Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

For those of you who have had surgery

Posted by Jana on 6/01/01 at hrmin (049645)

For those of you who have had surgery, would you please describe your experience postop and your recovery? Specifically, how dependent were you on your arms? Were you on crutches? A wheelchair? If so, for how long?

How long were you bedridden, if at all? How long was it before you could bear weight at all on the foot?

For those of you with bilateral PF and bilateral TTS, what kind of hell did this cause for your other foot (the one that didn't suffer the operation)?

The reason I ask, I have tennis elbow and carpal tunnel in both arms as well as severe tendinitis in six places between my wrists and shoulders. The use of my hands is even more limited than the use of my feet (hard to believe).

Standing, I have pain within five minutes. Severe pain within 20. But, I would not be able to use crutches or a wheelchair to get around unless I was only going from the couch to the kitchen and could use my other foot to scoot me along. The arms are pretty useless at this point (can't even write out my own checks to pay my own bills). Does the recovery from foot surgery put a huge load on the upper body and the other foot?

I can't decide at this point, which limit to cater to more...

Re: For those of you who have had surgery

rickl on 6/02/01 at hrmin (049690)

Hi Jana
I have bilateral TTS and had my left foot operated on 6 days ago. The wound had to be restitched 4 days ago.
I began with crutches but the 'blood rush' to my foot was very uncomfortable and I felt it may be putting unnecessary pressure on the wound.
Hence I hired a wheelchair.
While this is much more comfortable I am being to feel, in my case, that I have not had enough bed rest with my foot well elevated. Sometimes I learn VERY slowly....
Also, although I had minimal pain for the first few days I now have somewhat more pain [but strong paracetemol relieves it]and an awareness that recovery will be longer than I hoped.
However, we're all different [that's deep and meaningful isn't it?] I am 55 and overweight, although I have good upper body strength and have always walked a great deal. My right foot is fine and I am going to have as long a break between surgeries as possible.
Right now I have a renewed admiration for those permanently wheelchair bound as well as lesser concerns about boredom, steps in the house, weight gain due to inactivity and how / when I am going to repaint the doorframes I've damaged with this wheelchair.......
It may not be possible for you, but have you considered a motorised wheelchair? Just watch the speed limit!
Rick

Mary R on 6/03/01 at hrmin (049789)

Hi,
I had surgery last March on my left foot for Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome and Heel Spur tendon release. I will be having my right foot done on Friday. I CANNOT stand the pain any longer! My left foot that already had surgery is better, but not the way it was 10 years ago. But i can at least go grocery shopping! I am very happy for that. I do not think i will ever be able to wear cute shoes again but the tennis shoes that cost alot will have to do! I want to get the sugery done now before the right foot gets as bad as the left. I am hoping that the right will recover better because it is not as bad as the left, yet. I have tendonitis of both wrists, work on the computer all day, and YES you do have to put all the weight on the opposite foot and hands, I used a walker and crutches. You cannot put any weight on the foot, you are in a full cast for two weeks then an air cast after that for about 8-10 weeks, no weight on the foot for two weeks then just touch the floor, no weight for about 4 weeks. Then you start to put a little pressure, just a little, it is about 6 weeks before you can even stand a little weight. I will tell you this it is a very painful sugery, BUT WELL WORTH IT! I had a c-section and a hysterectomy and this is worst than both, but I am having the other foot done so you much know it is worth it. The first two days are the worst and then after you get the cast off in two weeks it is a little better. But remember this above anything else, keep an ice pack on it 24 hours 7 days a week and you will feel much better! The ice is a life saver. You can get these big ice packs at Wal-Mart about $20.00 and just rotate them. It fits over the cast and has velcro to keep it in place. You have to keep your foot above your heart. If you have any questions please e-mail me before Friday and i will check my e-mail and will try to help you. But if you are in as much pain as me, cannot stand without pain and the first thing in the morning when you get up WOW the pain is horrible! You think you are standing on a golf ball. I will tell you this my surgeon is excellent. I love him for giving me my life back! Hope to help you out..... Mary :)

Jana on 6/04/01 at 16:33 (049893)

I have considered motorized wheelchairs. I could use a regular wheelchair in my home since I wouldn't travel more than 10 feet at any time and wouldn't move around very frequently. Motorized wheelchairs require your car have special equipment since they are not collapsible. Also, my apartment complex has a staircase at both the front and back entrance so I wouldn't be able to use a chair there. I did use a regular wheelchair this summer for three months in an effort to get the PF to subside. It didn't work, obviously.

Thanks for your reply and update on your surgery. You are so recently post op, I think you have to wait at least a month before you can think about using crutches, at least from what I have read. Sounds like maybe you tried to push it too soon_We all have done that a million times just with the PF...

rickl on 6/02/01 at hrmin (049690)

Hi Jana
I have bilateral TTS and had my left foot operated on 6 days ago. The wound had to be restitched 4 days ago.
I began with crutches but the 'blood rush' to my foot was very uncomfortable and I felt it may be putting unnecessary pressure on the wound.
Hence I hired a wheelchair.
While this is much more comfortable I am being to feel, in my case, that I have not had enough bed rest with my foot well elevated. Sometimes I learn VERY slowly....
Also, although I had minimal pain for the first few days I now have somewhat more pain [but strong paracetemol relieves it]and an awareness that recovery will be longer than I hoped.
However, we're all different [that's deep and meaningful isn't it?] I am 55 and overweight, although I have good upper body strength and have always walked a great deal. My right foot is fine and I am going to have as long a break between surgeries as possible.
Right now I have a renewed admiration for those permanently wheelchair bound as well as lesser concerns about boredom, steps in the house, weight gain due to inactivity and how / when I am going to repaint the doorframes I've damaged with this wheelchair.......
It may not be possible for you, but have you considered a motorised wheelchair? Just watch the speed limit!
Rick

Mary R on 6/03/01 at hrmin (049789)

Hi,
I had surgery last March on my left foot for Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome and Heel Spur tendon release. I will be having my right foot done on Friday. I CANNOT stand the pain any longer! My left foot that already had surgery is better, but not the way it was 10 years ago. But i can at least go grocery shopping! I am very happy for that. I do not think i will ever be able to wear cute shoes again but the tennis shoes that cost alot will have to do! I want to get the sugery done now before the right foot gets as bad as the left. I am hoping that the right will recover better because it is not as bad as the left, yet. I have tendonitis of both wrists, work on the computer all day, and YES you do have to put all the weight on the opposite foot and hands, I used a walker and crutches. You cannot put any weight on the foot, you are in a full cast for two weeks then an air cast after that for about 8-10 weeks, no weight on the foot for two weeks then just touch the floor, no weight for about 4 weeks. Then you start to put a little pressure, just a little, it is about 6 weeks before you can even stand a little weight. I will tell you this it is a very painful sugery, BUT WELL WORTH IT! I had a c-section and a hysterectomy and this is worst than both, but I am having the other foot done so you much know it is worth it. The first two days are the worst and then after you get the cast off in two weeks it is a little better. But remember this above anything else, keep an ice pack on it 24 hours 7 days a week and you will feel much better! The ice is a life saver. You can get these big ice packs at Wal-Mart about $20.00 and just rotate them. It fits over the cast and has velcro to keep it in place. You have to keep your foot above your heart. If you have any questions please e-mail me before Friday and i will check my e-mail and will try to help you. But if you are in as much pain as me, cannot stand without pain and the first thing in the morning when you get up WOW the pain is horrible! You think you are standing on a golf ball. I will tell you this my surgeon is excellent. I love him for giving me my life back! Hope to help you out..... Mary :)

Jana on 6/04/01 at 16:33 (049893)

I have considered motorized wheelchairs. I could use a regular wheelchair in my home since I wouldn't travel more than 10 feet at any time and wouldn't move around very frequently. Motorized wheelchairs require your car have special equipment since they are not collapsible. Also, my apartment complex has a staircase at both the front and back entrance so I wouldn't be able to use a chair there. I did use a regular wheelchair this summer for three months in an effort to get the PF to subside. It didn't work, obviously.

Thanks for your reply and update on your surgery. You are so recently post op, I think you have to wait at least a month before you can think about using crutches, at least from what I have read. Sounds like maybe you tried to push it too soon_We all have done that a million times just with the PF...