Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I could just cry!

Posted by Carmel M on 5/30/01 at 16:51 (049379)

Hi all, I've been reading posts for about a week now and today I am almost in tears after reading Rock Cogar's post. Do you think it's true...I'll have pf for the rest of my life?

I've had pf for almost two years and I was told it heals within 6 to 8 months. My podiatrist here (we moved a year ago) said he couldn't understand why it hasn't healed. I'm wearing custom orthotics and have had two cortizone shots within the last 6 months or so.

I don't know what causes a 'flare.' All I know is that it starts to hurt very mildly and then just gets worse. I try to rest but I have three children and it's nearly impossible to get much rest. I ice and stretch every night and usually take ibuprofen. I need to see my podiatrist again I suppose, but I'm not sure there is anything he can do. After reading these boards I've learned why too many cortizone shots are so dangerous. I just wonder if another visit to him will really be any help.

Well that's my story...thanks for listening.

Carmel

Re: I could just cry!

Nancy N on 5/30/01 at 17:26 (049384)

Carmel--

Have you read Scott's heel pain book? You might find some good ideas in there. Don't forget that it's OK to try another doctor if you don't feel you're getting anywhere with the one you have now. If you've been seeing a podiatrist, you might want to try an orthopedist or vice versa. And have you considered ESWT? You can find lots of info on this new procedure on this site.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Valerie S on 5/30/01 at hrmin (049425)

Hi Carmel.

Welcome to the message board... the message board full of pain and realization. I'm sorry to hear you are in pain, and let me tell you that I totally understand the overwhelming feeling of finding this place. I too was just about devastated to see people here that have had PF for so long. I think that most people get over PF and don't have it for the rest of their lives... try to realize that people who are feeling great aren't hanging around this message board as much as those of us who are struggling. We are here for each other, and sometimes when you look around and see that everyone is suffering it might seem like you can't get out, but many, many, in fact most, people get better! Don't give up hope.

Follow Nancy's advice, and ask any questions that you want. You will find great supportive friends here, if you want them. Please take it easy on yourself. Just remember that you are not alone.

I hope you feel better soon... now call your doctor! There is life after cortizone!

Your friend, Val.

Rock Cogar on 5/30/01 at hrmin (049427)

Carmel,

While it is my opinion, that most of will have flare-ups from time to time over many years, this is far from actually being in pain much of of the time.

My last remission lasted 8 months. Each time I learn more about what does not work for me (i.e. squatting down on my toes,...), so that I hope to make the next remission years long rather than just months.

So what I am saying here is we must get really smart about our individual cases of PF.

I hope this helps.

Rock.
CO.USA.

Re: I could just cry! DON"T CRY!!

Denise D. on 5/31/01 at 01:40 (049433)

Hi Carmel,
My heart went out to you when I read your post. Believe me, we all know what your going through. Don't let your feelings overwhelm you, I was doing the same thing myself. You've got to believe that your going to get better and act upon it, please do go back to your Pod. or if your not satisfied with him, switch Dr's.
You are not in this alone, this message board keeps me going, so when you need support, or have a question this is the place to come.
I wish I could be of more help to you, but just know that I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Denise D.

Re: to Carmel - dry your tears!

Julie on 5/31/01 at 02:52 (049435)

Hi Carmel

Rock is being realistic, and I didn't think that his original post was discouraging at all. He is better, but he has found, through experience, that certain activities bring on a flare-up, and now he knows to avoid these. He also knows, through experience, what will help. This should be heartening, not discouraging to us.

So, what's going on here? This is what I think. Once the plantar fascia has healed (and it can, and does) most of us will need to be aware that we have a weakness there. This does not mean that we are going to be in pain for the rest of our lives. It does mean that we need to be vigilant and sensible in order to avoid recurrence. In other words, we oughtn't to burn our orthotics with cries of joy, start running around barefoot, and immediately return to running 10 miles a day (orwhatever level of weight-bearing activity we enjoyed before). The factors that predisposed us to PF, especially if one of them was a biomechanical fault such as over-pronation, don't vanish when the pain goes.

I don't find this difficult to accept. My own PF, if it helps you to hear a sort-of 'success story', is that it took five months to get me from considerable (not excruciating, but bad enough) pain while walking and standing to the point where I am now - virtually pain-free most of the time, with an occasional twinge, and a sore heel in the evening if I've been on my feet all day. (That happened yesterday, when we spent the day at the Tate Gallery - I was sore last night, but I'm fine this morning). I've been at this level since January, and it is acceptable to me: I regard these little 'warnings' not as dire forebodings, but as friendly reminders that I do have a weakness that I have to be aware of, and accommodate. This is not the end of the world, just something to cope with.

Read the heel pain book. If all you have tried are orthotics and cortisone injections, there is a wealth of help out there. Your podiatrist may not be able to 'do anything' more (though it would be worth seeing him again, or finding another who may be able to be of more help) but there is plenty that you can do. Have you tried taping, for instance? It rests the fascia as well as relieving pain; there are instructions in Part 2 of the book. What kind of shoes do you wear? They should give your arches good support (ALL the time: never go barefoot.)

And so on. Read the book and get pro-active in your treatment. And be a bit careful with the stretching. What exactly are you doing, and how are you doing it? Is it painful when you do it, or afterwards? Weight-bearing stretching, such as the wall stretch, isn't right for everyone.

Welcome to heelspurs.com, where, as Val has told you, you will find sympathetic and knowledgeable friends. You're not alone.

All the best, Julie

Re: Carmel, go to the Success Stories board

Julie on 5/31/01 at 03:21 (049438)

Hi Carmel

Please read Nancy S's story on the Success Stories board. She has had PF for exactly as long as you have, and her description of her journey will give you inspiration as well as information.

BrianG on 5/31/01 at 08:30 (049449)

Hi Carmel,

This is a good site if you want to read about pain issues, http://www.pain.com

Good luck
BCG

HoustonKay on 5/31/01 at 19:32 (049506)

I feel the same way. Have had pf for 3 months. Saw pod in April and he gave me one exercise (which I cannot do because it makes my hips sore) and told me to come back in August if I wasn't ok. It seems like so long to heal--and it's no time at all compared to some of you. Complicating healing is the fact that I've had 2 heart attacks and have to walk 30 minutes a day for my heart. What I'm doing is walking 10 min. 3 times a day. I have improved. When this first started (and I blame it on a certain pair of shoes) I couldn't walk at all and was afraid of having another heart attack. What a choice--have another heart attack or damage my feet--all because of a couple of pieces of fascia!! Anyway, I'm not losing hope for a complete recovery, and you shouldn't, either.

Cynthia D on 5/31/01 at 22:05 (049518)

Wow Kay, what a delimna. Can you try a stationary bicycle? I love mine when I can get to it.

Re: to Houston - exercise

Julie on 6/01/01 at 02:50 (049544)

This really is a dilemma. Houston, do you tape your foot for walking? If you haven't, can I suggest you try it. If it helps, you might be able to improve on your ten minutes - or at least do those ten minutes with less discomfort. Instructions for taping are in Part 2 of the heel pain book (have you read it?)

For a therapeutic cardiovascular workout, it's best to keep going for 30 minutes, as you know. Cynthia's idea of a stationary bike is a good one: many people find they can manage this.

Can you swim? That would give you just what you need, without weight-bearing. There's a man who comes to the pool I go to who 'runs on the spot' in the water for his heart - it looks to me like terrific exercise.

Your pod gave you one exercise that hurts your hips, and told you to come back in August? Three months? Find another, one who will advise you on the whole battery of conservative treatments for PF, and work with you towards your healing.

Have you read the heel pain book? Do!

Nancy N on 5/30/01 at 17:26 (049384)

Carmel--

Have you read Scott's heel pain book? You might find some good ideas in there. Don't forget that it's OK to try another doctor if you don't feel you're getting anywhere with the one you have now. If you've been seeing a podiatrist, you might want to try an orthopedist or vice versa. And have you considered ESWT? You can find lots of info on this new procedure on this site.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Valerie S on 5/30/01 at hrmin (049425)

Hi Carmel.

Welcome to the message board... the message board full of pain and realization. I'm sorry to hear you are in pain, and let me tell you that I totally understand the overwhelming feeling of finding this place. I too was just about devastated to see people here that have had PF for so long. I think that most people get over PF and don't have it for the rest of their lives... try to realize that people who are feeling great aren't hanging around this message board as much as those of us who are struggling. We are here for each other, and sometimes when you look around and see that everyone is suffering it might seem like you can't get out, but many, many, in fact most, people get better! Don't give up hope.

Follow Nancy's advice, and ask any questions that you want. You will find great supportive friends here, if you want them. Please take it easy on yourself. Just remember that you are not alone.

I hope you feel better soon... now call your doctor! There is life after cortizone!

Your friend, Val.

Rock Cogar on 5/30/01 at hrmin (049427)

Carmel,

While it is my opinion, that most of will have flare-ups from time to time over many years, this is far from actually being in pain much of of the time.

My last remission lasted 8 months. Each time I learn more about what does not work for me (i.e. squatting down on my toes,...), so that I hope to make the next remission years long rather than just months.

So what I am saying here is we must get really smart about our individual cases of PF.

I hope this helps.

Rock.
CO.USA.

Re: I could just cry! DON"T CRY!!

Denise D. on 5/31/01 at 01:40 (049433)

Hi Carmel,
My heart went out to you when I read your post. Believe me, we all know what your going through. Don't let your feelings overwhelm you, I was doing the same thing myself. You've got to believe that your going to get better and act upon it, please do go back to your Pod. or if your not satisfied with him, switch Dr's.
You are not in this alone, this message board keeps me going, so when you need support, or have a question this is the place to come.
I wish I could be of more help to you, but just know that I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Denise D.

Re: to Carmel - dry your tears!

Julie on 5/31/01 at 02:52 (049435)

Hi Carmel

Rock is being realistic, and I didn't think that his original post was discouraging at all. He is better, but he has found, through experience, that certain activities bring on a flare-up, and now he knows to avoid these. He also knows, through experience, what will help. This should be heartening, not discouraging to us.

So, what's going on here? This is what I think. Once the plantar fascia has healed (and it can, and does) most of us will need to be aware that we have a weakness there. This does not mean that we are going to be in pain for the rest of our lives. It does mean that we need to be vigilant and sensible in order to avoid recurrence. In other words, we oughtn't to burn our orthotics with cries of joy, start running around barefoot, and immediately return to running 10 miles a day (orwhatever level of weight-bearing activity we enjoyed before). The factors that predisposed us to PF, especially if one of them was a biomechanical fault such as over-pronation, don't vanish when the pain goes.

I don't find this difficult to accept. My own PF, if it helps you to hear a sort-of 'success story', is that it took five months to get me from considerable (not excruciating, but bad enough) pain while walking and standing to the point where I am now - virtually pain-free most of the time, with an occasional twinge, and a sore heel in the evening if I've been on my feet all day. (That happened yesterday, when we spent the day at the Tate Gallery - I was sore last night, but I'm fine this morning). I've been at this level since January, and it is acceptable to me: I regard these little 'warnings' not as dire forebodings, but as friendly reminders that I do have a weakness that I have to be aware of, and accommodate. This is not the end of the world, just something to cope with.

Read the heel pain book. If all you have tried are orthotics and cortisone injections, there is a wealth of help out there. Your podiatrist may not be able to 'do anything' more (though it would be worth seeing him again, or finding another who may be able to be of more help) but there is plenty that you can do. Have you tried taping, for instance? It rests the fascia as well as relieving pain; there are instructions in Part 2 of the book. What kind of shoes do you wear? They should give your arches good support (ALL the time: never go barefoot.)

And so on. Read the book and get pro-active in your treatment. And be a bit careful with the stretching. What exactly are you doing, and how are you doing it? Is it painful when you do it, or afterwards? Weight-bearing stretching, such as the wall stretch, isn't right for everyone.

Welcome to heelspurs.com, where, as Val has told you, you will find sympathetic and knowledgeable friends. You're not alone.

All the best, Julie

Re: Carmel, go to the Success Stories board

Julie on 5/31/01 at 03:21 (049438)

Hi Carmel

Please read Nancy S's story on the Success Stories board. She has had PF for exactly as long as you have, and her description of her journey will give you inspiration as well as information.

BrianG on 5/31/01 at 08:30 (049449)

Hi Carmel,

This is a good site if you want to read about pain issues, http://www.pain.com

Good luck
BCG

HoustonKay on 5/31/01 at 19:32 (049506)

I feel the same way. Have had pf for 3 months. Saw pod in April and he gave me one exercise (which I cannot do because it makes my hips sore) and told me to come back in August if I wasn't ok. It seems like so long to heal--and it's no time at all compared to some of you. Complicating healing is the fact that I've had 2 heart attacks and have to walk 30 minutes a day for my heart. What I'm doing is walking 10 min. 3 times a day. I have improved. When this first started (and I blame it on a certain pair of shoes) I couldn't walk at all and was afraid of having another heart attack. What a choice--have another heart attack or damage my feet--all because of a couple of pieces of fascia!! Anyway, I'm not losing hope for a complete recovery, and you shouldn't, either.

Cynthia D on 5/31/01 at 22:05 (049518)

Wow Kay, what a delimna. Can you try a stationary bicycle? I love mine when I can get to it.

Re: to Houston - exercise

Julie on 6/01/01 at 02:50 (049544)

This really is a dilemma. Houston, do you tape your foot for walking? If you haven't, can I suggest you try it. If it helps, you might be able to improve on your ten minutes - or at least do those ten minutes with less discomfort. Instructions for taping are in Part 2 of the heel pain book (have you read it?)

For a therapeutic cardiovascular workout, it's best to keep going for 30 minutes, as you know. Cynthia's idea of a stationary bike is a good one: many people find they can manage this.

Can you swim? That would give you just what you need, without weight-bearing. There's a man who comes to the pool I go to who 'runs on the spot' in the water for his heart - it looks to me like terrific exercise.

Your pod gave you one exercise that hurts your hips, and told you to come back in August? Three months? Find another, one who will advise you on the whole battery of conservative treatments for PF, and work with you towards your healing.

Have you read the heel pain book? Do!