Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bunion and PF?

Posted by Cara Linton on 6/01/01 at 07:33 (049552)

My doctor has told me that the reason I have PF in my foot is because of the severity of the bunion on the foot, that the bunion has caused the PF. Does this sound right to you Doctors? I am curious about what someone else would say on this matter. He is suggesting surgery for both situations. Thank you very much for your help on this.

Re: Bunion and PF?

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/01/01 at 10:52 (049583)

Hi,

If you have limitation of motion at the joint then can contribute to plantar fasciitis. The reason being that the first metatarsal bone can't plantarflex or bend to reach the ground at the proper time in the gait cycle. So this creates additionla forsce again the plantar fascia.

So it is possible that the bunion is a contributing factor if there is a limitation of motion at that joint or the metatarsal head is elvated.

Re: Bunion and PF?

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/01/01 at 10:52 (049583)

Hi,

If you have limitation of motion at the joint then can contribute to plantar fasciitis. The reason being that the first metatarsal bone can't plantarflex or bend to reach the ground at the proper time in the gait cycle. So this creates additionla forsce again the plantar fascia.

So it is possible that the bunion is a contributing factor if there is a limitation of motion at that joint or the metatarsal head is elvated.