Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question re. Back/Heel pain connection

Posted by BrianJ on 6/02/01 at 21:50 (049712)

If a back problem (stenosis, impingement, etc.) causes or contributes to heel pain, is the heel pain usually in one foot or both feet? Also, does such a back problem usually cause pain in the back, or can it be asymptomatic in the back but symptomatic in the feet?

Re: Question re. Back/Heel pain connection

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/02/01 at 22:37 (049716)

That is a very good question. I have never found a case where the pain was only in the foot secondary to stenosis. I have seen it jump from one foot to another. I have seen it it cause pain in the legs, both feet.

As far as nerve impringement you would think both but i have seen it in just one and then the other. I would admit that most of the heel pain that I do see is strictly due to the foot and the back isn't involved

It is usually pretty straight forward if the back is involved. Now there is alwasy the exception. I hope that this is clear. Some of the answer is I don't know.

Re: Question re. Back/Heel pain connection

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/02/01 at 22:37 (049716)

That is a very good question. I have never found a case where the pain was only in the foot secondary to stenosis. I have seen it jump from one foot to another. I have seen it it cause pain in the legs, both feet.

As far as nerve impringement you would think both but i have seen it in just one and then the other. I would admit that most of the heel pain that I do see is strictly due to the foot and the back isn't involved

It is usually pretty straight forward if the back is involved. Now there is alwasy the exception. I hope that this is clear. Some of the answer is I don't know.