Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

chronic foot swelling

Posted by David P. on 6/04/01 at 09:56 (049830)

I have had swelling in my left foot from the base of my toes back to below my ankle for several years. It just appeared one day. May have been result of a trauma but can't really remember now. I have had MRI, x-ray, many examinations all to no avail. There is some arthritis but other wise no visible problem. Wrapping helps but never completely. This has become part of life. Could there be circulation or lymph system problems?

Re: chronic foot swelling

Dr. Biehler on 6/04/01 at 10:40 (049838)

If there was a trama, that might have caused it. There couold be a vascular or lymph problem. As the foot and leg muscles are known as the secondary heart, if you are not walking with a good heel to toe gait, that could also be a contributing factor. It also might be a sign of stained muscles in the foot from an improper biomechanical loading.
Dr. B.

Re: chronic foot swelling

Dr. Biehler on 6/04/01 at 10:40 (049838)

If there was a trama, that might have caused it. There couold be a vascular or lymph problem. As the foot and leg muscles are known as the secondary heart, if you are not walking with a good heel to toe gait, that could also be a contributing factor. It also might be a sign of stained muscles in the foot from an improper biomechanical loading.
Dr. B.