Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

overweight w/spurs

Posted by cindy on 6/03/01 at hrmin (049776)

I weigh 225lbs. I was told that since the prescription orthotics and Celebrex aren't working that I will need the plantar fasciitis surgery.
I don't mind having the surgery(even though I will have to pay for it myself), anything to stop this tremendous pain. My questions are, would I have less pain if I lost weight? If I don't lose weight am I setting myself up for flat feet or other problems that could occur after this surgery?

Re: overweight w/spurs

Dr. Biehler on 6/03/01 at 19:14 (049785)

If you are having the EPF procedure, you weight might have an effect on your healing and could possibly be a factor in your lateral arch collapsing. If you are having the MIS produdure, you wieght should not have an effect. Either way, you are probably better off if you try the ESWT. If you are a canidate for it, you have a chance to avoid either of the surgeries, their possible complications, and the pain Dr. B.

Re: overweight w/spurs

Dr. Biehler on 6/03/01 at 19:14 (049785)

If you are having the EPF procedure, you weight might have an effect on your healing and could possibly be a factor in your lateral arch collapsing. If you are having the MIS produdure, you wieght should not have an effect. Either way, you are probably better off if you try the ESWT. If you are a canidate for it, you have a chance to avoid either of the surgeries, their possible complications, and the pain Dr. B.