start, the other may or may not join later; sometimes it will be the heel that starts, other times the forefoot & the toes. Lately it's been more in the forefoot & toes. They don't keep me awake a night (only twice have I gone to bed with no burning & been woken up at midnight with burning) & lately(the past 3 or 4 nights) I haven't had to take the ice bag to bed with me. I have them settled down by the time I go to bed. Geeez, I could go on, but I'm running out of time. Also, this has been going on in some form since January, about the time I got my second pair of custom orthotics (soft) I blame my first pair of orthotics that I got as a preventative measure, for my situation now, but that's another story.

My questions:
How many people have buring when walking?
How many have night burning? This burning is more intense.
Does anyone experience color changes in their feet when sitting? Increased redness, etc.

By the way, I have had a two doppler studies done too, normal, & all the doctors concur, my pulses (ankle) are good.

Two doctors, a pod & ortho, have told me this is most likely just a complication of chronic PF, and ESWT will solve it. Another doctor has mentioned Baxter nerve & RSD (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy)

I don't know what to do, I'm about ready to check myself into the Mayo Clinc. I have consulted with someone nearby who has done about 40 Ossatron treatments, he's ready for me to try it, but I feel perhaps I should have more tests done first. I'm so confused, depressed, discouraged & desperate & I must go to the pool now, or I won't have time.

Sorry this turned into a novel, you try to be succint...

Thanks for listening & I do thank God for this site,

Lori

Re: I dont have the exp. PLEASE someone read Lori message she could use some help with her questions!

Tammie on 5/30/01 at hrmin (049405)

Welcome Lori,
I just wanted to say something to encourage you to ask your questions here! There are so many that have so much good advice to give sometimes it takes a bit for a answer and please dont be fearful of reposting question again if You dont get a answer, There is also ask Dr. part to. I believe your pain and your overwelmed feelings, I see it in your post! This is a long time for something to give a person trouble , unfortuantly I am learning this holds true for so many people . Did you try reading the PF Book above? It really has loads of information! I hate to not know what to say to you,as I fear you will not post again You have some very interesting questions here, I to would be interested in knowing answers to, I understand the burning pain I to expierance this always in the evening and is worse at night along with a sometimes electrical shocking feeling? A numbness? Your feet or foot feels like a fever or walking on hot coals? Sounds very familiar, but I do not have any color changes in foot. Please keep posting here the people are wonderful and sometimes I think posts get hidden so please try again! I hope my answer in Subject attracts somene to see your message I am sorryI dont know what to say to you! Just I am so very glad you got warmer feet and decided to post after all !!!!!!!This is a wonderful place to come for information and for warm and supportive people !Again welcome!

Re: Burning

BrianJ on 5/30/01 at 20:35 (049406)

I get aching and burning throughout my feet while at rest, while I get sharp pain in my heels if I stand in one place for more than a minute.
For burning, you may want to read old posts on this board by a fellow named Gordon (you can use his name with this board's search function). Even if his treatment doesn't work for you as it did for him, I think it is very interesting reading.

Hang in there and keep trying different things. Avoid activities that cause pain and pursue treatments that give relief, however small. Believe me, I know what it's like, as I've been hurting for 3.5 years now.

wendyn on 5/30/01 at 22:56 (049419)

Hi Lori - please don't ever hesitate to post...that's why we're all here!

Your feet sound quite a bit like mine. I have had the color changes, burning etc.

I would strongly recommend you give acupuncture a try - it really helped for me. Icing always helped with the burning for me too.

I noticed that you said sometimes the burning starts when you're sitting - have you had your back checked out?

You also might want to temporarily ease up on the swimming - or try swimming with a block between your feet so you can't kick. I realize how important the activity is - but I found that deep water running was actually aggravating my feet more than I would have thought possible. I stopped for a while and it allowed my feet some time to heal. Now I can bike hard for 25 minutes or so with no problems.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/30/01 at 23:16 (049423)

Hi,

Have you been checked for any neuroma's between the toes usually the 3rd interspace. ? You can get burning from plantar fasciitis, lower back problems, anemic conditions etc.

Have some a complete work-up including your lower back. It does sound like plantar fasciitis with compensation to the front of your foot. You will walk differently with any type of heel pain.

Having both an orthopedic and podiatric physician agree is a good indication that you have plantar fasciitis. So get a medical work (lab analysis) and then decide your next course of treatment.

Donna SL on 5/31/01 at 00:48 (049430)

Lori,

Try to find a neurologist who is familiar with quantitative sensory testing. (QST). If you do a search on the web you'll find some info. It is much more sensitive in picking up small fiber neuropathies that a regular nerve conduction test would miss. The test is also supposed to be painless. You can have some type of neuropathy, even if it doesn't show on a regular nerve conduction study. The symptoms you mention are usually due to some type of nerve involvment.

Also look at this web site from Dr. Lee Dellon who deals with this a lot. I think he came up with the concept of OST. He also seems to specialize in nerve compressions. He also talks about neuromas, RSD, etc. Also, you can call his office or email him. I called once, and his assistant says he reads all his emails.

http://www.dellon.com/

There are other QST systems around besides the one he uses, that's why I mentioned doing a search on it, but this will give you general idea.

Donna

wanda m on 5/31/01 at hrmin (049442)

hey lori, it sounds like my feet you are or was talking about. I to had the awful burning for many yrs or it seems like that. I couldnt stand or walk without the awful burning. I did all the things you said you are doing.
But through praying for a complete healing and for Jesus to lead me to a dr that could through him heal me, well guess what I FOUND HIM IN TAMPA, FL. I am like Dr Z it sounds like you have neuroma's in between your toes and they have formed scar tissue and thats whats causing the burning.

Dont know if you have read my posting about the B-12 shots i have been getting, but anyway they have disolved the scar tissue and i am pain free in my toe and ball of the foot area. If you need more info please email me and i will give you all the info i have and Dr Shandles no. You can get well from the burning but the right treatment will have to begin !!!!!!!!!!!

john h on 5/31/01 at 10:34 (049457)

lori: when i first developed PF i described my pain to my doctor as 'burning' for at least a year. i would use an ice pack at night to try and help the burning. over time the pain from burning turnded to more of an ache. describing pain is not an exact science and one person may describe their pain as burning and another as an ache. most people would agree that tingling,numbness,burning is probably pain caused by a pinched/trapped nerve but of course all pain is transmitted by nerves. many people describe pf pain as burning and even today 7 years later i can describe my pain on occasion as burning. the most solid evidence i think i have concerning my pain generator is that when i got a shot in my foot with cortisone i was pain free for about 2 weeks. since the shot is to a very specific area and not a numbing shot it told me that i indeed had pf and the problem was where the doctor injected the cortisone.

HoustonKay on 5/31/01 at 19:38 (049508)

I am no doctor, or even nurse, but has anyone mentioned Reynaud's Syndrome? You might look into this. Sounds like you need a diagnosis before you can be treated. Good luck!

Cynthia D on 5/31/01 at 22:10 (049520)

John: Did you only have cortizone once? What if cortizone gives relief the first time, but the second time it makes the pain worse? That's what happened to me. Thanks on your info regarding your back earlier.

john h on 6/01/01 at 10:10 (049567)

cynthia: i had two cortisone shots. the second one only provided relief for about one week. more than any relief i got i think by getting relief and in particular almost complete relief for a couple of weeks it helped me identify the area where the pain was coming from. it sort of ruled out a trapped nerve in the ankle for instance or a fracture or some sort of circulation problem. if one gets a shot and gets no relief then perhaps the shot was in the wrong place or there is some problem other than inflamation in the area where the shot was given. some of the doctors may want to chalenge this as it is just my lay opinion. i would like to hear one of the doctors comment on this matter (if you get releif from a cortisone shot is it not probable that you have inflamation in the area where the shot was given and that you can rule out certain other possibilities?)

Re: I dont have the exp. PLEASE someone read Lori message she could use some help with her questions!

Tammie on 5/30/01 at hrmin (049405)

Welcome Lori,
I just wanted to say something to encourage you to ask your questions here! There are so many that have so much good advice to give sometimes it takes a bit for a answer and please dont be fearful of reposting question again if You dont get a answer, There is also ask Dr. part to. I believe your pain and your overwelmed feelings, I see it in your post! This is a long time for something to give a person trouble , unfortuantly I am learning this holds true for so many people . Did you try reading the PF Book above? It really has loads of information! I hate to not know what to say to you,as I fear you will not post again You have some very interesting questions here, I to would be interested in knowing answers to, I understand the burning pain I to expierance this always in the evening and is worse at night along with a sometimes electrical shocking feeling? A numbness? Your feet or foot feels like a fever or walking on hot coals? Sounds very familiar, but I do not have any color changes in foot. Please keep posting here the people are wonderful and sometimes I think posts get hidden so please try again! I hope my answer in Subject attracts somene to see your message I am sorryI dont know what to say to you! Just I am so very glad you got warmer feet and decided to post after all !!!!!!!This is a wonderful place to come for information and for warm and supportive people !Again welcome!

BrianJ on 5/30/01 at 20:35 (049406)

I get aching and burning throughout my feet while at rest, while I get sharp pain in my heels if I stand in one place for more than a minute.
For burning, you may want to read old posts on this board by a fellow named Gordon (you can use his name with this board's search function). Even if his treatment doesn't work for you as it did for him, I think it is very interesting reading.

Hang in there and keep trying different things. Avoid activities that cause pain and pursue treatments that give relief, however small. Believe me, I know what it's like, as I've been hurting for 3.5 years now.

wendyn on 5/30/01 at 22:56 (049419)

Hi Lori - please don't ever hesitate to post...that's why we're all here!

Your feet sound quite a bit like mine. I have had the color changes, burning etc.

I would strongly recommend you give acupuncture a try - it really helped for me. Icing always helped with the burning for me too.

I noticed that you said sometimes the burning starts when you're sitting - have you had your back checked out?

You also might want to temporarily ease up on the swimming - or try swimming with a block between your feet so you can't kick. I realize how important the activity is - but I found that deep water running was actually aggravating my feet more than I would have thought possible. I stopped for a while and it allowed my feet some time to heal. Now I can bike hard for 25 minutes or so with no problems.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/30/01 at 23:16 (049423)

Hi,

Have you been checked for any neuroma's between the toes usually the 3rd interspace. ? You can get burning from plantar fasciitis, lower back problems, anemic conditions etc.

Have some a complete work-up including your lower back. It does sound like plantar fasciitis with compensation to the front of your foot. You will walk differently with any type of heel pain.

Having both an orthopedic and podiatric physician agree is a good indication that you have plantar fasciitis. So get a medical work (lab analysis) and then decide your next course of treatment.

Donna SL on 5/31/01 at 00:48 (049430)

Lori,

Try to find a neurologist who is familiar with quantitative sensory testing. (QST). If you do a search on the web you'll find some info. It is much more sensitive in picking up small fiber neuropathies that a regular nerve conduction test would miss. The test is also supposed to be painless. You can have some type of neuropathy, even if it doesn't show on a regular nerve conduction study. The symptoms you mention are usually due to some type of nerve involvment.

Also look at this web site from Dr. Lee Dellon who deals with this a lot. I think he came up with the concept of OST. He also seems to specialize in nerve compressions. He also talks about neuromas, RSD, etc. Also, you can call his office or email him. I called once, and his assistant says he reads all his emails.

http://www.dellon.com/

There are other QST systems around besides the one he uses, that's why I mentioned doing a search on it, but this will give you general idea.

Donna

wanda m on 5/31/01 at hrmin (049442)

hey lori, it sounds like my feet you are or was talking about. I to had the awful burning for many yrs or it seems like that. I couldnt stand or walk without the awful burning. I did all the things you said you are doing.
But through praying for a complete healing and for Jesus to lead me to a dr that could through him heal me, well guess what I FOUND HIM IN TAMPA, FL. I am like Dr Z it sounds like you have neuroma's in between your toes and they have formed scar tissue and thats whats causing the burning.

Dont know if you have read my posting about the B-12 shots i have been getting, but anyway they have disolved the scar tissue and i am pain free in my toe and ball of the foot area. If you need more info please email me and i will give you all the info i have and Dr Shandles no. You can get well from the burning but the right treatment will have to begin !!!!!!!!!!!

john h on 5/31/01 at 10:34 (049457)

lori: when i first developed PF i described my pain to my doctor as 'burning' for at least a year. i would use an ice pack at night to try and help the burning. over time the pain from burning turnded to more of an ache. describing pain is not an exact science and one person may describe their pain as burning and another as an ache. most people would agree that tingling,numbness,burning is probably pain caused by a pinched/trapped nerve but of course all pain is transmitted by nerves. many people describe pf pain as burning and even today 7 years later i can describe my pain on occasion as burning. the most solid evidence i think i have concerning my pain generator is that when i got a shot in my foot with cortisone i was pain free for about 2 weeks. since the shot is to a very specific area and not a numbing shot it told me that i indeed had pf and the problem was where the doctor injected the cortisone.

HoustonKay on 5/31/01 at 19:38 (049508)

I am no doctor, or even nurse, but has anyone mentioned Reynaud's Syndrome? You might look into this. Sounds like you need a diagnosis before you can be treated. Good luck!

Cynthia D on 5/31/01 at 22:10 (049520)

John: Did you only have cortizone once? What if cortizone gives relief the first time, but the second time it makes the pain worse? That's what happened to me. Thanks on your info regarding your back earlier.

john h on 6/01/01 at 10:10 (049567)

cynthia: i had two cortisone shots. the second one only provided relief for about one week. more than any relief i got i think by getting relief and in particular almost complete relief for a couple of weeks it helped me identify the area where the pain was coming from. it sort of ruled out a trapped nerve in the ankle for instance or a fracture or some sort of circulation problem. if one gets a shot and gets no relief then perhaps the shot was in the wrong place or there is some problem other than inflamation in the area where the shot was given. some of the doctors may want to chalenge this as it is just my lay opinion. i would like to hear one of the doctors comment on this matter (if you get releif from a cortisone shot is it not probable that you have inflamation in the area where the shot was given and that you can rule out certain other possibilities?)