Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Questions??

Posted by Mary S. on 6/04/01 at 21:17 (049935)

Hello, Tammie and everyone, hope all is well. I've had a really good day. I do have some questions maybe you can help with. It has been 10 days since my surgery (incision on back of calf)--my calf, heel and ankle are sorta numb to the touch but ache inside. They also feel sort of prickly. Is this normal for this point in time? I wonder if I am elevating it too much for too long. The doctor never said to ice it, but shouldn't that help?
The doctor said that I could sleep with the boot off, so today, I laid around soooo much I never put it on. It is just sooo much more comfortable. Shouldn't that be ok? I do have a large bandage on it.
Sorry for all the questions, but many of you are so far ahead of me in recovery and know so much more.
Tammie, how are things? I hope you have been getting some good rest even though it sounds like it's hard to slow you down.
Brian, hope you've gotten over your Bass fishing trip and feeling better.
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to lift my spirits and give advice. I'm grateful for you all. Wishing each of you pain free feet.

Re: Questions??

BrianG on 6/05/01 at 10:55 (049987)

Hi Mary,

I had a different type of surgery (EPF) but I think the healing was probably about the same. Yes, there were days when the area felt kind of numb, and other days it was real itchey. I'm surprised your doc didn't tell you to ice it, it keeps the swelling down. I used frozen bags of peas, still do! I would think your doc would want to answer any questions you have. His responsibility did not end with the operation. Contact him if necessary, it's all part of the package. The heels took a real beating on Sat, fished the whole day in pouring rain. I do feel a little better today, as I was able to tape my feet again. I'm starting to be a big believer in taping. Good luck, keep on healing.

Mary S. on 6/05/01 at 16:25 (050008)

Brian--I have a call in to doctor right now. Out of pain med. and think he probably won't give more. I have a huge gel pack that is nice and flexible that I have started to use for swelling. Just can't figure out why this swelling suddenly started. I love your creative solution with the bags of peas!! So glad you felt good enough to go fishing. I use to fish alot at our family lake--had the best time whenever we would get on a Brim bed. Those little things would put up a big fight!! This time of the year in the South it is sooo hot you can only stand to fish in the very early dawn hours and at dusk. How relaxing and peaceful it can be! I also live close to the Gulf Coast, and there is great salt water fishing there. As long as you can get out and enjoy yourself, that is great! Thanks again.

BrianG on 6/05/01 at 18:34 (050016)

Hi Mary,

I don't know if you talked to your doc yet, but here are a couple helpful hints on getting more pain meds. Don't just tell him your feet hurt and expect to get more. Start making a list of when they hurt. Write down what makes them hurt the worst. Rate the pain at certain times during the day. O bieng no pain, and 10 is next to death. I feel I'm usually in the 6-7 pain rnge, only because I have the meds. Otherwise my pain would be higher. Tell him you communcate with a group of people who have had the smae operation, and not everyone heals the 1st week. There are a lot of people who need the meds for a month, sometimes more. If it hurts too much to sleep, let him know. Tell him you have never had a drug problem in your life, and you don't intend to start now, it's just that you need some relief for a couple, few weeks.

He will want this information for your files. Some doctors feel they need this information in the patients files in case the DEA comes poking around. Of course his DEA fears are totally unfounded. They (DEA) expect patients to have pain and to be treated adaquetly. They will go after the doc's who have a history of giving large amounts of drugs to multiple patients. The average doc has nothing to worry about. I hope it goes well for you. Sometimes it helps to bring a relative to the office that will help substanciate your pain.

Like I've said before, I HATE to see people suffer needlessly. Good luck, and I liked hearing about the fishing.

BCG

Laurie R on 6/05/01 at 21:02 (050028)

Hi Brian, I know this was for Mary,but you have also helped me. Thank you for always helping out. I really enjoy your posts.. You have done your homework. I feel the sam eway as you whenit comes to pain meds. They are there for thoes who need them ..No one should have to suffer if their is pain meds to ease the pain.... Thanks again , Laurie R

Re: Questions??RE Mary

Laurie R on 6/05/01 at 21:07 (050029)

Hi Mary , I see you made it to the social board.Welcome.....

Did your doctor call you back?? If so let us know what he said. I sure hope he gave you a refill on your pain meds...My very best to you .Laurie R

Re: Your welcome

BrianG on 6/06/01 at 07:46 (050052)

Your welcome Laurie. I've been a pain wimp my whole life. It wasn't until the advent of the mighty internet that I knew help was out there, and most importantly, how to get it. I am by no means a junkie, and would give anything to taper off my meds. Until then, they are just another pill I have to take in order to work, and to do life :*)

BCG

ellen w on 6/06/01 at 09:49 (050058)

Mary,

When I had surgery to repair my broken ankle, I started getting a lot of swelling. What helped me the most on that was massage therapy -- I found a therapist trained in medical techniques who would come to my house for treatment, and he would literally work the lymph back up the leg. You might want to talk to your doctor about whether he/she thinks this would help, and if you do pursue this, if there are any areas that a message therapist shouldn't go near due to the surgery. (Just be warned -- most surgeons seem conservative, and not open to complementary treatment. My surgeon didn't bother to return any of the calls my massage therapist placed to him, so we worked very gingerly around the surgical incisions and concentrated mostly on the leg itself. My physical therapist, on the other hand, was convinced that this helped me heal faster than other patients he had treated with the same injury.)

ellen

Mary S. on 6/07/01 at 21:58 (050208)

Laurie--thanks for the welcome and concern. Yes, i did get a call and another refill. I also bumped my next appointment up several days. I'll see him Mon. According to the nurse, my complains are normal, but she still thought i better come on in. How are you? Thanks again for checking!!! you made my day brighter.

Re: Ellen

Mary S. on 6/08/01 at 09:17 (050255)

Ellen-- Thank you soooo much for this suggestion. It makes sense that this should help. I will check into it and even mention it to my doctor. When I asked him about when I would start therapy, he said we would see, that I might not need it. I am really going to push for the therapy because sooo many people on this board and Dr. Reid say that it is so important. I am so happy that you healed quickly--you lucky girl. I am looking forward to the day that I am back on my feet again. I intend to spend more time outside when this is over. Being inside for just two weeks has made me long to go out and relish the fresh air, sunshine--our beautiful world. Thanks again. Wishing you happy feet always!

ellen w on 6/11/01 at 09:11 (050432)

Hi Mary,

In addition to massage therapy, I would also push the doctor to recommend physical therapy. I got only the basics after my broken ankle (how to move on crutches, how to fall, how to get up after a fall and some strengthening exercises). Because the importance of strengthening exercises weren't stressed, I concentrated more on walking. This was good from a functional perspective -- I was able to move around and get to work -- but both my legs really degenerated from a strength perspective. Plus I gained a ton of weight, which added additional stress. Over the several years since this surgery, I've had a number of ankle/knee problems, many of them related to trying to increase exercise levels. I suspect that if I had done proper conditioning early on, at least some of them could have been prevented. Soooo... in addition to massage therapy to work on the lymph, also try to get your doc to approve pt.

I hope you're doing well,
ellen

BrianG on 6/05/01 at 10:55 (049987)

Hi Mary,

I had a different type of surgery (EPF) but I think the healing was probably about the same. Yes, there were days when the area felt kind of numb, and other days it was real itchey. I'm surprised your doc didn't tell you to ice it, it keeps the swelling down. I used frozen bags of peas, still do! I would think your doc would want to answer any questions you have. His responsibility did not end with the operation. Contact him if necessary, it's all part of the package. The heels took a real beating on Sat, fished the whole day in pouring rain. I do feel a little better today, as I was able to tape my feet again. I'm starting to be a big believer in taping. Good luck, keep on healing.

Mary S. on 6/05/01 at 16:25 (050008)

Brian--I have a call in to doctor right now. Out of pain med. and think he probably won't give more. I have a huge gel pack that is nice and flexible that I have started to use for swelling. Just can't figure out why this swelling suddenly started. I love your creative solution with the bags of peas!! So glad you felt good enough to go fishing. I use to fish alot at our family lake--had the best time whenever we would get on a Brim bed. Those little things would put up a big fight!! This time of the year in the South it is sooo hot you can only stand to fish in the very early dawn hours and at dusk. How relaxing and peaceful it can be! I also live close to the Gulf Coast, and there is great salt water fishing there. As long as you can get out and enjoy yourself, that is great! Thanks again.

BrianG on 6/05/01 at 18:34 (050016)

Hi Mary,

I don't know if you talked to your doc yet, but here are a couple helpful hints on getting more pain meds. Don't just tell him your feet hurt and expect to get more. Start making a list of when they hurt. Write down what makes them hurt the worst. Rate the pain at certain times during the day. O bieng no pain, and 10 is next to death. I feel I'm usually in the 6-7 pain rnge, only because I have the meds. Otherwise my pain would be higher. Tell him you communcate with a group of people who have had the smae operation, and not everyone heals the 1st week. There are a lot of people who need the meds for a month, sometimes more. If it hurts too much to sleep, let him know. Tell him you have never had a drug problem in your life, and you don't intend to start now, it's just that you need some relief for a couple, few weeks.

He will want this information for your files. Some doctors feel they need this information in the patients files in case the DEA comes poking around. Of course his DEA fears are totally unfounded. They (DEA) expect patients to have pain and to be treated adaquetly. They will go after the doc's who have a history of giving large amounts of drugs to multiple patients. The average doc has nothing to worry about. I hope it goes well for you. Sometimes it helps to bring a relative to the office that will help substanciate your pain.

Like I've said before, I HATE to see people suffer needlessly. Good luck, and I liked hearing about the fishing.

BCG

Laurie R on 6/05/01 at 21:02 (050028)

Hi Brian, I know this was for Mary,but you have also helped me. Thank you for always helping out. I really enjoy your posts.. You have done your homework. I feel the sam eway as you whenit comes to pain meds. They are there for thoes who need them ..No one should have to suffer if their is pain meds to ease the pain.... Thanks again , Laurie R

Laurie R on 6/05/01 at 21:07 (050029)

Hi Mary , I see you made it to the social board.Welcome.....

Did your doctor call you back?? If so let us know what he said. I sure hope he gave you a refill on your pain meds...My very best to you .Laurie R

BrianG on 6/06/01 at 07:46 (050052)

Your welcome Laurie. I've been a pain wimp my whole life. It wasn't until the advent of the mighty internet that I knew help was out there, and most importantly, how to get it. I am by no means a junkie, and would give anything to taper off my meds. Until then, they are just another pill I have to take in order to work, and to do life :*)

BCG

ellen w on 6/06/01 at 09:49 (050058)

Mary,

When I had surgery to repair my broken ankle, I started getting a lot of swelling. What helped me the most on that was massage therapy -- I found a therapist trained in medical techniques who would come to my house for treatment, and he would literally work the lymph back up the leg. You might want to talk to your doctor about whether he/she thinks this would help, and if you do pursue this, if there are any areas that a message therapist shouldn't go near due to the surgery. (Just be warned -- most surgeons seem conservative, and not open to complementary treatment. My surgeon didn't bother to return any of the calls my massage therapist placed to him, so we worked very gingerly around the surgical incisions and concentrated mostly on the leg itself. My physical therapist, on the other hand, was convinced that this helped me heal faster than other patients he had treated with the same injury.)

ellen

Mary S. on 6/07/01 at 21:58 (050208)

Laurie--thanks for the welcome and concern. Yes, i did get a call and another refill. I also bumped my next appointment up several days. I'll see him Mon. According to the nurse, my complains are normal, but she still thought i better come on in. How are you? Thanks again for checking!!! you made my day brighter.

Mary S. on 6/08/01 at 09:17 (050255)

Ellen-- Thank you soooo much for this suggestion. It makes sense that this should help. I will check into it and even mention it to my doctor. When I asked him about when I would start therapy, he said we would see, that I might not need it. I am really going to push for the therapy because sooo many people on this board and Dr. Reid say that it is so important. I am so happy that you healed quickly--you lucky girl. I am looking forward to the day that I am back on my feet again. I intend to spend more time outside when this is over. Being inside for just two weeks has made me long to go out and relish the fresh air, sunshine--our beautiful world. Thanks again. Wishing you happy feet always!

ellen w on 6/11/01 at 09:11 (050432)

Hi Mary,

In addition to massage therapy, I would also push the doctor to recommend physical therapy. I got only the basics after my broken ankle (how to move on crutches, how to fall, how to get up after a fall and some strengthening exercises). Because the importance of strengthening exercises weren't stressed, I concentrated more on walking. This was good from a functional perspective -- I was able to move around and get to work -- but both my legs really degenerated from a strength perspective. Plus I gained a ton of weight, which added additional stress. Over the several years since this surgery, I've had a number of ankle/knee problems, many of them related to trying to increase exercise levels. I suspect that if I had done proper conditioning early on, at least some of them could have been prevented. Soooo... in addition to massage therapy to work on the lymph, also try to get your doc to approve pt.

I hope you're doing well,
ellen