Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Where do I go from here ? My Pod doesn't know

Posted by Marty on 6/03/01 at hrmin (049802)

First off thanks to everyone for the help.

I've been really putting allot of thought and effort the past week as evident be all my posts but I really could use some help on this one. I see my pod this Tuesday and I'm just about at the end of the line with him. I don't know where he's going to go with me other then the operation table. I'm not at that point yet and don't know if I ever will be. He's done his best and he's the 3rd I have gone to here in Salt Lake City. Here's my history with him:

1st: casted feet for orthodics and 1st injection. Put me on 800mg of Advil.
2nd: received orthodics
3rd: injection #2
4th: nothing, just talked.

I think he will give me my last injection Tuesday and then he will do ...... don't know. I don't have allot of pain but the burning, tingling and numbness is really bad. I do have pain if on my feet for more the 15 minutes but really try to find ways to get off them due to the burning, tingling and numbness I battle pretty much constantly. Believe it or not I had my first injection in my left foot when I was 12 years old. I'm 40 now. I have not had any problems since that episode at 12 until 4 years ago. And believe me the shots today are a 1000 times better then they were back then. The needles are much better and the cortisone is not as thick as Elmer's glue. Man that was some pain! I have also had:

Standard blood work done last physical
x-ray's, the pod said my heel spur was as big as a house in my left foot
injections
anti inflammatory, don't remember the name. 2 years ago
orthodics custom and over the counter
New Balance, 4 pair I rotate
started to tape again and have done so for just 2 days now
non weight stretches 3 times a day
Ice 4 to 5 times a day. Mainly to calm the burning
At present I'm on my feet for less then 2 hours a day
800mg Advil every 4 hours. Never on empty stomach and I drink at least a gallon of water a day
1000mg vitamin c 3 times a day. Magnesium citrate, b12, calcium and potassium daily
Tried golf ball, set me back
weight baring stretches, set me back
Does not hurt much with first steps in morning. But I still do my stretches first so maybe that's why
Diagnosed with Cavus feet

Here's what I'm thinking plus what you people have suggested.

1- Neurontin
2- Vioxx
3- Celebrex
4- Due to the Burning problem suggested might be varicose vein pooling problem in feet. And to try Support socks
5- B12 test
6- Methadone as last resort for burning

Where should I start with the above or with anything else.

Thank you all so much.

-Marty

Re: Where do I go from here ? My Pod doesn't know

wendyn on 6/03/01 at 23:18 (049804)

Maybe an MRI?

Julie on 6/04/01 at 02:02 (049815)

Marty, tingling and burning can be symptoms of nerve impingement. Have you ever had your spine examined for possible mis-alignment that could cause a herniated disc and consequent nerve impingement?

Re: To Marty: Re: Where do I go from here ? My Pod doesn't know

Christy D. on 6/04/01 at hrmin (049840)

Hi Marty, First of all, I am sorry you are going through this. I completely understand your pain as they say! But believe me you are not alone! I can't be thankful enough for this site. I am in the same dilemma. I have a LARGE bone spur in my right foot and am in the beginning stages of one in my left. Both my bloody feet hurt all the time and it's been going on for one year now. I have done all that you have and nothing seems to help these days. Staying off my feet does not seem to help either as I stay off them for three days, as I sit at my desk and work and feel pain for doing nothing. It IS VERY frustrating. My doc has me on Vioxx, which has helped with the arch pain, but the heel pain does not seem to give me any relief. I am only good for about 1 hour on my feet before the PAIN MODE starts and I want to scream. I am doing lots of research on 'WHAT TO DO'.

My doc told me my only other option is surgery or the ESWT procedure. I am scared to death of surgery. I am only 38 yrs old myself and very active. The doc told me with minor surgery (I think that's PF release) he can only promise 50% better on my feet, but can't make them worse. These are not good odds considering..I can only walk for 1 hour at the moment! The 2nd & 3rd surgery do have risks, but still can not guarantee 100%. I think the complications are because we have nerves and muscles involved int he bottom of the feet and when they do surgery, they can't see these things so their is always the possibly of screwing up. That is what scares me, as I can't afford to have them worse!

I've heard good things about this new procedure (ESWT), but am still doing more research because most insurance companies will not flip the bill, so if I am going to spend anymore damn money on my feet...I want to know ALL! You might want to do your own research on this new procedure!

Wish you the best of luck. And remember your not alone!

GinaC on 6/04/01 at 11:58 (049849)

If you're having burning, numbnes, tingling it could be nerve entrapment or Tarsal Tunnel, along with the PF. You might want to ask for a referral to a neurologist for a nerve conduction test and EMG to see about the nerve entrapment. It's important to find out about entrapment, as I don't believe ESWT is useful for that condition (and may be counter-indicated).

Marty on 6/04/01 at hrmin (049855)

ChristyD, Thanks for your words. I know that you know what I feel. I can not get the surgery at this point because I fear that my family will suffer to much while I'm out of work. We do not have a EWST machine here in Utah and your right even if we did my insurance would flip the bill. Sometimes I wonder if my wife thinks I'm crazy. She's one of those tuff Finns that don't talk about pain just bares it. Anyway I guess I need to go to the support group to talk maybe that would be the best thing I could do for my feet anyway.

Thanks,

-Marty

Re: GinaC, I think your right. More cash and stress on family however :(

Marty on 6/04/01 at hrmin (049856)

I have been thinking about this and I think your right Gina. Wish me luck on finding someone that knows about this condition.

-Marty

Marty on 6/04/01 at 15:49 (049891)

If you have insurance coverage, check on what it would pay for nerve conduction testing. Although the billing rate was very high, the actual cost of the test to me turned out to be $20, as a result of using an in-network provider. I felt it was well worth $20 to know what was going on before I had surgery.

I'm sure your family loves you..if you know you would go through whatever it took for them to improve , I'm sure they will do the same for you. You are all in this together, but I bet they want to be there to help you. Take your time, look at all your alternatives....I wish you well. Gina
PS During my 4+ years with PF, I missed a lot of field trips, sports, and shopping with my daughter, not to mention all the times I was just miserable from pain, but one way or another, we have all survived (although my husband still prays I recover enough to go back to cutting the grass!).

Re: OOPS--wrong author; message by GinaC

GinaC on 6/04/01 at 15:52 (049892)

Sorry about that; the above message is from me, Gina

marty on 6/04/01 at hrmin (049909)

Gina,

Thanks for the support. And it's just the opposite here on the home from. I and my wife pray that I get better. I feel bad I haven't been able to mow the lawn for 2 years now. I had to laugh at your comment. :)

-Marty

Julie on 6/05/01 at 03:00 (049957)

Marty, I'm sure your wife doesn't think you're crazy. And I'll bet (and she probably knows, too) that if she had PF it would be just as hard for her to bear the pain as it is for you.

Re ESWT: you might like to investigate the locations of the various machines. Even if there isn't one in Utah, there is probably one somewhere that you could reach by air. Lots of people have gone some distance to be treated, and been glad they did. Just be sure you are a likely candidate for it before you fork out.

wendyn on 6/03/01 at 23:18 (049804)

Maybe an MRI?

Julie on 6/04/01 at 02:02 (049815)

Marty, tingling and burning can be symptoms of nerve impingement. Have you ever had your spine examined for possible mis-alignment that could cause a herniated disc and consequent nerve impingement?

Christy D. on 6/04/01 at hrmin (049840)

Hi Marty, First of all, I am sorry you are going through this. I completely understand your pain as they say! But believe me you are not alone! I can't be thankful enough for this site. I am in the same dilemma. I have a LARGE bone spur in my right foot and am in the beginning stages of one in my left. Both my bloody feet hurt all the time and it's been going on for one year now. I have done all that you have and nothing seems to help these days. Staying off my feet does not seem to help either as I stay off them for three days, as I sit at my desk and work and feel pain for doing nothing. It IS VERY frustrating. My doc has me on Vioxx, which has helped with the arch pain, but the heel pain does not seem to give me any relief. I am only good for about 1 hour on my feet before the PAIN MODE starts and I want to scream. I am doing lots of research on 'WHAT TO DO'.

My doc told me my only other option is surgery or the ESWT procedure. I am scared to death of surgery. I am only 38 yrs old myself and very active. The doc told me with minor surgery (I think that's PF release) he can only promise 50% better on my feet, but can't make them worse. These are not good odds considering..I can only walk for 1 hour at the moment! The 2nd & 3rd surgery do have risks, but still can not guarantee 100%. I think the complications are because we have nerves and muscles involved int he bottom of the feet and when they do surgery, they can't see these things so their is always the possibly of screwing up. That is what scares me, as I can't afford to have them worse!

I've heard good things about this new procedure (ESWT), but am still doing more research because most insurance companies will not flip the bill, so if I am going to spend anymore damn money on my feet...I want to know ALL! You might want to do your own research on this new procedure!

Wish you the best of luck. And remember your not alone!

GinaC on 6/04/01 at 11:58 (049849)

If you're having burning, numbnes, tingling it could be nerve entrapment or Tarsal Tunnel, along with the PF. You might want to ask for a referral to a neurologist for a nerve conduction test and EMG to see about the nerve entrapment. It's important to find out about entrapment, as I don't believe ESWT is useful for that condition (and may be counter-indicated).

Marty on 6/04/01 at hrmin (049855)

ChristyD, Thanks for your words. I know that you know what I feel. I can not get the surgery at this point because I fear that my family will suffer to much while I'm out of work. We do not have a EWST machine here in Utah and your right even if we did my insurance would flip the bill. Sometimes I wonder if my wife thinks I'm crazy. She's one of those tuff Finns that don't talk about pain just bares it. Anyway I guess I need to go to the support group to talk maybe that would be the best thing I could do for my feet anyway.

Thanks,

-Marty

Marty on 6/04/01 at hrmin (049856)

I have been thinking about this and I think your right Gina. Wish me luck on finding someone that knows about this condition.

-Marty

Marty on 6/04/01 at 15:49 (049891)

If you have insurance coverage, check on what it would pay for nerve conduction testing. Although the billing rate was very high, the actual cost of the test to me turned out to be $20, as a result of using an in-network provider. I felt it was well worth $20 to know what was going on before I had surgery.

I'm sure your family loves you..if you know you would go through whatever it took for them to improve , I'm sure they will do the same for you. You are all in this together, but I bet they want to be there to help you. Take your time, look at all your alternatives....I wish you well. Gina
PS During my 4+ years with PF, I missed a lot of field trips, sports, and shopping with my daughter, not to mention all the times I was just miserable from pain, but one way or another, we have all survived (although my husband still prays I recover enough to go back to cutting the grass!).

Re: OOPS--wrong author; message by GinaC

GinaC on 6/04/01 at 15:52 (049892)

Sorry about that; the above message is from me, Gina

marty on 6/04/01 at hrmin (049909)

Gina,

Thanks for the support. And it's just the opposite here on the home from. I and my wife pray that I get better. I feel bad I haven't been able to mow the lawn for 2 years now. I had to laugh at your comment. :)

-Marty

Julie on 6/05/01 at 03:00 (049957)

Marty, I'm sure your wife doesn't think you're crazy. And I'll bet (and she probably knows, too) that if she had PF it would be just as hard for her to bear the pain as it is for you.

Re ESWT: you might like to investigate the locations of the various machines. Even if there isn't one in Utah, there is probably one somewhere that you could reach by air. Lots of people have gone some distance to be treated, and been glad they did. Just be sure you are a likely candidate for it before you fork out.