Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Thanks to all who replied to my post

Posted by Carmel M on 5/31/01 at 20:28 (049510)

I just wanted to thank Nancy, Valerie, Rock, Denise, Julie and Brian for responding so quickly.

I'm not a stranger to pain although foot pain sure affects everything you do in life. In '98 I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia Syndrome and in '99 I suffered through a herniated disc in my neck and later that year was diagnosed with PF. I've learned to manage the fibro pain...knowing what my limits are. So now I've just got to figure out how to manage the pf pain and learn my limits. So far I haven't figured out what caused this flare.

Julie, the only kind of stretching I do is after I've applied ice to my foot for 20 to 30 minutes. I let my foot warm up and then while it's still resting on the pillow, I grasp my foot (up near the ball of my foot) with both hands and pull towards my knee until I feel a stretch. I have found that is the only way to feel the stretch in my achilles tendon and down around my heel. The wall stretch doesn't seem to do any good. I've read Scott's book twice just to make sure I didn't miss anything the first time around. I've learned a lot on this site! I'm going to ask my doctor more questions and be more assertive in my pursuit to be pain free!

I made another appointment with my podiatrist for next week. I'm waiting for my records from the other doc to get here. I'll see what he has to say, but my husband says not to be afraid to get a second opinion or more help from an orthopedic doc.

I'll keep you all posted! And thanks again for all your help and suggestions.
Carmel

Re: Thanks to all who replied to my post

Cynthia D on 5/31/01 at 22:25 (049523)

Hi Carmel. I, too have 3 kids and am about your age, 40. Have you considered seeing an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in lower extremities? Sometimes what seems like simple pf can be more complicated.

Just a thought. Hope you're better today.

Re: To Carmel: stretching

Julie on 6/01/01 at 03:20 (049546)

Hello Carmel

Thanks for describing the stretch you are doing. Can I ask: are you feeling a stretch in your achilles tendon and heel? Or are you feeling pain? (Think carefully!)

If the latter, I think you might try going a bit easier. Sometimes we can pull too hard, and in the well-meaning attempt to 'do ourselves good', actually make matters worse. I'm not saying you are doing this, just suggesting a different approach.

Maybe you'd like to try the following. While lying in bed in the morning, before you get up:

1 Stretch both heels gently away from you, so that you feel a perceptible but not uncomfortable stretch through the backs of the legs. Without bending the ankles, curl your toes forward, as if making fists of your feet. Then stretch and spread them, making spaces between them. Do this up to nine times, and don't forget to breathe. (Better still, synchronize the movement with yourbreath: curl the toes as you exhale, stretch and spread them as you inhale.)

2 Now bend your feet backwards and forwards at the ankles. Do these movements slowly and mindfully, and synchronize them with your breath: exhaling as you bend the feet forwards, inhaling as you bend them back. Do this up to nine times with each foot, and then with both feet. (Even if your problem is only in one foot, both need the work.)

3 Rotate each foot at the ankle, as if drawing circles with your big toe, keeping the heel in contact with the bed, up to nine times in each direction. Then repeat with both feet. Breathe naturally - don't forget to breathe.

If you do these before you put your feet on the floor, you may avoid much of the 'first-thing-in-the-morning pain'. Of course you can do them at any time thereafter as well. You can do them lying on the floor, sitting on the floor, or sitting in a chair.

Do them gently and mindfully, with awareness of the movements. Don't try to 'get anywhere'. 'No pain, no gain' is a misguided concept but though it is long discredited, we sometimes still think we need to push ourselves into pain for an exercise to be effective. The reverse is generally true.

I'm glad you're going to be more assertive with your pod!

Keep us posted on your progress.

All the best, Julie

Carmel M on 6/01/01 at 20:41 (049641)

Thanks for the suggestions on stretching...I think I'll try them tonight instead of my usual ones. And of course I'll do them before getting out of bed. Hopefully I won't get that painful-first-step thing going on!

I don't think my usual stretch is causing pain, although sometimes in the morning it feels like I've stretched (in the calf, behind the knee area) so maybe I am overdoing it...Thanks again and take care.
Carmel

Julie on 6/02/01 at 16:01 (049685)

Carmel, let me know how you get on, and if you have any problems or questions.

Re: Thanks to all who replied to my post

Cynthia D on 5/31/01 at 22:25 (049523)

Hi Carmel. I, too have 3 kids and am about your age, 40. Have you considered seeing an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in lower extremities? Sometimes what seems like simple pf can be more complicated.

Just a thought. Hope you're better today.

Julie on 6/01/01 at 03:20 (049546)

Hello Carmel

Thanks for describing the stretch you are doing. Can I ask: are you feeling a stretch in your achilles tendon and heel? Or are you feeling pain? (Think carefully!)

If the latter, I think you might try going a bit easier. Sometimes we can pull too hard, and in the well-meaning attempt to 'do ourselves good', actually make matters worse. I'm not saying you are doing this, just suggesting a different approach.

Maybe you'd like to try the following. While lying in bed in the morning, before you get up:

1 Stretch both heels gently away from you, so that you feel a perceptible but not uncomfortable stretch through the backs of the legs. Without bending the ankles, curl your toes forward, as if making fists of your feet. Then stretch and spread them, making spaces between them. Do this up to nine times, and don't forget to breathe. (Better still, synchronize the movement with yourbreath: curl the toes as you exhale, stretch and spread them as you inhale.)

2 Now bend your feet backwards and forwards at the ankles. Do these movements slowly and mindfully, and synchronize them with your breath: exhaling as you bend the feet forwards, inhaling as you bend them back. Do this up to nine times with each foot, and then with both feet. (Even if your problem is only in one foot, both need the work.)

3 Rotate each foot at the ankle, as if drawing circles with your big toe, keeping the heel in contact with the bed, up to nine times in each direction. Then repeat with both feet. Breathe naturally - don't forget to breathe.

If you do these before you put your feet on the floor, you may avoid much of the 'first-thing-in-the-morning pain'. Of course you can do them at any time thereafter as well. You can do them lying on the floor, sitting on the floor, or sitting in a chair.

Do them gently and mindfully, with awareness of the movements. Don't try to 'get anywhere'. 'No pain, no gain' is a misguided concept but though it is long discredited, we sometimes still think we need to push ourselves into pain for an exercise to be effective. The reverse is generally true.

I'm glad you're going to be more assertive with your pod!

Keep us posted on your progress.

All the best, Julie

Carmel M on 6/01/01 at 20:41 (049641)

Thanks for the suggestions on stretching...I think I'll try them tonight instead of my usual ones. And of course I'll do them before getting out of bed. Hopefully I won't get that painful-first-step thing going on!

I don't think my usual stretch is causing pain, although sometimes in the morning it feels like I've stretched (in the calf, behind the knee area) so maybe I am overdoing it...Thanks again and take care.
Carmel

Julie on 6/02/01 at 16:01 (049685)

Carmel, let me know how you get on, and if you have any problems or questions.