Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery vs ESWT

Posted by Carol D on 5/31/01 at 06:46 (049440)

I've been reading the message board and am wondering why some of you chose surgery over ESWT. I am now about 4 months post-ESWT and I can't honestly say I'm doing better than before. Part of this is my fault, I know that. I am on my feet about 4 out of the 8 hours at work. I'm considering a second ESWT but have not dismissed the idea of surgery. Actually I'm thinking perhaps this may be the way to go as it WILL keep me down and off my feet and have a chance to heal. Anybody have any thoughts??

Re: Surgery vs ESWT

BrianG on 5/31/01 at 08:35 (049450)

Hi Carol,

These are my thoughts about surgery vs ESWT. Sugery is available everywhere, and is covered by insurance. ESWT is only in selected cities and most people are having a hard time getting their insurance to pay for it. Hopefully this will be changing, can't happen soon enough for me!

BCG

Christy D on 5/31/01 at 13:40 (049479)

Yes..that's my problem. My insurance will pay for surgery but not ESWT. I am in Calif. and it's costs $4500 a foot. I have heels spurs in BOTH heels. I have tried everything and nothing seems to help! It's going on one year of foot pain now and I can't stand it much more! I just saw my doc and had my 3rd cortisone (in both heels) which has done nothing and he has scheduled me for surgery...but I am thinking about ESWT. I am scared to death to spend that kind of money..but after talking to the doctor the first surgery can only guarantee 50%, but can't make it worse. 2nd surgery and 3rd (removing spur) there is a possiblity of problems. Those are not good odds for me..I am too young to be so limited. I am so confused..I don't know what to do now..I just know that I can not live with this pain for the rest of my life!

rekha on 5/31/01 at hrmin (049525)

christy, what part of calif do u live in? cuz I had ESWT in Los angeles and the price was much lower than $4500. e-mail me to find out more

BrianG on 6/01/01 at 19:43 (049637)

Hi Christy,

I'm not sure I'd believe any surgoen who told you that the 1st surgery couldn't make it any worse. Think about it, it's surgery, anything can happen. This guy sounds pretty cocky to me. Why not get a 2nd opinion. Ask the 1st doc for references of people he has helped. Good luck

BCG

BrianG on 5/31/01 at 08:35 (049450)

Hi Carol,

These are my thoughts about surgery vs ESWT. Sugery is available everywhere, and is covered by insurance. ESWT is only in selected cities and most people are having a hard time getting their insurance to pay for it. Hopefully this will be changing, can't happen soon enough for me!

BCG

Christy D on 5/31/01 at 13:40 (049479)

Yes..that's my problem. My insurance will pay for surgery but not ESWT. I am in Calif. and it's costs $4500 a foot. I have heels spurs in BOTH heels. I have tried everything and nothing seems to help! It's going on one year of foot pain now and I can't stand it much more! I just saw my doc and had my 3rd cortisone (in both heels) which has done nothing and he has scheduled me for surgery...but I am thinking about ESWT. I am scared to death to spend that kind of money..but after talking to the doctor the first surgery can only guarantee 50%, but can't make it worse. 2nd surgery and 3rd (removing spur) there is a possiblity of problems. Those are not good odds for me..I am too young to be so limited. I am so confused..I don't know what to do now..I just know that I can not live with this pain for the rest of my life!

rekha on 5/31/01 at hrmin (049525)

christy, what part of calif do u live in? cuz I had ESWT in Los angeles and the price was much lower than $4500. e-mail me to find out more

BrianG on 6/01/01 at 19:43 (049637)

Hi Christy,

I'm not sure I'd believe any surgoen who told you that the 1st surgery couldn't make it any worse. Think about it, it's surgery, anything can happen. This guy sounds pretty cocky to me. Why not get a 2nd opinion. Ask the 1st doc for references of people he has helped. Good luck

BCG