Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Relapse after starting Precor exercise program!

Posted by Brenda G on 5/30/01 at 13:12 (049359)

Hi, I've had PF since 10/2000, been to 3 doctors, physical therapist, got orthodics, and was slowly improving. I was told I had torn my fascia on both feet and stress fractured my right heel. I have had that awful 'flat-footed' feeling since the rupture, with swollen pads in the arch which felt like I was standing on some kind of torturous bar. I was slowly getting better using Ibuprofen and ice and was actually walking with a little more spring in my step. I purchased a Precor elliptical machine to try to lose some weight and after a week I feel like I'm back to step 1 again! I can barely stand my 12 hour shift at work, hobbling around, in horrible pain again. The Precor was the best machine I thought for this problem, yes one does stand on footboards and move in an ellitical method, but the foot does not step up and down, it never leaves the boards and the arch doesn't even bend. Do you think the pressure required to pump the pedals caused this relapse? Did I just not wait long enough to heal? I'd be grateful for any response. Thank you

Re: Relapse after starting Precor exercise program!

Dr. Biehler on 5/30/01 at 18:45 (049397)

The problem with the elliptical exercise machines is that the heel that normaly disingages from the ground at 30% of the gait cyle, and now is prevented from doing so. This inturn restricts the tibial to 1/3 of its normal external rotation and prvents the foot from supinating. The result of this is an unstable midtarsal when the foot is being subjected to a potentialy destuctive vertical force. Dr. B.

Brenda G. on 5/31/01 at 08:48 (049451)

In your opinion, is there any way I can successfully use this machine? I have been making an effort to keep the foot flat, should I instead let the heel raise in a more normal pattern? I don't know if you are familiar with the Precor, but the ramp changes position so one can keep it low, as in a walking fashion, or go high, like a stepper.

Dr. Biehler on 5/31/01 at 10:33 (049456)

I am not familar with the Precor, but if it is an elliptical exercise machine you need to break heel contact with the pedal in order for your foot to supinate. A sneaker or an orthotic with a good arch support should help. Dr. B.

Dr. Biehler on 5/30/01 at 18:45 (049397)

The problem with the elliptical exercise machines is that the heel that normaly disingages from the ground at 30% of the gait cyle, and now is prevented from doing so. This inturn restricts the tibial to 1/3 of its normal external rotation and prvents the foot from supinating. The result of this is an unstable midtarsal when the foot is being subjected to a potentialy destuctive vertical force. Dr. B.

Brenda G. on 5/31/01 at 08:48 (049451)

In your opinion, is there any way I can successfully use this machine? I have been making an effort to keep the foot flat, should I instead let the heel raise in a more normal pattern? I don't know if you are familiar with the Precor, but the ramp changes position so one can keep it low, as in a walking fashion, or go high, like a stepper.

Dr. Biehler on 5/31/01 at 10:33 (049456)

I am not familar with the Precor, but if it is an elliptical exercise machine you need to break heel contact with the pedal in order for your foot to supinate. A sneaker or an orthotic with a good arch support should help. Dr. B.