Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Spur, Arithritis, Tendonitis, Overweight, and over 50 years old, CNA

Posted by Linda on 6/05/01 at 03:38 (049961)

I went to the emergency room at the local hospital because I am new to the area and have no doctor. Confirmation of arthritis in my left knee, and a good sized heel spur on my left heel showed up on x-rays. My left knee and foot was red and swelled and I have tendonitis in my foot. Motrin and Darvecet were prescribed for pain control and inflamation. Heat then ice was applied. I went to a Podiatrist 2 weeks later who took more x-rays to check for a stress fracture. The Podiatrist gave me a shot of cortizone injection into the heel. Then he applied professional tape to the top of my foot, and the underside, then the heel. Arthrotec 75, was prescribed for arthritis and inflamation and Orthotics Arch Support's were placed in my shoes.
I am a nurse-aide of over 30 years, which is a lot of bending, lifting, kneeling, and wear and tear on my body. I am over weight and over 50 years old. I tolerated the pain of the heel spur for years. Can this straighten out without surgery ? Or have I just waited to long ? Thanks,

Re: P.S. osteoarthritis in my lower spine.

Linda on 6/05/01 at 03:52 (049962)

I also have osteoarthritis in my lower spine as well as my knee. My whole left side seems to be effected. Can osteoarthritis cause heel spurs?

Julie on 6/05/01 at 07:01 (049965)

Hi Linda

I'm not a doctor, but want to welcome you to heelspurs.com. I suggest you re-post your message on the 'Ask the Foot Doctors' board to be sure of getting a response from one of them.

Meanwhile, please read the heel pain book on this website for information about heel spur and plantar fasciitis. There are many conservative treatments to be tried before surgery, so be hopeful.

Osteoarthritis in the spine could certainly be a cause of heel pain, if there is nerve impingement involved. Have you had this checked out?

Incidentally, in the great majority of cases, it is not the spur that causes the pain. It's now thought that the spur is the body's response to the pain of plantar fasciitis - it lays down bone deposits in an attempt to heal the tears.

You will find lots of helpful information and support here, so keep asking questions and let us know how you get on.

All the best, Julie

Re: Heel Spur, Arithritis, Tendonitis, Overweight, and over 50 years old, CNA

Dr. Biehler on 6/05/01 at 08:17 (049973)

It sound like you found a good doctor who is willing to take a comprehensive approch. Good luck with the outcome. Dr. B.

Re: Thanks for the warm welcome.

Linda on 6/05/01 at 10:54 (049986)

Thank you Julie for your kind responce and suggestions. I am glad I found a place where I can discuss foot ailments with other sufferers and professionals. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Linda on 6/05/01 at 10:56 (049988)

Thank you Dr. Biehler for your kind and quick responce. I am glad I found a place with foot sufferers and professionals. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Laurie R on 6/05/01 at 11:21 (049989)

Hi Linda , Welcome to the board..It sounds like you are on the right track with this new doctor ..I don't really have anything to add,but I wanted to welcome you.Laurie R

Re: Hi, Laurie.

LindaA on 6/05/01 at 18:06 (050013)

Thanks for the warm welcome. You are all very nice and very helpful here.

Linda on 6/05/01 at 03:52 (049962)

I also have osteoarthritis in my lower spine as well as my knee. My whole left side seems to be effected. Can osteoarthritis cause heel spurs?

Julie on 6/05/01 at 07:01 (049965)

Hi Linda

I'm not a doctor, but want to welcome you to heelspurs.com. I suggest you re-post your message on the 'Ask the Foot Doctors' board to be sure of getting a response from one of them.

Meanwhile, please read the heel pain book on this website for information about heel spur and plantar fasciitis. There are many conservative treatments to be tried before surgery, so be hopeful.

Osteoarthritis in the spine could certainly be a cause of heel pain, if there is nerve impingement involved. Have you had this checked out?

Incidentally, in the great majority of cases, it is not the spur that causes the pain. It's now thought that the spur is the body's response to the pain of plantar fasciitis - it lays down bone deposits in an attempt to heal the tears.

You will find lots of helpful information and support here, so keep asking questions and let us know how you get on.

All the best, Julie

Dr. Biehler on 6/05/01 at 08:17 (049973)

It sound like you found a good doctor who is willing to take a comprehensive approch. Good luck with the outcome. Dr. B.

Linda on 6/05/01 at 10:54 (049986)

Thank you Julie for your kind responce and suggestions. I am glad I found a place where I can discuss foot ailments with other sufferers and professionals. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Linda on 6/05/01 at 10:56 (049988)

Thank you Dr. Biehler for your kind and quick responce. I am glad I found a place with foot sufferers and professionals. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Laurie R on 6/05/01 at 11:21 (049989)

Hi Linda , Welcome to the board..It sounds like you are on the right track with this new doctor ..I don't really have anything to add,but I wanted to welcome you.Laurie R

Re: Hi, Laurie.

LindaA on 6/05/01 at 18:06 (050013)

Thanks for the warm welcome. You are all very nice and very helpful here.