Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What Kind of Birkenstocks

Posted by Steve M on 6/05/01 at 19:00 (050017)

The info that Richard has provided here is invaluable. I received a pair of 3/4 length hard custom orthotics from my DPM about 2 months ago. He just gave them to me and gave me no advice on shoes. I have been using them with some sucess but not total pain relief. Unfortunately, it appears I was using them in the wrong shoes. Tennis sneakers with little arch support and loafers. I recently went out and purchased a pair of clarks shoes and asics running shoes. Both shoes seem to match the recommendations that Richard has given and I have found that my feet hurt less with the new shoes. Thank You Richard.

Now my question. It seems that alot of people recommend birkenstocks. I went to the store and there seem to be so many different kinds. The man recommended the Arizona and told me there is the original hard soles and a new soft inner sole that does not require breaking in. Which is better for PF suffers. The soft ones seem more comfortable but support and healing is my major reason for spending so much to buy birkenstocks. Thanks

Re: What Kind of Birkenstocks

Amy A. on 6/05/01 at 20:12 (050024)

Hi Steve...as a fellow PF sufferer I have tried both types of the Birkenstock Arizona, soft footbed as well as the original hard footbed. The soft footbed really caused my feet to hurt after only wearing them a short while. I returned them to the store for a pair of the original hard footbeds. The originals have really helped me. In fact, all I wear now are my Birkenstocks! Hope you can find the right ones...

Donna M. on 6/05/01 at 23:51 (050038)

Hi Steve! I, like Amy, only wear Birkenstocks now! I went to a local department store and got fitted for Birks and got my first pair there. Since then I go to http://www.birkenstock-cn.com which is the German site where you can buy Birkenstocks for ¼ the price in town! So now I own 6 pairs, plus a pair of the 2 piece arch support system made by Birkenstock, for my tennis shoes!!
I think the original hard bed is probably better for most of us PF sufferers, because we need the support. I can finally walk now, most of the time, and not have such a noticable limp and stay on my feet longer!
Good luck on finding what is best for you and I hope you find it soon!!

Julie on 6/06/01 at 02:20 (050044)

Steve, if you are tolerating your hard orthotics, you should be all right with the harder Birkenstock footbed. You will need time to break them in, so wear them for short periods, starting with an hour a day (or less if necessary) and building up. I would suggest you buy your first pair from the store, so you can get properly fitted and so that you can return the shoes easily if you find you need to change them. Then, if you get devoted to Birks, you can buy them from the German Birkenstock website.

Like many here, I love the classic Arizonas, but different styles suit different folk. Note that some of the many styles have different footbeds, so don't order anything on line unless you're sure it's ok for you.

Amy A. on 6/05/01 at 20:12 (050024)

Hi Steve...as a fellow PF sufferer I have tried both types of the Birkenstock Arizona, soft footbed as well as the original hard footbed. The soft footbed really caused my feet to hurt after only wearing them a short while. I returned them to the store for a pair of the original hard footbeds. The originals have really helped me. In fact, all I wear now are my Birkenstocks! Hope you can find the right ones...

Donna M. on 6/05/01 at 23:51 (050038)

Hi Steve! I, like Amy, only wear Birkenstocks now! I went to a local department store and got fitted for Birks and got my first pair there. Since then I go to http://www.birkenstock-cn.com which is the German site where you can buy Birkenstocks for ¼ the price in town! So now I own 6 pairs, plus a pair of the 2 piece arch support system made by Birkenstock, for my tennis shoes!!
I think the original hard bed is probably better for most of us PF sufferers, because we need the support. I can finally walk now, most of the time, and not have such a noticable limp and stay on my feet longer!
Good luck on finding what is best for you and I hope you find it soon!!

Julie on 6/06/01 at 02:20 (050044)

Steve, if you are tolerating your hard orthotics, you should be all right with the harder Birkenstock footbed. You will need time to break them in, so wear them for short periods, starting with an hour a day (or less if necessary) and building up. I would suggest you buy your first pair from the store, so you can get properly fitted and so that you can return the shoes easily if you find you need to change them. Then, if you get devoted to Birks, you can buy them from the German Birkenstock website.

Like many here, I love the classic Arizonas, but different styles suit different folk. Note that some of the many styles have different footbeds, so don't order anything on line unless you're sure it's ok for you.