Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What does PF rupture feel like ?

Posted by Valerie S on 5/31/01 at hrmin (049441)

Hi.

I had a small incident a few days ago, and wonder if you can tell me how severe it is to rupture the fascia. I have no idea if that is what happened to me.

I was sitting, massaging my foot and gently stretching. I felt this 'ripping' sensation in the arch at the insertion point. I was being very gentle, but it sure hurt bad!

2 days later, I saw my podiatrist and told him about it. He asked me how it felt now... the pain comes and goes, but it is still very sore. He talked about how it's possible to rupture the fascia (I've had 2 cortizone injections, but they were months ago). He also said that this is like performing your own fasciotomy (told me a story about a man who stepped off his deck, ruptured his fascia, and never suffered again from PF pain).

Obviously this is not really a good thing, but is it really bad?

I don't think I really ruptured my fascia, but I still have a lot of pain. I am using a cane to get around the house. It feels like a tearing in my arch, and I have stabbing pain along the bottom of my heel, burning near the back. Does this sound just like a normal setback? I guess if it doesn't feel better by Monday, I will call the doc again. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Val.

Re: What does PF rupture feel like ?

Dr. Biehler on 5/31/01 at 07:25 (049443)

If the fascia did tear and you are still in pain, your doctor might want to tape the foot using an arch pad and put you on anti-inflamatories. I think you should see you doctor again. Dr. B.

Re: But can it be good for you?

Valerie S on 6/01/01 at hrmin (049587)

Hi, and thanks for your reply.

I don't know if I did tear my fascia. The pain is not excrutiating, but different and a little more intense than before. If it doesn't get better by Monday, I will call the doc again.

I am wondering if you could comment on whether tearing the fascia is really a bad thing, or if it can be a good thing in the end?? Have you seen this happen before?

Also wondering if you might tell me what it feels like to rupture the fascia?? I didn't hear or feel a pop, more like a sharp twinge, and now have needle-like pain that comes and goes along my arch.

Thanks again... Val.

Paula G. on 6/01/01 at 19:01 (049635)

Hi Val. That was what I thought happened to me. I felt a 'rip'....
Horrible pain. I tell you what though, I had the doctor tape my foot and for that week I felt so good!!! I thought he was nuts when he taped it but I sure felt good. I wish I could tape it like that myself.
You sure have had it rough. No one actually diagnosed me tearing the fascia, but what else could the 'ripping' feeling have been? I could not walk when stood up. And before that I was doing so good.
Please pamper your feet. Sometimes I do well and then trip or something and come down on my foot and it hurts all over again.

Re: What does PF rupture feel like ?

Dr. Biehler on 5/31/01 at 07:25 (049443)

If the fascia did tear and you are still in pain, your doctor might want to tape the foot using an arch pad and put you on anti-inflamatories. I think you should see you doctor again. Dr. B.

Valerie S on 6/01/01 at hrmin (049587)

Hi, and thanks for your reply.

I don't know if I did tear my fascia. The pain is not excrutiating, but different and a little more intense than before. If it doesn't get better by Monday, I will call the doc again.

I am wondering if you could comment on whether tearing the fascia is really a bad thing, or if it can be a good thing in the end?? Have you seen this happen before?

Also wondering if you might tell me what it feels like to rupture the fascia?? I didn't hear or feel a pop, more like a sharp twinge, and now have needle-like pain that comes and goes along my arch.

Thanks again... Val.

Paula G. on 6/01/01 at 19:01 (049635)

Hi Val. That was what I thought happened to me. I felt a 'rip'....
Horrible pain. I tell you what though, I had the doctor tape my foot and for that week I felt so good!!! I thought he was nuts when he taped it but I sure felt good. I wish I could tape it like that myself.
You sure have had it rough. No one actually diagnosed me tearing the fascia, but what else could the 'ripping' feeling have been? I could not walk when stood up. And before that I was doing so good.
Please pamper your feet. Sometimes I do well and then trip or something and come down on my foot and it hurts all over again.