Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My 6 week post op

Posted by Tammie on 5/30/01 at 16:29 (049377)

Hello a quick update to those who have followed, I am 6 week now and Dr. says no back to work yet no no no, He will see me 6/29 and evaluate again and then he says we will talk about returning to work. Said he would consider letting me but it owuld be one hour up and one hour down for no more then 6 hours then he said no no I think it would be better for you to not return as of yet , he says he doesnt trust my judgement,and says my job is to much on the feet. He said again the pains I have are my own doing , I guess he feels I am doing to much to quickly, says behave myself and have a nice vacation or something with my kids, to lay around the pool,Oh yeah sounds like fun, I am sad but I know he is somewhat right tho and now I have to tell my bosses as they had me put on the work schedule. So I guess this is the normal recovery time folks who are wondering how long it takes , Who would have ever thought it would be more then 6 weeks, not me that is for sure but Dr.Z you were right on nose with your guess For my type of work! Thank You for the tip as it didnt shock me totaly. I guess you all will have to put up with me for a few more weeks now, I hope I can help someone else in that time.

Re: My 6 week post op

Andrea R. on 5/30/01 at 17:59 (049386)

Tammie,

Aren't you lucky to have the time off from work. Most companies would just find you a temporary desk job. I'm two weeks post op and since I have a desk job I'm due to go back on Monday. I just started weight bearing and am still spending most of my time off my feet. I'll see how it goes. The building I work in is partially under construction and the walk to my office is quite long. If it gets to be too much my doctor did say he would sign a note that I Wasn't allow to walk more than so many feet. He can't keep me out of work but he can restrict it enough that the company either has to find someone to push or carry me around OR send me home at their cost.

I've been very lucky in having very little pain but I've spent most of my time on the couch with my foot up.

Keep taking it easy and best of luck.

Andrea

Susan U on 5/30/01 at 18:23 (049391)

I too am 6 weeks post-op. My foot feels pretty good the last 2 days. My son closed on his condo last Friday and I spent Friday, Saturday and part of Sunday helping with cleaning it. It is the most time I have spent on my feet since the surgery. Of course I was in pain, but I felt I wanted to be there for him. Surprisingly, after giving myself a rest Sunday afternoon and night, I felt pretty good on Monday. I still use a quadcane, though. Actually, the trouble I have with me knee is much worse than my foot right now. I go to see my dr. tomorrow morning for a check-up and will probably start my series of injections for my knee (3 shots over 2 weeks, YUCK!). Anyway, hope your recovery continues to be a good one. Keep us posted.

Re: Re:Andrea and Susan

Tammie on 5/30/01 at hrmin (049402)

Hi ,First I am sorry that your co has desk jobs for you if you wanted the time off, I think it would be very hard at 2 weeks to return to any work,My job does not have desk work or sit down work available, I am a nurses aide,We are on our feet for many many hours and they are life line and we need good healthy feet not to mention our backs! I would rather be back to work I am bored silly and feel as tho I am letting them down as my co. is very good to me, But I think they would rather I come back healthy so as not to put myself or patients at a risk. In any case I am NOT looking foward to being home! I do love my family but gee after 6 weeks enough is enough.So I wish I could trade with youand give you a break andrea!!!!

Susan,
So we both are on the same road eh? I feel pretty good to during the day I would say about 70% but it is the nights that do me in or late evenings!I discussed this again with the Pod., and he really thinks it is me overdoing it, I just cant figure out what I am overdoing? He says rest a hour walk a hour so forth , well life does not work that method lol as you know!!! I will be a bit better trying tho as I do want to get back to work soon,. Let me know how you are coming along as I would be interested. Shots to the knee Yuck and double yuck I am sorry for you. Take care and hope to talk again.

Janet D. on 5/30/01 at 21:08 (049411)

Hi, I'm 5 weeks post op and I've still got alot of pain and swelling. It's really weird, but along with the pain, I also have quite alot of numbness in my heel as well as the bottom of my foot near my toes. Hard to explain. The swelling and most of the pain is where the plantar fasciitis is. I've been wearing shoes for 3 weeks now, but they really aren't comfortable. My podiatrist has orthotics for me. Tried them last week and they were horrible - too high in the arch and made my foot feel worse. He's sent them back to be adjusted and should be here sometime before the end of the week. I really doubt they're going to be any better though. I've tried orthotics before and they've only made the problem worse. Is there any other alternative to orthotics?

I'm having PT 2 or 3 times a week, but I don't think I'm benefitting from it much. I guess I expected to feel better by now. I know I'm probably on my foot more than I should be, but I'm not the type to just sit and do nothing. I'm tired of everyone saying that everything I'm experiencing is normal. Is it normal? Hopefully someone can shed some light on it for me.

Good luck Tammie and to the rest of you.

Tammie on 5/30/01 at 22:46 (049417)

Oh my my my dear friend Janet,
First I am no dr. and I dont have a ton of knowledge or expierance here but I can totaly relate to you!!!I am assuming the surgery was the pf release?Well I hate the same things that you do my friend I am not sure what i hate more the not knowing and worrying that the surgery didnt work the way we had hoped or that we have found out nothing is easy when it comes to our lovely feet! I dont know how to answer your??? But My Dr. says the basic healing is in the first 5 to 6 weeks and from then on it could be anywhere from then up to and including 6 months to a year. And that listening to our feet and body can make a difference in the recovery! If they hurt we are to baby them lol listen to me will u lol , they say dont overdo it elevate for swelling and ice, my dr. told me to lay around by the pool lol get that, I hate that stuff I would rather mow the grass around it. But he says the more we listen to and take care of the symptoms now the better chance of having a better recovery, so my friend sounds as if you might be in for some interesting lessons on listening to your foot and giving it a break after all it has been put thru allot ! I dont know about pt my dr. did not order that yet? I do know that orthodics take sometime to break in and get used to, I like mine now but my sore foot still feels a bit tender to them. I have wondered for some time now if it is a culpert to some of my problems of my night pain . Dr. says no so what do I know? Well I wish you good luck and I hope that you will give yourself more time to heal and forgive yourself for being human and expecting allot right away,I am learning we can not dictate to the time it takes to heal! Take care and keep posting it is good to share! Makes us all feel like yes we are not alone and not crazy!

DR. Zuckerman on 5/30/01 at 23:26 (049428)

If we are talking about plantar fascia release then it could take up to six months before you feel the pain go away completely. Too much too soon will only make the healing time and pain increase. The pool sounds like fun to me, but then I can walk without pain. So I guess read some books. and float on the raft. Watch some movies. How about going to heelspurc.com for some fun??

Re: Gee Dr. Z I almost live on this board

Tammie on 5/30/01 at 23:51 (049429)

And Lord help the person who trys to come between the computer and me for the next 4 weeks if I am to remain somewhat sane!

BrianG on 5/31/01 at 08:04 (049446)

Hi Andrea,

What type of office building are you in? I work in a building with a couple hundred employees. We have a wheel chair in the lobby for emergency use. There might be one in your lobby also. If so, maybe you could ask someone to give you a push to your office. I work in security, and we've done things like that for people in the past. Those hard, concrete, industrial floors / rugs are a killer! Good luck

BCG

Andrea R. on 5/31/01 at 16:34 (049495)

Brian,

The building is two floors. There is no lobby right now. If there was it would be closer to my office and have someone there to help me. It would also give me easy access to the elevator. The cafeteria is on the second floor and the nurse told me that I'll should probably start bringing my lunch. If I did I'm not sure how I would carry it. I suppose to talk to the nurse tomorrow and then I'll talk to Human Resources.

Andrea

MARY S. on 5/31/01 at 18:18 (049498)

TAMMIE--I AM ONE WEEK POST OP TOMORROW AND HAVE 4-6 MORE TO GO IF ALL GOES WELL. I AM ALSO TRYING TO REMAIN SANE, SO MAYBE WE CAN HELP EACH OTHER OUT. THIS MESSAGE BOARD IS A GREAT OUTLET--FULL OF INFO, AND SHARING, CARING PEOPLE. FOR NOW, I'M GOING TO WATCH 3 DAYS OF A SOAP OPERA THAT I TAPED, THEN READ FOR AWHILE. I REALLY LOOK FORWARD TO BATHING, SOME BATH AND BODY PRODUCTS AND A FRESH GOWN. I FOUND OUT EARLY THAT IT FEELS GOOD TO PAMPER MYSELF EVEN IF MY BATHS ARE A MODIFIED VERSION OF THE REAL THING. I WOULD GIVE ANYTHING JUST TO BE ABLE TO HAVE A LONG, HOT SOAK IN THE TUB.
ALL OF THIS IS BOUND TO PAY OFF AT SOME POINT IN TIME. I DREAM OF PAIN FREE FEET FOR ALL OF US!! HOPE YOU HAVE A GOOD NIGHT

Re: Oh Mary

Tammie on 5/31/01 at 21:20 (049513)

Sounds wonderfullllllllllll who can resist bath and body works pampering begin , You have a wonderful outlook Mary !!! I admire you! I had a wonderful night last night and ended up on sofa lol as was keeping the hubby up,and it was about 2 when i headed out here but now I got to watch the cat and dog chase each other and climb into the clothes basket teasing each other it was very comical!!! I really laughed watching them! I finally did sleep and was excited and scared as I went in to see my empoyers and my patients!!! They all were really wonderful tho disapointed they seemed to understand and want the best for me! My boss said come in to visit with your patients they miss you, BUT DO NOT Work lol lol he said that twice. He told me to enjoy my time off as they would work me when I get back as will be prime vacation season. I was very sappy as it was so good to be there and my patients were so sweet, I have to tell you about my favorite lol she is a little woman about 90 in a wheel chair and she is the perfect lady or u would think so !!!! She was so cute she says oh my hear is my diamond (me) oh go get her a wheel chair she needs to rest her foot lol, well noone seemed to really hear her so she preceded to say well what the h--- kinda place is this dont you see my diamond is dull she needs a wheel chair so she can become bright again lol It was just so unusual for her as her to cuss is totaly not her and tho she confuses her words and memory at times what she said made so much sense to me and it overwelmed me with good feelings! I enjoyed my visit with her!!! I seen many of my people and tho I explained i have to be off a bit longer they all wished me a hurried rrecovery and to come back soon, I have been going in at least once a week for about 4 hours, I now must limit my time in and maybe go a bit more often heheh when I was there for the 4 hrs they felt I was doing a bit more then I should be ! I willtry to go in at meal times then I can help assist them with feeding as that is a sitting job and can visit to! So see Mary I to may be finding some way to make me happy! I feel like I was useful today and happy! I dont even care if I can sleep or not tonight it doesnt matter cause my heart feels good! Well this is longer then I wanted but I wanted to share with u! Please Mary keep up the chin ! I am in awe with your courage! A goodnight hug to you as I am off to a soak and some hmmm Bath and body works but first must decide will it be a pearberry or a plumaria or a cucumber or u get it anyways loll lol I have many scents to choose from!

MARY S. on 6/01/01 at 10:50 (049581)

TAMMIE-- I JUST LOVED YOUR MESSAGE!! YOU SOUND LIKE MY KIND OF PERSON--GETTING JOY OUT OF HELPING OTHERS. YOUR JOB LITTERALLY CREATES A MISSION FIELD FOR YOU. WHAT A BLESSING FOR YOU AND YOUR PATIENTS!!
I FEEL THE SAME WAY IN MY CLASSROON. AFTER 32 YEARS IN THE CLASSROOM, I KNOW THAT TEACHING SKILLS IS NOT THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF MY JOB. THESE CHILDREN NEED ALOT OF LOVE, SELF-ESTEEM BOOSTING AND ENCOURAGEMENT. WHAT I GET BACK FROM THOSE CHILDREN IS PRICELESS AND WILL STAY IN MY HEART FOREVER. THE SAD PART IS THAT SCHOOL IS OUT, AND I DON'T HAVE MY BABIES TO LOVE EVERY DAY. (NOT SAYING I DON'T ENJOY MY SUMMER BREAK) BEING WITH THEM JUST MAKES ME A STRONGER, BETTER PERSON.
DON'T YOU JUST LOVE YOUR OLDER PATIENTS!! THEY ARE JUST A TREASUREHOUSE OF STORIES, MEMORIES, AND GOOD ADVICE ON LIFE. THANK GOD FOR GOOD NURSES LIKE YOU WHO SEE THEM AS A GIFT AND NOT A BURDEN.
WELL, I HAVE DECIDED THAT EVERY DAY(IF I CAN) I AM GOING TO HAVE A PLAN. I'M GOING TO GET UP, HAVE BREAKFAST AND CHECK MY COMPUTER. NEXT, I'M GOING TO FRESHEN UP, PUT ON MAKE-UP AND DO HAIR--EVEN A LITTLE PERFUME! I ALWAYS FEEL BETTER IF I AM AT LEAST PRESENTABLE. THEN, I WANT TO DO WHAT I CAN TO HELP MY HUSBAND STRAIGHTEN UP--FOLD TOWELS,WIPE COUNTERS-THINGS THAT I CAN DO. THEN IT WILL BE TIME TO PUT FEET UP AND WATCH MORNING TV AND READ SOME. I'VE JUST STARTED THE 'LEFT BEHIND' SERIES AND I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF 'THE PRAYER OF JABEZ', WHICH IS FANTASTIC. VERY SAMLL, THIN BOOK THAT IS BASED ON SCRIPTUE. IT TEACHES US HOW TO PRAY FOR GOD'S BLESSINGS WITHOUT FEELING SELFISH--HE IS OUR FATHER, LOVES US AND WANTS TO BESS US GREATLY. IT IS AMAZING HOW MANY BLESSING HAVE COME MY WAY JUST SINCE I HAVE LEARNED HOW TO PRAY THE PRAYER OF JABEZ.
WELL, I KNOW YOU DON'T WANT TO BE BORED WITH MY STEP BY STEP PLAN FOR THE DAY, BUT I THINK A PLAN WILL HELP ME TO FEEL LIKE I'M NOT FLOUNDERING. I THINK THAT WHEN YOUR IN A BAD SITUATION, YOU NEED THINGS TO LOOK FORWARD TO DURING THE DAY TO KEEP THE SPIRITS UP. I'M ALREADY LOOKING FORWARD TO MY 'PEARBERRY' BATH TONIGHT--CLEAN GOWN AND FRESH SHEETS. IT IS AMAZING HOW FRESH SHEETS AND MY HONEYSUCKLE CANDLE CAN TRANSPORT ME TO THE NICEST PLACE. I DO BELIEVE IN AROMATHERAPY!
THEY TOOK MY CAST OFF YESTERDAY AND PUT ME IN A HUGE, CUMBERSOME BLACK BOOT TO THE KNEE. MY LEG WAS MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE BEFORE THE CHANGE. I DID GET TO SLEEP WITHOUT THE BOOT, BUT THE LEG HURT MORE BECAUSE IT IS SOOOOO EXPOSED. IT FEELS SO STRANGE TO HAVE NOTHING ON MY LEG AT NIGHT AFTER ONLY ONE WEEK OF SURGERY. THE INCISION IS ABOUT 4-5 INCHES LONG.
LET ME ASK YOU THIS-MY NURSE FRIEND--THEY HAVE NEVER TOLD ME TO PUT ICE ON MY LEG AND I HEAR EVERYONE TALK ABOUT ICING. DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE FINE FOR ME TO DO THAT?
YOU GOT ME OFF TO A GREAT START TODAY, TAMMIE, WITH YOUR UPLIFTING MESSAGE.
I'LL BE LOOKING FORWARD TO TALKING TO YOU AGAIN SOON. YOU ARE GOOD MEDICINE FOR ME.
I HOPE AND PRAY THAT YOU ARE FEELING GREAT TODAY AND THAT YOU ARE ABLE TO GET SOME GOOD SLEEP. KEEP ON PAMPERING!!!

Re: Hi

Tammie on 6/01/01 at 21:39 (049646)

Mary,
Yes you also sound like a more then dedicted to your profession, it is good to hear there are people who care more then just a job for a paycheck!!!Trust me I do have my days that I wonder how or why I want to do my type of work!!! Usually do to a co worker, not a patient tho! The harderst thing is the knowledge that it is the last stop before they go home as we like to refer to it, there is no discharge unless it is to heaven! We say third floor please! I must tell you also I am not a nurse, I am a nurses aide I think maybe I wasnt clear enough or something, We do the hands on care are poor nurses are so swamped with paper work and charting and pill passing ,they really dont get to do what I always thought the nursing profession did! I would never trade the job tho as I love hands on with the people and would not want the responibility that those poor nurses have!!!!We have wonderful nurses who are very compassionate but they just do not have the time to have much patient contact. I can not advise you mary as I would hate to tell you wrong but you could ask on the dr. board as they are wonderful about answering! Oh no it just occured to me you are a teacher, I am the worse speller and oh my was not much of a student!!! Please forgive me !!!! Today I am happy but a bit tired I have been to my favorite place 3 days in a row and I am a bit tired! I went today as a co worker called and said visit now as one of your people is going to heaven soon and needs a hand holding and they were short , so could I come to help and feed lunch and maybe sit and wipe a tear or just read a bit! I was out the door and it is so emotional draining but felt so good to give instead of whining my own tears! I am god blessed that i have found my happiness.My granny used to be where I work she slipped away the end of Jan. Broke my heart as she had alzhimers but she new me some days and she would come looking for my familiar face Oh how I loved having her near me!!! I do miss her greatly but know she is at peace! would you like to email ? I feel like maybe I talk to much and dont want to offend anyone or hog the board but anyone who is interested may read I dont mind!I would love to know what makes each happy in there lives or there dreams and what they do in our wonderful world! Well friend it sure sounds as if you have a wonderful plan, I commend you on it!!! I also like the bath with the good smelling scents!!!!! Makes us feel pretty and fresh, which can lift any mood! Well I am really tired tonight and did not get to much sleep the last few so am hoping tonight I will sleep well! I will post more soon! Sleep well and keep the spirts up! What grade do u teach? My son would like to be a english teacher he is not like his mom lol! He will be a junior in college!Goodnight !Hugs to u!

MARY. S. on 6/02/01 at 10:45 (049670)

WHAT A WAY TO SPEND THE DAY!! I WATCHED MY GRANDMOTHER AND MY FATHER PASS AWAY. I KNEW GOD WAS IN THAT ROOM READY TO CATCH THEM. I THINK ONE OF THE GREATEST ACTS OF COMPASSION AND LOVE IS TO BE ABLE TO HELP SOMEONE PASS FROM THIS WORLD INTO LIFE EVERLASTING. IT IS SORTA LIKE HELPING TO DELIVER A BABY--YOU ARE HELPING TO DELIVER THIS CHILD BACK INTO THE HANDS OF GOD.
I AM A FOURTH GRADE SCHOOL TEACHER, AND I HAVE BEEN TEACHING FOR 32 YEARS. I AM NO SPRING CHICKEN--I'M 54. I COULD HAVE RETIRED WITH 25 YEARS, BUT JUST WASN'T READY TO PART WITH THE CHILDREN OR THE FULL PAY CHECK. I LEARN SOOO MUCH AT SCHOOL AND THE DAY FLIES BY. HAVING TO LEARN ALL THE MODERN TECHNOLOGY HAS REALLY PUT THIS OLD BRAIN IN GEAR. I KNOW I'M BETTER OFF WORKING AND DREAD GETTING TO THE POINT THAT I CAN'T. THAT'S ONE REASON THE SUCCESS OF THIS SURGERY IS SOOOO IMPORTANT TO ME--I JUST COULDN'T KEEP STANDING IN SUCH PAIN.
I KNOW YOU WERE SO HAPPY TO HAVE YOUR GRANDMOTHER CLOSE BY. GRANDMOTHERS ARE IN A LEAGUE ALL THEIR OWN!!! THEY LOVE UNCOMDITIONALLY, THINK YOU ARE WONDERFUL NOW MATTER WHAT YOU'VE DONE AND THINK IT IS THEIR MISSION IN LIFE TO DOCTOR AND FEED YOU. OH---THAT FOOD!!!!!! I HANG ON TO EVERY DETAIL OF HER FACE, VOICE AND THE WAY SHE SMELLED. I'M SOOOO SORRY THAT YOU HAVE LOST YOURS FOR NOW--NOT FOREVER.
WE COULD E-MAIL IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO, BUT HOW DO WE DO THAT WITHOUT POSTING IT ON THE MESSAGE BOARD? I CAN BE DENSE AT TIMES.
TELL YOU SON TO HANG IN THERE--WE NEED GOOD MALE TEACHERS. I'LL BE PULLING FOR HIM. MOST OF OUR MALE TEACHERS HAVE SUMMER JOBS WITH ALL THE VACATION TIME. THEY ARE ALSO ABLE TO BE ON THE SAME SCHEDULE AS THEIR CHILDREN, SO IT'S GOOD FOR THE FAMILY.
I HOPE YOU HAVE BEEN ABLE TO GET SOME GOOD SLEEP!!!!! MY LEG IS REALLY SORE TODAY. I'M HEADING BACK TO THE BED. HUGS TO U 2!!

Andrea R. on 5/30/01 at 17:59 (049386)

Tammie,

Aren't you lucky to have the time off from work. Most companies would just find you a temporary desk job. I'm two weeks post op and since I have a desk job I'm due to go back on Monday. I just started weight bearing and am still spending most of my time off my feet. I'll see how it goes. The building I work in is partially under construction and the walk to my office is quite long. If it gets to be too much my doctor did say he would sign a note that I Wasn't allow to walk more than so many feet. He can't keep me out of work but he can restrict it enough that the company either has to find someone to push or carry me around OR send me home at their cost.

I've been very lucky in having very little pain but I've spent most of my time on the couch with my foot up.

Keep taking it easy and best of luck.

Andrea

Susan U on 5/30/01 at 18:23 (049391)

I too am 6 weeks post-op. My foot feels pretty good the last 2 days. My son closed on his condo last Friday and I spent Friday, Saturday and part of Sunday helping with cleaning it. It is the most time I have spent on my feet since the surgery. Of course I was in pain, but I felt I wanted to be there for him. Surprisingly, after giving myself a rest Sunday afternoon and night, I felt pretty good on Monday. I still use a quadcane, though. Actually, the trouble I have with me knee is much worse than my foot right now. I go to see my dr. tomorrow morning for a check-up and will probably start my series of injections for my knee (3 shots over 2 weeks, YUCK!). Anyway, hope your recovery continues to be a good one. Keep us posted.

Re: Re:Andrea and Susan

Tammie on 5/30/01 at hrmin (049402)

Hi ,First I am sorry that your co has desk jobs for you if you wanted the time off, I think it would be very hard at 2 weeks to return to any work,My job does not have desk work or sit down work available, I am a nurses aide,We are on our feet for many many hours and they are life line and we need good healthy feet not to mention our backs! I would rather be back to work I am bored silly and feel as tho I am letting them down as my co. is very good to me, But I think they would rather I come back healthy so as not to put myself or patients at a risk. In any case I am NOT looking foward to being home! I do love my family but gee after 6 weeks enough is enough.So I wish I could trade with youand give you a break andrea!!!!

Susan,
So we both are on the same road eh? I feel pretty good to during the day I would say about 70% but it is the nights that do me in or late evenings!I discussed this again with the Pod., and he really thinks it is me overdoing it, I just cant figure out what I am overdoing? He says rest a hour walk a hour so forth , well life does not work that method lol as you know!!! I will be a bit better trying tho as I do want to get back to work soon,. Let me know how you are coming along as I would be interested. Shots to the knee Yuck and double yuck I am sorry for you. Take care and hope to talk again.

Janet D. on 5/30/01 at 21:08 (049411)

Hi, I'm 5 weeks post op and I've still got alot of pain and swelling. It's really weird, but along with the pain, I also have quite alot of numbness in my heel as well as the bottom of my foot near my toes. Hard to explain. The swelling and most of the pain is where the plantar fasciitis is. I've been wearing shoes for 3 weeks now, but they really aren't comfortable. My podiatrist has orthotics for me. Tried them last week and they were horrible - too high in the arch and made my foot feel worse. He's sent them back to be adjusted and should be here sometime before the end of the week. I really doubt they're going to be any better though. I've tried orthotics before and they've only made the problem worse. Is there any other alternative to orthotics?

I'm having PT 2 or 3 times a week, but I don't think I'm benefitting from it much. I guess I expected to feel better by now. I know I'm probably on my foot more than I should be, but I'm not the type to just sit and do nothing. I'm tired of everyone saying that everything I'm experiencing is normal. Is it normal? Hopefully someone can shed some light on it for me.

Good luck Tammie and to the rest of you.

Tammie on 5/30/01 at 22:46 (049417)

Oh my my my dear friend Janet,
First I am no dr. and I dont have a ton of knowledge or expierance here but I can totaly relate to you!!!I am assuming the surgery was the pf release?Well I hate the same things that you do my friend I am not sure what i hate more the not knowing and worrying that the surgery didnt work the way we had hoped or that we have found out nothing is easy when it comes to our lovely feet! I dont know how to answer your??? But My Dr. says the basic healing is in the first 5 to 6 weeks and from then on it could be anywhere from then up to and including 6 months to a year. And that listening to our feet and body can make a difference in the recovery! If they hurt we are to baby them lol listen to me will u lol , they say dont overdo it elevate for swelling and ice, my dr. told me to lay around by the pool lol get that, I hate that stuff I would rather mow the grass around it. But he says the more we listen to and take care of the symptoms now the better chance of having a better recovery, so my friend sounds as if you might be in for some interesting lessons on listening to your foot and giving it a break after all it has been put thru allot ! I dont know about pt my dr. did not order that yet? I do know that orthodics take sometime to break in and get used to, I like mine now but my sore foot still feels a bit tender to them. I have wondered for some time now if it is a culpert to some of my problems of my night pain . Dr. says no so what do I know? Well I wish you good luck and I hope that you will give yourself more time to heal and forgive yourself for being human and expecting allot right away,I am learning we can not dictate to the time it takes to heal! Take care and keep posting it is good to share! Makes us all feel like yes we are not alone and not crazy!

DR. Zuckerman on 5/30/01 at 23:26 (049428)

If we are talking about plantar fascia release then it could take up to six months before you feel the pain go away completely. Too much too soon will only make the healing time and pain increase. The pool sounds like fun to me, but then I can walk without pain. So I guess read some books. and float on the raft. Watch some movies. How about going to heelspurc.com for some fun??

Tammie on 5/30/01 at 23:51 (049429)

And Lord help the person who trys to come between the computer and me for the next 4 weeks if I am to remain somewhat sane!

BrianG on 5/31/01 at 08:04 (049446)

Hi Andrea,

What type of office building are you in? I work in a building with a couple hundred employees. We have a wheel chair in the lobby for emergency use. There might be one in your lobby also. If so, maybe you could ask someone to give you a push to your office. I work in security, and we've done things like that for people in the past. Those hard, concrete, industrial floors / rugs are a killer! Good luck

BCG

Andrea R. on 5/31/01 at 16:34 (049495)

Brian,

The building is two floors. There is no lobby right now. If there was it would be closer to my office and have someone there to help me. It would also give me easy access to the elevator. The cafeteria is on the second floor and the nurse told me that I'll should probably start bringing my lunch. If I did I'm not sure how I would carry it. I suppose to talk to the nurse tomorrow and then I'll talk to Human Resources.

Andrea

MARY S. on 5/31/01 at 18:18 (049498)

TAMMIE--I AM ONE WEEK POST OP TOMORROW AND HAVE 4-6 MORE TO GO IF ALL GOES WELL. I AM ALSO TRYING TO REMAIN SANE, SO MAYBE WE CAN HELP EACH OTHER OUT. THIS MESSAGE BOARD IS A GREAT OUTLET--FULL OF INFO, AND SHARING, CARING PEOPLE. FOR NOW, I'M GOING TO WATCH 3 DAYS OF A SOAP OPERA THAT I TAPED, THEN READ FOR AWHILE. I REALLY LOOK FORWARD TO BATHING, SOME BATH AND BODY PRODUCTS AND A FRESH GOWN. I FOUND OUT EARLY THAT IT FEELS GOOD TO PAMPER MYSELF EVEN IF MY BATHS ARE A MODIFIED VERSION OF THE REAL THING. I WOULD GIVE ANYTHING JUST TO BE ABLE TO HAVE A LONG, HOT SOAK IN THE TUB.
ALL OF THIS IS BOUND TO PAY OFF AT SOME POINT IN TIME. I DREAM OF PAIN FREE FEET FOR ALL OF US!! HOPE YOU HAVE A GOOD NIGHT

Tammie on 5/31/01 at 21:20 (049513)

Sounds wonderfullllllllllll who can resist bath and body works pampering begin , You have a wonderful outlook Mary !!! I admire you! I had a wonderful night last night and ended up on sofa lol as was keeping the hubby up,and it was about 2 when i headed out here but now I got to watch the cat and dog chase each other and climb into the clothes basket teasing each other it was very comical!!! I really laughed watching them! I finally did sleep and was excited and scared as I went in to see my empoyers and my patients!!! They all were really wonderful tho disapointed they seemed to understand and want the best for me! My boss said come in to visit with your patients they miss you, BUT DO NOT Work lol lol he said that twice. He told me to enjoy my time off as they would work me when I get back as will be prime vacation season. I was very sappy as it was so good to be there and my patients were so sweet, I have to tell you about my favorite lol she is a little woman about 90 in a wheel chair and she is the perfect lady or u would think so !!!! She was so cute she says oh my hear is my diamond (me) oh go get her a wheel chair she needs to rest her foot lol, well noone seemed to really hear her so she preceded to say well what the h--- kinda place is this dont you see my diamond is dull she needs a wheel chair so she can become bright again lol It was just so unusual for her as her to cuss is totaly not her and tho she confuses her words and memory at times what she said made so much sense to me and it overwelmed me with good feelings! I enjoyed my visit with her!!! I seen many of my people and tho I explained i have to be off a bit longer they all wished me a hurried rrecovery and to come back soon, I have been going in at least once a week for about 4 hours, I now must limit my time in and maybe go a bit more often heheh when I was there for the 4 hrs they felt I was doing a bit more then I should be ! I willtry to go in at meal times then I can help assist them with feeding as that is a sitting job and can visit to! So see Mary I to may be finding some way to make me happy! I feel like I was useful today and happy! I dont even care if I can sleep or not tonight it doesnt matter cause my heart feels good! Well this is longer then I wanted but I wanted to share with u! Please Mary keep up the chin ! I am in awe with your courage! A goodnight hug to you as I am off to a soak and some hmmm Bath and body works but first must decide will it be a pearberry or a plumaria or a cucumber or u get it anyways loll lol I have many scents to choose from!

MARY S. on 6/01/01 at 10:50 (049581)

TAMMIE-- I JUST LOVED YOUR MESSAGE!! YOU SOUND LIKE MY KIND OF PERSON--GETTING JOY OUT OF HELPING OTHERS. YOUR JOB LITTERALLY CREATES A MISSION FIELD FOR YOU. WHAT A BLESSING FOR YOU AND YOUR PATIENTS!!
I FEEL THE SAME WAY IN MY CLASSROON. AFTER 32 YEARS IN THE CLASSROOM, I KNOW THAT TEACHING SKILLS IS NOT THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF MY JOB. THESE CHILDREN NEED ALOT OF LOVE, SELF-ESTEEM BOOSTING AND ENCOURAGEMENT. WHAT I GET BACK FROM THOSE CHILDREN IS PRICELESS AND WILL STAY IN MY HEART FOREVER. THE SAD PART IS THAT SCHOOL IS OUT, AND I DON'T HAVE MY BABIES TO LOVE EVERY DAY. (NOT SAYING I DON'T ENJOY MY SUMMER BREAK) BEING WITH THEM JUST MAKES ME A STRONGER, BETTER PERSON.
DON'T YOU JUST LOVE YOUR OLDER PATIENTS!! THEY ARE JUST A TREASUREHOUSE OF STORIES, MEMORIES, AND GOOD ADVICE ON LIFE. THANK GOD FOR GOOD NURSES LIKE YOU WHO SEE THEM AS A GIFT AND NOT A BURDEN.
WELL, I HAVE DECIDED THAT EVERY DAY(IF I CAN) I AM GOING TO HAVE A PLAN. I'M GOING TO GET UP, HAVE BREAKFAST AND CHECK MY COMPUTER. NEXT, I'M GOING TO FRESHEN UP, PUT ON MAKE-UP AND DO HAIR--EVEN A LITTLE PERFUME! I ALWAYS FEEL BETTER IF I AM AT LEAST PRESENTABLE. THEN, I WANT TO DO WHAT I CAN TO HELP MY HUSBAND STRAIGHTEN UP--FOLD TOWELS,WIPE COUNTERS-THINGS THAT I CAN DO. THEN IT WILL BE TIME TO PUT FEET UP AND WATCH MORNING TV AND READ SOME. I'VE JUST STARTED THE 'LEFT BEHIND' SERIES AND I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF 'THE PRAYER OF JABEZ', WHICH IS FANTASTIC. VERY SAMLL, THIN BOOK THAT IS BASED ON SCRIPTUE. IT TEACHES US HOW TO PRAY FOR GOD'S BLESSINGS WITHOUT FEELING SELFISH--HE IS OUR FATHER, LOVES US AND WANTS TO BESS US GREATLY. IT IS AMAZING HOW MANY BLESSING HAVE COME MY WAY JUST SINCE I HAVE LEARNED HOW TO PRAY THE PRAYER OF JABEZ.
WELL, I KNOW YOU DON'T WANT TO BE BORED WITH MY STEP BY STEP PLAN FOR THE DAY, BUT I THINK A PLAN WILL HELP ME TO FEEL LIKE I'M NOT FLOUNDERING. I THINK THAT WHEN YOUR IN A BAD SITUATION, YOU NEED THINGS TO LOOK FORWARD TO DURING THE DAY TO KEEP THE SPIRITS UP. I'M ALREADY LOOKING FORWARD TO MY 'PEARBERRY' BATH TONIGHT--CLEAN GOWN AND FRESH SHEETS. IT IS AMAZING HOW FRESH SHEETS AND MY HONEYSUCKLE CANDLE CAN TRANSPORT ME TO THE NICEST PLACE. I DO BELIEVE IN AROMATHERAPY!
THEY TOOK MY CAST OFF YESTERDAY AND PUT ME IN A HUGE, CUMBERSOME BLACK BOOT TO THE KNEE. MY LEG WAS MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE BEFORE THE CHANGE. I DID GET TO SLEEP WITHOUT THE BOOT, BUT THE LEG HURT MORE BECAUSE IT IS SOOOOO EXPOSED. IT FEELS SO STRANGE TO HAVE NOTHING ON MY LEG AT NIGHT AFTER ONLY ONE WEEK OF SURGERY. THE INCISION IS ABOUT 4-5 INCHES LONG.
LET ME ASK YOU THIS-MY NURSE FRIEND--THEY HAVE NEVER TOLD ME TO PUT ICE ON MY LEG AND I HEAR EVERYONE TALK ABOUT ICING. DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE FINE FOR ME TO DO THAT?
YOU GOT ME OFF TO A GREAT START TODAY, TAMMIE, WITH YOUR UPLIFTING MESSAGE.
I'LL BE LOOKING FORWARD TO TALKING TO YOU AGAIN SOON. YOU ARE GOOD MEDICINE FOR ME.
I HOPE AND PRAY THAT YOU ARE FEELING GREAT TODAY AND THAT YOU ARE ABLE TO GET SOME GOOD SLEEP. KEEP ON PAMPERING!!!

Tammie on 6/01/01 at 21:39 (049646)

Mary,
Yes you also sound like a more then dedicted to your profession, it is good to hear there are people who care more then just a job for a paycheck!!!Trust me I do have my days that I wonder how or why I want to do my type of work!!! Usually do to a co worker, not a patient tho! The harderst thing is the knowledge that it is the last stop before they go home as we like to refer to it, there is no discharge unless it is to heaven! We say third floor please! I must tell you also I am not a nurse, I am a nurses aide I think maybe I wasnt clear enough or something, We do the hands on care are poor nurses are so swamped with paper work and charting and pill passing ,they really dont get to do what I always thought the nursing profession did! I would never trade the job tho as I love hands on with the people and would not want the responibility that those poor nurses have!!!!We have wonderful nurses who are very compassionate but they just do not have the time to have much patient contact. I can not advise you mary as I would hate to tell you wrong but you could ask on the dr. board as they are wonderful about answering! Oh no it just occured to me you are a teacher, I am the worse speller and oh my was not much of a student!!! Please forgive me !!!! Today I am happy but a bit tired I have been to my favorite place 3 days in a row and I am a bit tired! I went today as a co worker called and said visit now as one of your people is going to heaven soon and needs a hand holding and they were short , so could I come to help and feed lunch and maybe sit and wipe a tear or just read a bit! I was out the door and it is so emotional draining but felt so good to give instead of whining my own tears! I am god blessed that i have found my happiness.My granny used to be where I work she slipped away the end of Jan. Broke my heart as she had alzhimers but she new me some days and she would come looking for my familiar face Oh how I loved having her near me!!! I do miss her greatly but know she is at peace! would you like to email ? I feel like maybe I talk to much and dont want to offend anyone or hog the board but anyone who is interested may read I dont mind!I would love to know what makes each happy in there lives or there dreams and what they do in our wonderful world! Well friend it sure sounds as if you have a wonderful plan, I commend you on it!!! I also like the bath with the good smelling scents!!!!! Makes us feel pretty and fresh, which can lift any mood! Well I am really tired tonight and did not get to much sleep the last few so am hoping tonight I will sleep well! I will post more soon! Sleep well and keep the spirts up! What grade do u teach? My son would like to be a english teacher he is not like his mom lol! He will be a junior in college!Goodnight !Hugs to u!

MARY. S. on 6/02/01 at 10:45 (049670)

WHAT A WAY TO SPEND THE DAY!! I WATCHED MY GRANDMOTHER AND MY FATHER PASS AWAY. I KNEW GOD WAS IN THAT ROOM READY TO CATCH THEM. I THINK ONE OF THE GREATEST ACTS OF COMPASSION AND LOVE IS TO BE ABLE TO HELP SOMEONE PASS FROM THIS WORLD INTO LIFE EVERLASTING. IT IS SORTA LIKE HELPING TO DELIVER A BABY--YOU ARE HELPING TO DELIVER THIS CHILD BACK INTO THE HANDS OF GOD.
I AM A FOURTH GRADE SCHOOL TEACHER, AND I HAVE BEEN TEACHING FOR 32 YEARS. I AM NO SPRING CHICKEN--I'M 54. I COULD HAVE RETIRED WITH 25 YEARS, BUT JUST WASN'T READY TO PART WITH THE CHILDREN OR THE FULL PAY CHECK. I LEARN SOOO MUCH AT SCHOOL AND THE DAY FLIES BY. HAVING TO LEARN ALL THE MODERN TECHNOLOGY HAS REALLY PUT THIS OLD BRAIN IN GEAR. I KNOW I'M BETTER OFF WORKING AND DREAD GETTING TO THE POINT THAT I CAN'T. THAT'S ONE REASON THE SUCCESS OF THIS SURGERY IS SOOOO IMPORTANT TO ME--I JUST COULDN'T KEEP STANDING IN SUCH PAIN.
I KNOW YOU WERE SO HAPPY TO HAVE YOUR GRANDMOTHER CLOSE BY. GRANDMOTHERS ARE IN A LEAGUE ALL THEIR OWN!!! THEY LOVE UNCOMDITIONALLY, THINK YOU ARE WONDERFUL NOW MATTER WHAT YOU'VE DONE AND THINK IT IS THEIR MISSION IN LIFE TO DOCTOR AND FEED YOU. OH---THAT FOOD!!!!!! I HANG ON TO EVERY DETAIL OF HER FACE, VOICE AND THE WAY SHE SMELLED. I'M SOOOO SORRY THAT YOU HAVE LOST YOURS FOR NOW--NOT FOREVER.
WE COULD E-MAIL IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO, BUT HOW DO WE DO THAT WITHOUT POSTING IT ON THE MESSAGE BOARD? I CAN BE DENSE AT TIMES.
TELL YOU SON TO HANG IN THERE--WE NEED GOOD MALE TEACHERS. I'LL BE PULLING FOR HIM. MOST OF OUR MALE TEACHERS HAVE SUMMER JOBS WITH ALL THE VACATION TIME. THEY ARE ALSO ABLE TO BE ON THE SAME SCHEDULE AS THEIR CHILDREN, SO IT'S GOOD FOR THE FAMILY.
I HOPE YOU HAVE BEEN ABLE TO GET SOME GOOD SLEEP!!!!! MY LEG IS REALLY SORE TODAY. I'M HEADING BACK TO THE BED. HUGS TO U 2!!