Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Can decreased hormones make heel spurs worse?

Posted by Paula G. on 6/01/01 at hrmin (049632)

I know that with decreased estrogen that makes a woman prone to osteoporosis. Well, I am on hormone replacement therapy but have not taken the medication for about 8 months. With no estrogen can that make heel spurs worse? If it does effect the rest of a persons bones?

Re: Can decreased hormones make heel spurs worse?

Dr. Biehler on 6/01/01 at 22:12 (049649)

The lack of estrogen can effect the bones, as the typical PF is a problem at the insertion of the plantar fascia into the bone there is the possibility that it could be a contributing factor. Hormones also control the amount of your natural anti-inflamatory responce which may also be a factor. Dr. B.

Paula G. on 6/02/01 at 18:21 (049692)

Thank you. I just had never seen this kind of question addressed here before, or anywhere. I go back on hormones this coming week. Hopefully, that will help me.

Dr. Biehler on 6/01/01 at 22:12 (049649)

The lack of estrogen can effect the bones, as the typical PF is a problem at the insertion of the plantar fascia into the bone there is the possibility that it could be a contributing factor. Hormones also control the amount of your natural anti-inflamatory responce which may also be a factor. Dr. B.

Paula G. on 6/02/01 at 18:21 (049692)

Thank you. I just had never seen this kind of question addressed here before, or anywhere. I go back on hormones this coming week. Hopefully, that will help me.