Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ICE WARNING.....

Posted by Christy D on 6/04/01 at hrmin (049842)

Okay kids....Stupid, stupid me!!! Just wanted to advise you all to be very careful and watch the time you ice your feet!

I look SO forward to icing my feet everyday, as it's the only relief I get! Well, Friday, I was not paying attention to the time, and I got up, went upstairs...to be in the worst pain i've felt so far! I actually BURNED my HEELS from the ice!!!! Now I am really kicking myself for it.

Please be careful, don't want any of you to suffer like this!

Re: ICE WARNING.....

john h on 6/04/01 at 12:23 (049852)

christy: you are not using ice directly on your feet i hope. i find the ice wraps you put in the freezer easy and inexpensive. they are enclosed in some sort of expandex material and you can wrap them around your foot anyway you want with little danger of ice damage.

Marty on 6/04/01 at hrmin (049857)

Been there done that twice. Fell asleep with the packs on. Wish I could say it was the worse pain my feet have felt. In a way I think it helped. Made me take extra care of them.

-Marty

Nancy N on 6/04/01 at 13:46 (049871)

My PT had me using real ice, frozen in a paper cup so you could tear down the sides to get to the ice. It was an ice _massage_, which meant that I'd keep it moving in order to prevent this kind of problem (I used a styrofoam cup for this so that my fingers wouldn't freeze). I was also told not to do it for more than 5 minutes. I actually liked it--I never felt like the ice packs were doing as much after I did the ice massage. I think it's the amount of time that's important.

Julie on 6/05/01 at 02:50 (049956)

When I was icing, I used a sports gel pack wrapped in a thin towel. It was effective.

Milo_V on 6/06/01 at 21:15 (050114)

I had done the same thing. Its so easy just to let your foot sit on a bag of ice or whatever. I took my physio's advice and did spot icing. Using 2 pieces of ice and rub or gently massage the inflammed area for up to 5 minutes, no more.

I've also heard that freezing water in dixie cups and peeling back the paper is another way. I'm lucky that my fridge makes large cubes. I just used a paper towel to protect my fingers.

Cheers

Re: ICE WARNING.....and I'm a bit off my rocker

wendyn on 6/06/01 at 22:34 (050121)

A few months ago I burnt my foot with ice - there was a hole in the towel I had wrapped some very cold gel packs in - and I'd left it on a LONG TIME.

Before I'd realized that it was actually a burn - I only knew that I'd found this rather bizarre looking sore purple spot on my foot. For reasons I couldn't understand...this spot made me very nervous. I was very preoccupied with the fact that I thought it was sign of something awful.

(Some of you may recall I have something of a photographic type memory...I have a tendancy to remember the strangest things - not usually anything real important though). I was sure I had read somewhere that a purple spot like this was something to be dreaded.

After days of believing that this purple spot was an ominous sign of doom, I finally figured it out. Then I pondered my grip on reality.

There is a series of books I read years ago by Stephen Donaldson called 'The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant'. The main character has leprosy and he's always checking him for the dangerous purple spots.

Leprosy.

Turns out I was actually stressing over some obscure symptom of leprosy stored in the dusty recess of my brain.

I need a vacation. Or help. Or both.

Re: To Wendy...Re: ICE WARNING.....and I'm a bit off my rocker

Christy D on 6/07/01 at hrmin (050152)

Thanks for the funny story...We need all the laughs we can get! Glad you are okay! I was just really mad at myself over doing such a stupid thing and I certainly don't need to add to my pain...lol

JudyS on 6/08/01 at 11:37 (050267)

I didn't burn my feet with ice but they tell me I'm off my rocker anyway!
Just wanted to say that I've gotten hooked on the gel wraps for icing. They are so super convenient - just pull them out of the freezer, wrap them around your feet and relax for 10-20 minutes. They're as frozen as gel can get but they're not so cold that they can burn like ice. A word to the wise - they last forever so don't buy the cheap ones....expect to pay about $10.00 each for decent ones.

john h on 6/04/01 at 12:23 (049852)

christy: you are not using ice directly on your feet i hope. i find the ice wraps you put in the freezer easy and inexpensive. they are enclosed in some sort of expandex material and you can wrap them around your foot anyway you want with little danger of ice damage.

Marty on 6/04/01 at hrmin (049857)

Been there done that twice. Fell asleep with the packs on. Wish I could say it was the worse pain my feet have felt. In a way I think it helped. Made me take extra care of them.

-Marty

Nancy N on 6/04/01 at 13:46 (049871)

My PT had me using real ice, frozen in a paper cup so you could tear down the sides to get to the ice. It was an ice _massage_, which meant that I'd keep it moving in order to prevent this kind of problem (I used a styrofoam cup for this so that my fingers wouldn't freeze). I was also told not to do it for more than 5 minutes. I actually liked it--I never felt like the ice packs were doing as much after I did the ice massage. I think it's the amount of time that's important.

Julie on 6/05/01 at 02:50 (049956)

When I was icing, I used a sports gel pack wrapped in a thin towel. It was effective.

Milo_V on 6/06/01 at 21:15 (050114)

I had done the same thing. Its so easy just to let your foot sit on a bag of ice or whatever. I took my physio's advice and did spot icing. Using 2 pieces of ice and rub or gently massage the inflammed area for up to 5 minutes, no more.

I've also heard that freezing water in dixie cups and peeling back the paper is another way. I'm lucky that my fridge makes large cubes. I just used a paper towel to protect my fingers.

Cheers

Re: ICE WARNING.....and I'm a bit off my rocker

wendyn on 6/06/01 at 22:34 (050121)

A few months ago I burnt my foot with ice - there was a hole in the towel I had wrapped some very cold gel packs in - and I'd left it on a LONG TIME.

Before I'd realized that it was actually a burn - I only knew that I'd found this rather bizarre looking sore purple spot on my foot. For reasons I couldn't understand...this spot made me very nervous. I was very preoccupied with the fact that I thought it was sign of something awful.

(Some of you may recall I have something of a photographic type memory...I have a tendancy to remember the strangest things - not usually anything real important though). I was sure I had read somewhere that a purple spot like this was something to be dreaded.

After days of believing that this purple spot was an ominous sign of doom, I finally figured it out. Then I pondered my grip on reality.

There is a series of books I read years ago by Stephen Donaldson called 'The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant'. The main character has leprosy and he's always checking him for the dangerous purple spots.

Leprosy.

Turns out I was actually stressing over some obscure symptom of leprosy stored in the dusty recess of my brain.

I need a vacation. Or help. Or both.

Re: To Wendy...Re: ICE WARNING.....and I'm a bit off my rocker

Christy D on 6/07/01 at hrmin (050152)

Thanks for the funny story...We need all the laughs we can get! Glad you are okay! I was just really mad at myself over doing such a stupid thing and I certainly don't need to add to my pain...lol

JudyS on 6/08/01 at 11:37 (050267)

I didn't burn my feet with ice but they tell me I'm off my rocker anyway!
Just wanted to say that I've gotten hooked on the gel wraps for icing. They are so super convenient - just pull them out of the freezer, wrap them around your feet and relax for 10-20 minutes. They're as frozen as gel can get but they're not so cold that they can burn like ice. A word to the wise - they last forever so don't buy the cheap ones....expect to pay about $10.00 each for decent ones.