Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

relief from surgery

Posted by Hether on 6/03/01 at hrmin (049775)

Dear Doctor,
I had plantar flacsitis surgery 11 days ago.Went into the below the knee boot on day 5.

How long does it take to see relief from pain? i am in the boot 23 hours a day. Should i be on crutches too??

Thank you,
from someone who gets no info from her doctor and stupid enough to be his patient.

Re: relief from surgery

Dr. Biehler on 6/03/01 at 19:19 (049786)

There are different PF surgical prodedures, and each procedure is modified to the individuale patient. Healing depends on how extensive the procedure was, what kind it was and how the patient reacts. Some surgeries can take up to six months to recuperate from. It seems like such a contrast to the ESWT where the patient walks out of the procedure pain free. Dr. B.

Tammie on 6/03/01 at 19:29 (049790)

Hi and welcome!
I am sorry that you have not got allot of information from your dr. that is sad! But well I can understand that! I am not a dr. so cannot give you medical advice! But I have learned some information here! There are some great people here along with a few dr.s who help out and it is very reassuring! It is sometimes very frightening to not know the answers even if it is a small question. I can only share what I have expieranced or have been told,11 days is not very long there friend, I am going on about 7+ or close to 8 weeks myself so can talk from my exp. I do not know what type of surgery you have had as i guess there are different ones,I had the minimal incision on inside ankle. I was in the boot on first day so I dont know what exactly your dr. has in mind for you, I was aloud to take my boot off for sleeping and for iceing it if I was elevating it but was told to NOT walk without the boot till he told me .But again you must find out what he wants for you as there are many ways they treat.I was on crutches for a couple of weeks but really I hated them ! I am awful clutsy. Some say yes to crutches and some say walker and some say nothing just walk on boot so again please talk to your dr. or his nurse as I found sometimes the nurses are a bit more into detail. Dont get worried yet about the surgery not working it is much to soon! You will learn that our feet take as long as they darn want to for healing!!! You have a ways to go I would think! Rest and elevate as much as you can most say ice also so to keep swelling to a minimal!!!! I hope it is possible for you to spend some time resting as much as you can as seems like the commen answer here! Please dont be discouraged you have found a great area for answers and questions!!! You will find allot of support here and allot of people who have been or are going thru what you are so please read read read and type your questions!!! Soon you will become the pro! Now really I can only give you a small amount of help but there are so much better more knowledgable people here and hopefully will give you help also be patient and feel free to repost! Take care our friend and update us!

Julie on 6/04/01 at 01:43 (049813)

Heather, as Tammie has told you, and she knows, the foot can take quite a long time to heal after surgery. It's not just the incision, which may heal fairly quickly, it's the underlying tissues which take much longer, depending on what typeof surgery you have had. 11 days is nothing at all, so try to be patient, and while you are waiting, stay off your feet as much as possible: no weight-bearing.

Don't hesitate to go back to your doctor and ask him all the questions you have. That's what he is there for.

Good luck and best wishes for your recovery.

Dr. Biehler on 6/03/01 at 19:19 (049786)

There are different PF surgical prodedures, and each procedure is modified to the individuale patient. Healing depends on how extensive the procedure was, what kind it was and how the patient reacts. Some surgeries can take up to six months to recuperate from. It seems like such a contrast to the ESWT where the patient walks out of the procedure pain free. Dr. B.

Tammie on 6/03/01 at 19:29 (049790)

Hi and welcome!
I am sorry that you have not got allot of information from your dr. that is sad! But well I can understand that! I am not a dr. so cannot give you medical advice! But I have learned some information here! There are some great people here along with a few dr.s who help out and it is very reassuring! It is sometimes very frightening to not know the answers even if it is a small question. I can only share what I have expieranced or have been told,11 days is not very long there friend, I am going on about 7+ or close to 8 weeks myself so can talk from my exp. I do not know what type of surgery you have had as i guess there are different ones,I had the minimal incision on inside ankle. I was in the boot on first day so I dont know what exactly your dr. has in mind for you, I was aloud to take my boot off for sleeping and for iceing it if I was elevating it but was told to NOT walk without the boot till he told me .But again you must find out what he wants for you as there are many ways they treat.I was on crutches for a couple of weeks but really I hated them ! I am awful clutsy. Some say yes to crutches and some say walker and some say nothing just walk on boot so again please talk to your dr. or his nurse as I found sometimes the nurses are a bit more into detail. Dont get worried yet about the surgery not working it is much to soon! You will learn that our feet take as long as they darn want to for healing!!! You have a ways to go I would think! Rest and elevate as much as you can most say ice also so to keep swelling to a minimal!!!! I hope it is possible for you to spend some time resting as much as you can as seems like the commen answer here! Please dont be discouraged you have found a great area for answers and questions!!! You will find allot of support here and allot of people who have been or are going thru what you are so please read read read and type your questions!!! Soon you will become the pro! Now really I can only give you a small amount of help but there are so much better more knowledgable people here and hopefully will give you help also be patient and feel free to repost! Take care our friend and update us!

Julie on 6/04/01 at 01:43 (049813)

Heather, as Tammie has told you, and she knows, the foot can take quite a long time to heal after surgery. It's not just the incision, which may heal fairly quickly, it's the underlying tissues which take much longer, depending on what typeof surgery you have had. 11 days is nothing at all, so try to be patient, and while you are waiting, stay off your feet as much as possible: no weight-bearing.

Don't hesitate to go back to your doctor and ask him all the questions you have. That's what he is there for.

Good luck and best wishes for your recovery.