Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Please help - new plantar fasciitis sufferer

Posted by Elaine A on 6/05/01 at hrmin (049997)

Hello I have recently been diagnosed as suffering from PF. I have excruciating pain in the evenings in my right heel but notice that most PF sufferers experience pain in the morning -is it possible I have a heel spur and should I persue this with my doctor who has admitted that they have neer treated anyone with PF before??. My doctor has given me a cortisone injection (two weeks ago) which to date has had no effect. I have read the web site and am so releived to find fellow sufferers but can anyone guide me as to what I should be doing next? My only ratioanle for this probem is that for years I have ironed for a living and think that it may be the possible cause??? Any help or advise would help be so gladly received.Elaine

Re: Please help - new plantar fasciitis sufferer

Valerie S on 6/05/01 at hrmin (050001)

Hi Elaine.

I am not a doctor,

but wanted to welcome you to heelspurs.com. You will find lots of information and helpful advice from the great people here. If you haven't yet, please read the PF Book; there's a link at the top of the message board page. You will find that Scott has put together a great collection of information that you can try until you find a doctor that can help you.

I am wondering what kind of doctor you saw for your feet? I would seek the advice of a doctor that has experience with PF for sure -- I am working with a podiatrist, many people swear by Sports Med Doctors and Orthopedic Surgeons. You might end up shopping around to find a doctor that can appreciate your situation and/or help you. I wouldn't let anyone inject my feet without an accurate diagnosis either...

I am sorry to hear that you are suffering, and I hope you can find some relief soon. I also work in a job that requires me to be on my feet all day, and I have been off work for almost 3 months now. I believe that standing on your feet all day can be and IS a contributor and/or aggravator of PF.

Good luck to you, Elaine. Read the PF Book, ask questions, make friends here. It helps to know that you really are not alone.

Your friend, Val.

Julie on 6/05/01 at 16:27 (050009)

Hello Elaine

Welcome to heelspurs.com. I'm not a doctor either, but lots of us chime in here and I don't think the doctors mind!

Yes, standing jobs are thought to be a contributory cause of plantar fasciitis, so quite possibly your job has been a factor. Do you do the work privately - I mean, do you take in ironing and do it in your home? If so, you might be able to change your routine - it is possible to iron sitting down. I know it would be difficult to change your way of working when you've done it one way for so long, but it would certainly be worth trying. I don't know what your options would be if you work in a commercial envirinment, though.

You should certainly see another doctor, one who knows about feet, so that you can get a full evaluation, an accurate diagnosis, and help and support in dealing with your problem.

All the best, Julie

Dr. Biehler on 6/05/01 at 20:38 (050026)

If the cortisone didn't help at all, it might be time to have the diagnosis revisited. Dr. B.

Valerie S on 6/05/01 at hrmin (050001)

Hi Elaine.

I am not a doctor,

but wanted to welcome you to heelspurs.com. You will find lots of information and helpful advice from the great people here. If you haven't yet, please read the PF Book; there's a link at the top of the message board page. You will find that Scott has put together a great collection of information that you can try until you find a doctor that can help you.

I am wondering what kind of doctor you saw for your feet? I would seek the advice of a doctor that has experience with PF for sure -- I am working with a podiatrist, many people swear by Sports Med Doctors and Orthopedic Surgeons. You might end up shopping around to find a doctor that can appreciate your situation and/or help you. I wouldn't let anyone inject my feet without an accurate diagnosis either...

I am sorry to hear that you are suffering, and I hope you can find some relief soon. I also work in a job that requires me to be on my feet all day, and I have been off work for almost 3 months now. I believe that standing on your feet all day can be and IS a contributor and/or aggravator of PF.

Good luck to you, Elaine. Read the PF Book, ask questions, make friends here. It helps to know that you really are not alone.

Your friend, Val.

Julie on 6/05/01 at 16:27 (050009)

Hello Elaine

Welcome to heelspurs.com. I'm not a doctor either, but lots of us chime in here and I don't think the doctors mind!

Yes, standing jobs are thought to be a contributory cause of plantar fasciitis, so quite possibly your job has been a factor. Do you do the work privately - I mean, do you take in ironing and do it in your home? If so, you might be able to change your routine - it is possible to iron sitting down. I know it would be difficult to change your way of working when you've done it one way for so long, but it would certainly be worth trying. I don't know what your options would be if you work in a commercial envirinment, though.

You should certainly see another doctor, one who knows about feet, so that you can get a full evaluation, an accurate diagnosis, and help and support in dealing with your problem.

All the best, Julie

Dr. Biehler on 6/05/01 at 20:38 (050026)

If the cortisone didn't help at all, it might be time to have the diagnosis revisited. Dr. B.