Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Sorry this is long, please read, thanks

Posted by Marty on 6/04/01 at hrmin (049881)

First off thanks for the help.

I see my pod this Tuesday and would like some suggestions to discuss with him. He is patient and will listen. I live Salt Lake City. Here's my history with him:

MY DIAGNOSIS by 3 Pod's : Heel spurs and Cavus feet.
IN PAST 2 MONTHS:

casted feet for orthodics and 1st injection. Put me on 800mg of Advil.
received orthodics
2 injections of some sort on water and oil base steroid. Wish I could remember name.

THE PAST 2 YEARS:

Standard blood work done last physical
x-ray's, the pod said my heel spur was as big as a house in my left foot
injections
anti inflammatory, don't remember the name. 2 years ago
orthodics custom and over the counter
New Balance, 4 pair I rotate
started to tape again and have done so for just 2 days now
non weight stretches 3 times a day
Ice 4 to 5 times a day. Mainly to calm the burning
At present I'm on my feet for less then 2 hours a day
800mg Advil every 4 hours. Never on empty stomach and I drink at least a gallon of water a day
1000mg vitamin c 3 times a day. Magnesium citrate, b12, calcium and potassium daily
Tried golf ball, set me back
weight baring stretches, set me back
Does not hurt much with first steps in morning. But I still do my stretches first so maybe that's why
Diagnosed with Cavus feet

Possible contributors:

I competed in Karate for years on hard wood floors and no shoes. I know this caused some major damage as I had to tape them up to even compete many times. Not sure why the burning is so bad? Especially in the right foot where the spur is small. Could it be vascular, lymph or tarsal tunnel due to the damage caused from competition? I believe my gate is good now but have worked on it for years. As a teen I would walk on my toes and do what I call a double bounce. I run on my toes only for years.

Possible action:

1- Neurontin
2- Vioxx
3- Celebrex
4- Due to the Burning problem suggested might be varicose vein pooling problem in feet. And to try Support socks
5- B12 test
6- Methadone as last resort for burning

Where should I start with the above or with anything else.

Thank you all so much.

-Marty

Re: Sorry this is long, please read, thanks

Dr. Biehler on 6/04/01 at 18:09 (049902)

As you probably know by now, it is very unusual for the heel spur to be the cause of the pain. If you have cavus feet, these can be difficult ot work with. First I would suggest a complete bio-mechanical exam of the foot. This should show not only if you have all the needed range of motion but also if your foot type is making you compensate in such a way as to trigger a secondary nerve intrapment. Also you didn't metion where your pain is or if the injections helped. If they didn't, your pain might not be originating in the foot. Dr. B.

Re: Sorry this is long, please read, thanks

Dr. Biehler on 6/04/01 at 18:09 (049902)

As you probably know by now, it is very unusual for the heel spur to be the cause of the pain. If you have cavus feet, these can be difficult ot work with. First I would suggest a complete bio-mechanical exam of the foot. This should show not only if you have all the needed range of motion but also if your foot type is making you compensate in such a way as to trigger a secondary nerve intrapment. Also you didn't metion where your pain is or if the injections helped. If they didn't, your pain might not be originating in the foot. Dr. B.