Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

foot surgury

Posted by millie w on 6/01/01 at hrmin (049656)

hi,
i,m gonna have a spur removed from my left heel.can anybody tell me what to expect.how long do you wear a cast? how long are you off this foot?
and what about pain? is it bad? how do you bath with a cast? thanks for all your help!

Re: foot surgury/Millie

Tammie on 6/03/01 at 19:05 (049783)

Welcome Millie,
If you look above^ where it says all heel pain cat. click on it and you will see all kinds of areas! You should try to post your message there as someone may see it sooner, maybe try surgery site! There is allot of information here and if you read the message board in the surgery site you might pick up some of the answers you were looking for,plus they have a great area where you can read the PF Book it has allot of information also! I am not a dr. so I cant give you any medical advice but can maybe tell you that there are different ways that dr.s do the spur removal and pf release , do you know how it is to be done?I had the minamal incision ,on april 17, it was done in a outpatient surgery center and I had a twilight sleep anesthesia. When I woke my foot was all wrapped and in a sock with a removable boot cast on! I felt pretty good,I used crutches .They gave me pain med just before I left and I was ok till later I will tell you that if he gives you pain medication take when you are supposed to as it is very hard for you to wait till the pain med kicks in if you try to brave it for extra hours! I was told to rest and elevate to help keep swelling to a minimal and to use ice on it. You will proably will do allot of resting with it elevated! I used crutches for a bout maye 2 weeks give or take days. I wore the cast boot for maybe 3 and then reg.. jogging shoes. It goes slow sometimes the healing so dont be surprised if it is not all better in a couple of weeks, I understand expect at least 5 or 6 weeks for surface healing, and like about 2 months for more healing and then up to 6 months or a year for complete. It does seem slow! It is about 7or so weeks for me now and I am 70% the dr. stated. I am off till proably first week of July. I am a nurses aide. So my job is demanding on my feet.Now the bath some people here have had great ideas and am sure they will share them, I had shower, with garbage bag wrapped on foot . Also they have said to not go barefoot after the surgery to wear something on feet even in the shower and when you get up at night to use the toilet! If you are worried about pain or anything else PLEASE make sure and ask the dr. BEFORE the surgery and get all your answers then , it will make the healing process less stressful for you! Really it will! Dont be silly like er some of us, lol, get the pain meds and USE them to help you thru the beginning! There is pain but was not as bad as I had expected then, not that it cant be bad cause for some it is so be prepared! Now I am sure I did not answer all ??? But please visit the surgery site and if you can read the PF Book it is great ! Also please feel free to post ?????? And let us know how you are doing , it is a great place to get answers and to make friends with people who are going thru what you are! We become heel buddies! As it can be a lonely frighting expierance! Thanks for posting and take care friend!!!!!

Dr. Biehler on 6/03/01 at 19:29 (049788)

Now that you have read how long it can take for surgery to heal, you should look more into the ESWT alternative. Dr. B.

Re: ESWT

Julie on 6/04/01 at 01:38 (049812)

Hi Millie

To find out about ESWT, click on the ESWT link at the top of the page. Also read the ESWT message board. ESWT (Electronic Shock Wave Therapy) is a non-invasive technique. It has been successful in relieving heel spur/plantar fasciitis in a great many cases, and as it does not have the complications and risks of surgery, you really should consider it first, as Dr B suggests.

Tammie on 6/03/01 at 19:05 (049783)

Welcome Millie,
If you look above^ where it says all heel pain cat. click on it and you will see all kinds of areas! You should try to post your message there as someone may see it sooner, maybe try surgery site! There is allot of information here and if you read the message board in the surgery site you might pick up some of the answers you were looking for,plus they have a great area where you can read the PF Book it has allot of information also! I am not a dr. so I cant give you any medical advice but can maybe tell you that there are different ways that dr.s do the spur removal and pf release , do you know how it is to be done?I had the minamal incision ,on april 17, it was done in a outpatient surgery center and I had a twilight sleep anesthesia. When I woke my foot was all wrapped and in a sock with a removable boot cast on! I felt pretty good,I used crutches .They gave me pain med just before I left and I was ok till later I will tell you that if he gives you pain medication take when you are supposed to as it is very hard for you to wait till the pain med kicks in if you try to brave it for extra hours! I was told to rest and elevate to help keep swelling to a minimal and to use ice on it. You will proably will do allot of resting with it elevated! I used crutches for a bout maye 2 weeks give or take days. I wore the cast boot for maybe 3 and then reg.. jogging shoes. It goes slow sometimes the healing so dont be surprised if it is not all better in a couple of weeks, I understand expect at least 5 or 6 weeks for surface healing, and like about 2 months for more healing and then up to 6 months or a year for complete. It does seem slow! It is about 7or so weeks for me now and I am 70% the dr. stated. I am off till proably first week of July. I am a nurses aide. So my job is demanding on my feet.Now the bath some people here have had great ideas and am sure they will share them, I had shower, with garbage bag wrapped on foot . Also they have said to not go barefoot after the surgery to wear something on feet even in the shower and when you get up at night to use the toilet! If you are worried about pain or anything else PLEASE make sure and ask the dr. BEFORE the surgery and get all your answers then , it will make the healing process less stressful for you! Really it will! Dont be silly like er some of us, lol, get the pain meds and USE them to help you thru the beginning! There is pain but was not as bad as I had expected then, not that it cant be bad cause for some it is so be prepared! Now I am sure I did not answer all ??? But please visit the surgery site and if you can read the PF Book it is great ! Also please feel free to post ?????? And let us know how you are doing , it is a great place to get answers and to make friends with people who are going thru what you are! We become heel buddies! As it can be a lonely frighting expierance! Thanks for posting and take care friend!!!!!

Dr. Biehler on 6/03/01 at 19:29 (049788)

Now that you have read how long it can take for surgery to heal, you should look more into the ESWT alternative. Dr. B.

Re: ESWT

Julie on 6/04/01 at 01:38 (049812)

Hi Millie

To find out about ESWT, click on the ESWT link at the top of the page. Also read the ESWT message board. ESWT (Electronic Shock Wave Therapy) is a non-invasive technique. It has been successful in relieving heel spur/plantar fasciitis in a great many cases, and as it does not have the complications and risks of surgery, you really should consider it first, as Dr B suggests.