Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF and hyperthyroidism

Posted by Olga on 6/02/01 at hrmin (049662)

Hi. I have PF IN BOTH FEET FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS now. I am a physiotherapist so I have tried all the usual treatment including 3 cortisone injections without much success. This week I have been diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism- Graves disease. Can Graves disease cause or be related to Plantar fasciitis? If so how?? Thanks. Olga

Re: PF and hyperthyroidism

Amy A. on 6/02/01 at 21:28 (049709)

Hi Olga, I also have PF and heel spurs and have recently been diagnosed with subclinical hyperthyroidism - how are you being treated for the thyroid condition?

olga on 6/03/01 at 00:47 (049724)

Hi Amy.This week I have started treatment to completetly shut down the throid anad then in 1 month I will start taking thyroxine to replace the absent hormone. I will have to continue these 2 medications for 18 months and then stop both. Usually the thyroid will start functioning normally again then- well theres a 60per cent chance! I have been told that my feet should start to feel better in 3-4 months. There is very little biomechanically wrong with my feet or gait pattern. I ama not sure how PF and hyperthyroidism are related. Have a good day Amy! Olga

Amy A. on 6/02/01 at 21:28 (049709)

Hi Olga, I also have PF and heel spurs and have recently been diagnosed with subclinical hyperthyroidism - how are you being treated for the thyroid condition?

olga on 6/03/01 at 00:47 (049724)

Hi Amy.This week I have started treatment to completetly shut down the throid anad then in 1 month I will start taking thyroxine to replace the absent hormone. I will have to continue these 2 medications for 18 months and then stop both. Usually the thyroid will start functioning normally again then- well theres a 60per cent chance! I have been told that my feet should start to feel better in 3-4 months. There is very little biomechanically wrong with my feet or gait pattern. I ama not sure how PF and hyperthyroidism are related. Have a good day Amy! Olga