Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

aspartame

Posted by Marty on 6/01/01 at hrmin (049653)

I viewed the archives and could not find any conversations concerning aspartame and it's so called side effects. I have had others tell me to stop drinking the diet coke and my feet will get better. I know this is a far stretch but could it be true ???? Also someone from here emailed me and can't remember her name but she said that she had a little different configuration for her taping then was shown on this site the other day I think by Scott R. If there is a little different way for us high arched people could some one tell me where I could find the pictures?

Thank you all so much I know I have been a bit of a pest lately.

-Marty

Re: Taping for high arched foot . Re: aspartame

Donna SL on 6/02/01 at 13:31 (049677)

Hi Marty,

I mentioned a different method of taping that worked better for high arched feet. It's a very simple way to tape too. If I can find the illustration I'll post a link to it. I'll try to describe it the best I can.

1. Take a piece of one inch tape, and starting at one side of the foot a little behind where the met head is, and follow the tape along the foot around the back of the heel to the other side ending behind the other met head. Make sure the foot is dorsiflexed, otherwise the tape will be too tight around the back of the heel. This strip does not have to be that high at the back of the heel. Just follow the lateral border of the foot, and go around to the other side.

2. Use a 2 inch piece of tape to connect the thin piece starting around
1 to 1 1/2 inches in from the back of the heel. A little less than half the heel should be covered. Then slightly overlap three or four pieces of tape along the bottom of the foot. I don't use more than four. These 2 inch strips are perpendicular to the foot. The entire foot doesn't have to be covered with it. You can put an extra reinforcing piece under the first strip which covers half the heel, and the area where the PF attaches.

3. Then take another piece of one inch tape, and repeat step one, and go over the first thin strip. This will cover the ends of the wide strips, and reinforce the first thin strip.

4. For the final piece to connect the thin tape in the front of the foot near the mets heads take a 2 inch piece of tape starting at the end, or a little behing the end of the thin strip, and go over the top of the instep, and then wrap around the foot once or twice. I use a stretch type tape for this. This gives enough support, yet has some give for people with a high in-step.

My pod gives me this great tape that is very comfortable, and breathable Maybe if you do a search on the web you can find it.

The inside of the roll just says Kendall Curity. It feels like a soft cotton blend material with adhesive on it, and it has little lines in it, that let air in. I don't even need underwrap with it.

The stretchy stuff is called sher-light made by Expandover. It's slightly less than 2 inches.

This method gives much more support to the midfoot of a cavus foot. It feels good, like a little supporting sling. You could always do criss cross type taping on the botton like the illustration in the PF Book in addition, after you did the above method first. That's if you wanted very rigid support, but normally it's not needed.

Re: Donna, That is the the method my pod taught me and I do, thanks

Marty on 6/02/01 at hrmin (049682)

Thanks Donna

Re: aspartame

JudyS on 6/03/01 at 13:13 (049759)

Hi Marty - we LIKE pests! Please, stay here and pester us. There's no question that contribution comes also because each case is unique. About that diet Coke - I think it may have been Steve who posted that he stopped drinking it and noticed increased soreness if he started drinking it again. I'm not sure if I recall correctly, though, that his post was more in regard to carbonated drinks in general. I can, however, tell you that my experience is the same. Although I've not been in the habit of drinking much carbonated stuff, I find that when I do my feet stiffen right up.

Marty on 6/03/01 at 22:15 (049798)

JudyS, Man you don't know how bad I was hoping that no one would reply to this post. I have a real bad habit drinking diet coke. But it was a life saver, well possibly not I guess in helping me lose the weight I lost. Of course it was in hopes of some relief with my pf. Didn't help but I plane on keeping it off anyway. It will be a real big battle for me to give up the diet coke. :)

Julie on 6/04/01 at 01:54 (049814)

...but you won the weight-losing battle, so you can win this one too. Perhaps you should try drinking more water. One of the reasons carbonated sweet drinks (diet and otherwise) are addictive, is that they increase thirst to make you want to drink more of them.

Julie on 6/04/01 at 02:34 (049816)

Gosh it's hard to keep up with someone's whole story!

Marty I've just read your other post on another thread in which you say you drink at least a gallon of water a day. So my suggestion must have amused you.

Re: how can I battle both ?

Marty on 6/04/01 at hrmin (049862)

Julie,

Yes your right. It does make you thirsty. I drink allot of water, over a gallon a day. Why because the carbonation makes one thirsty. And I'm hopeful that it will help keep my kidneys from falling off. :)

No really thanks so much for the words of encouragement. I know I must quit.

Thanks,

-Marty

Re: Julie, I just read your post without reading this on.

Marty on 6/04/01 at hrmin (049863)

I just did the same thing. I just replyed that I do drink allot of water before reading this one. Tee Hee

-Marty

Re: alternatives to aspartame

Nancy N on 6/04/01 at 20:09 (049912)

You know, there are alternatives available. There's a new sweetener called sucralose, which is apparently made from sugar and doesn't break down like aspartame does. I don't know that it tastes much better than any other artificial sweetener (I don't use them often and don't drink diet sodas, or soda at all anymore, really), but you could give it a try. I believe the Diet Rite sodas are made with sucralose.

I'm also looking into stevia, which is a natural sweetener made from the leaf of a plant--I just made some iced tea and am trying it out in the tea. A very little bit goes a long way, so tonight's first attempt isn't enough to report on just yet. I don't think you can find stevia in soda, though.

Julie on 6/05/01 at 02:46 (049954)

Hi Nancy

I don't know...I really think that all sweet drinks (and sweet things in general) make one thirsty, regardless of the nature of the sweetener. At least they do me, a life-long sweet-toothed person who has been trying, forever, unsuccessfully, to lose the sweet tooth. (I acquired it as a four-year-old, when my loving grandpa used to give me pound boxes of sugar lumps. And my parents let me eat them!

Julie

Julie on 6/05/01 at 02:47 (049955)

Keep drinking the water, Marty. Maybe you can pretend it's Diet Coke.

Nancy N on 6/05/01 at 09:32 (049980)

Julie--

I wasn't making any comment on the thirst issue--just trying to point out that aspartame is not the only non-sugar sweetener out there.

Re: Taping for high arched foot . Re: aspartame

Donna SL on 6/02/01 at 13:31 (049677)

Hi Marty,

I mentioned a different method of taping that worked better for high arched feet. It's a very simple way to tape too. If I can find the illustration I'll post a link to it. I'll try to describe it the best I can.

1. Take a piece of one inch tape, and starting at one side of the foot a little behind where the met head is, and follow the tape along the foot around the back of the heel to the other side ending behind the other met head. Make sure the foot is dorsiflexed, otherwise the tape will be too tight around the back of the heel. This strip does not have to be that high at the back of the heel. Just follow the lateral border of the foot, and go around to the other side.

2. Use a 2 inch piece of tape to connect the thin piece starting around
1 to 1 1/2 inches in from the back of the heel. A little less than half the heel should be covered. Then slightly overlap three or four pieces of tape along the bottom of the foot. I don't use more than four. These 2 inch strips are perpendicular to the foot. The entire foot doesn't have to be covered with it. You can put an extra reinforcing piece under the first strip which covers half the heel, and the area where the PF attaches.

3. Then take another piece of one inch tape, and repeat step one, and go over the first thin strip. This will cover the ends of the wide strips, and reinforce the first thin strip.

4. For the final piece to connect the thin tape in the front of the foot near the mets heads take a 2 inch piece of tape starting at the end, or a little behing the end of the thin strip, and go over the top of the instep, and then wrap around the foot once or twice. I use a stretch type tape for this. This gives enough support, yet has some give for people with a high in-step.

My pod gives me this great tape that is very comfortable, and breathable Maybe if you do a search on the web you can find it.

The inside of the roll just says Kendall Curity. It feels like a soft cotton blend material with adhesive on it, and it has little lines in it, that let air in. I don't even need underwrap with it.

The stretchy stuff is called sher-light made by Expandover. It's slightly less than 2 inches.

This method gives much more support to the midfoot of a cavus foot. It feels good, like a little supporting sling. You could always do criss cross type taping on the botton like the illustration in the PF Book in addition, after you did the above method first. That's if you wanted very rigid support, but normally it's not needed.

Re: Donna, That is the the method my pod taught me and I do, thanks

Marty on 6/02/01 at hrmin (049682)

Thanks Donna

JudyS on 6/03/01 at 13:13 (049759)

Hi Marty - we LIKE pests! Please, stay here and pester us. There's no question that contribution comes also because each case is unique. About that diet Coke - I think it may have been Steve who posted that he stopped drinking it and noticed increased soreness if he started drinking it again. I'm not sure if I recall correctly, though, that his post was more in regard to carbonated drinks in general. I can, however, tell you that my experience is the same. Although I've not been in the habit of drinking much carbonated stuff, I find that when I do my feet stiffen right up.

Marty on 6/03/01 at 22:15 (049798)

JudyS, Man you don't know how bad I was hoping that no one would reply to this post. I have a real bad habit drinking diet coke. But it was a life saver, well possibly not I guess in helping me lose the weight I lost. Of course it was in hopes of some relief with my pf. Didn't help but I plane on keeping it off anyway. It will be a real big battle for me to give up the diet coke. :)

Julie on 6/04/01 at 01:54 (049814)

...but you won the weight-losing battle, so you can win this one too. Perhaps you should try drinking more water. One of the reasons carbonated sweet drinks (diet and otherwise) are addictive, is that they increase thirst to make you want to drink more of them.

Julie on 6/04/01 at 02:34 (049816)

Gosh it's hard to keep up with someone's whole story!

Marty I've just read your other post on another thread in which you say you drink at least a gallon of water a day. So my suggestion must have amused you.

Marty on 6/04/01 at hrmin (049862)

Julie,

Yes your right. It does make you thirsty. I drink allot of water, over a gallon a day. Why because the carbonation makes one thirsty. And I'm hopeful that it will help keep my kidneys from falling off. :)

No really thanks so much for the words of encouragement. I know I must quit.

Thanks,

-Marty

Re: Julie, I just read your post without reading this on.

Marty on 6/04/01 at hrmin (049863)

I just did the same thing. I just replyed that I do drink allot of water before reading this one. Tee Hee

-Marty

Nancy N on 6/04/01 at 20:09 (049912)

You know, there are alternatives available. There's a new sweetener called sucralose, which is apparently made from sugar and doesn't break down like aspartame does. I don't know that it tastes much better than any other artificial sweetener (I don't use them often and don't drink diet sodas, or soda at all anymore, really), but you could give it a try. I believe the Diet Rite sodas are made with sucralose.

I'm also looking into stevia, which is a natural sweetener made from the leaf of a plant--I just made some iced tea and am trying it out in the tea. A very little bit goes a long way, so tonight's first attempt isn't enough to report on just yet. I don't think you can find stevia in soda, though.

Julie on 6/05/01 at 02:46 (049954)

Hi Nancy

I don't know...I really think that all sweet drinks (and sweet things in general) make one thirsty, regardless of the nature of the sweetener. At least they do me, a life-long sweet-toothed person who has been trying, forever, unsuccessfully, to lose the sweet tooth. (I acquired it as a four-year-old, when my loving grandpa used to give me pound boxes of sugar lumps. And my parents let me eat them!

Julie

Julie on 6/05/01 at 02:47 (049955)

Keep drinking the water, Marty. Maybe you can pretend it's Diet Coke.

Nancy N on 6/05/01 at 09:32 (049980)

Julie--

I wasn't making any comment on the thirst issue--just trying to point out that aspartame is not the only non-sugar sweetener out there.