Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Brian G

Posted by Laurie R on 6/07/01 at 00:32 (050125)

Hi Brian , I just had to post about you and what I think of you. I think others will like this too...

I have been on this board for about 1.5 years now ... It has helped me so much.

I would like to thank you so much for always helping everyone and letting everyone know that it is ok to take 'Pain meds ' when we need them.

I like you have to take pain meds everyday . We are not Junkies at all , we are people in pain that would like to have it go away. Now we know sometimes that will not happen ,but I feel just like you .The meds are their to help us ... Even with the meds I am still in pain ,but they do help take the edge off ....

Their was a time I would not take any type of pain pills in fear of getting hooked on them. Now I am at the point I don't care if I am hooked then I am hooked ,but by all means I am not a druggie ...

Again thank you so much for all you do on this matter. You make me feel ok about taking the pain meds.. I really mean this ....

I hope you are doing well....

Laurie R

Re: To Brian G

BrianG on 6/07/01 at 07:48 (050133)

Thanks Laurie,

I guess it's really a mission of mine to let people know there are alternatives to chronic pain. Unfortunatly there has been a stigma in this area for such a long time. Things are changing now, and they are changing for the better. Like I said before, it's all due to the internet. Before the net, people had to rely solely on what their doctors told them. The number of suicides due to chronic pain has been astronomical, and continues today.

Try not to think of yourself as 'hooked'. You are not craving a high, seeking more and more drugs almost daily. Most people don't even realize that people in pain do not get the 'high' effects. Lets think of taking our meds as being accomidated. If and when we're healed, we'll slowly taper off the meds, barely feeling any discomfert. It may take a couple of months, but it's really no big deal. I really look forward to that day, and I'm sure you do also. Lets keep on informing them :*)

BCG

PS Pain med information is readily available, I'll be glad to point anyone in that direction.

Re: Pain & Suicide

Steve P on 6/07/01 at 09:47 (050141)

Brian --- You are so right. My neighbor (3 houses away) committed suicide due to chronic pain last year. She was 64. Her doctor didn't want to take an MRI until she turned 65, so that Medicare would cover it. But she never made it to 65. Isn't that crazy?

I lost my brother to suicide 5 years ago. I loved him & miss him every single day of my life.

As you said above, pain management is extremely important & awareness about it is absolutely critical. In this day & age it is an unspeakable tragedy that people take their lives over pain that could have been alleviated.

Re: State regulations

BrianG on 6/07/01 at 10:43 (050150)

I hope every doctor here is aware of pain regulations in his / her state. If you follow these guidelines, you can help your patients when they come to you with unbearable pain. With a little luck, the following link will take you to your state regs:

http::members.nbci.com/_cprc_/statepainlaws.html

BCG

brianG on 6/07/01 at 10:50 (050153)

Sorry, didn't want to go through. I'll look for another link

BCG

Laurie R on 6/07/01 at 15:33 (050169)

Hi Brian , Thank you again for your kind words. I think a lot of people just don't understand pain meds. If I tell someone that I'm on pain meds the first thing they say is ,that can't be good for you to take everyday. I just say it is better then the bad pain. I don't think their is a pain med that takes all the pain away ,but taking the edge off of it is worth it to me. I will take your advise and I appreciate it so much. Thanks again Brian..... Your wonderful...Laurie R

Donna M on 6/07/01 at 23:39 (050225)

Yes, I agree with y'all, Brian keep up the good work!
Laurie what you said is so true, most people don't understand pain medicine. Also a lot of people think you are 'weak' if you take it.
SteveP, my sister committed suicide on Easter 1999, from being in so much pain. So I know where you are coming from.
Again, Brian, thanks for the kind words of encouragement to everyone and letting them know that some or most of their pain can be helped!

BrianG on 6/07/01 at 07:48 (050133)

Thanks Laurie,

I guess it's really a mission of mine to let people know there are alternatives to chronic pain. Unfortunatly there has been a stigma in this area for such a long time. Things are changing now, and they are changing for the better. Like I said before, it's all due to the internet. Before the net, people had to rely solely on what their doctors told them. The number of suicides due to chronic pain has been astronomical, and continues today.

Try not to think of yourself as 'hooked'. You are not craving a high, seeking more and more drugs almost daily. Most people don't even realize that people in pain do not get the 'high' effects. Lets think of taking our meds as being accomidated. If and when we're healed, we'll slowly taper off the meds, barely feeling any discomfert. It may take a couple of months, but it's really no big deal. I really look forward to that day, and I'm sure you do also. Lets keep on informing them :*)

BCG

PS Pain med information is readily available, I'll be glad to point anyone in that direction.

Re: Pain & Suicide

Steve P on 6/07/01 at 09:47 (050141)

Brian --- You are so right. My neighbor (3 houses away) committed suicide due to chronic pain last year. She was 64. Her doctor didn't want to take an MRI until she turned 65, so that Medicare would cover it. But she never made it to 65. Isn't that crazy?

I lost my brother to suicide 5 years ago. I loved him & miss him every single day of my life.

As you said above, pain management is extremely important & awareness about it is absolutely critical. In this day & age it is an unspeakable tragedy that people take their lives over pain that could have been alleviated.

BrianG on 6/07/01 at 10:43 (050150)

I hope every doctor here is aware of pain regulations in his / her state. If you follow these guidelines, you can help your patients when they come to you with unbearable pain. With a little luck, the following link will take you to your state regs:

http::members.nbci.com/_cprc_/statepainlaws.html

BCG

brianG on 6/07/01 at 10:50 (050153)

Sorry, didn't want to go through. I'll look for another link

BCG

Laurie R on 6/07/01 at 15:33 (050169)

Hi Brian , Thank you again for your kind words. I think a lot of people just don't understand pain meds. If I tell someone that I'm on pain meds the first thing they say is ,that can't be good for you to take everyday. I just say it is better then the bad pain. I don't think their is a pain med that takes all the pain away ,but taking the edge off of it is worth it to me. I will take your advise and I appreciate it so much. Thanks again Brian..... Your wonderful...Laurie R

Donna M on 6/07/01 at 23:39 (050225)

Yes, I agree with y'all, Brian keep up the good work!
Laurie what you said is so true, most people don't understand pain medicine. Also a lot of people think you are 'weak' if you take it.
SteveP, my sister committed suicide on Easter 1999, from being in so much pain. So I know where you are coming from.
Again, Brian, thanks for the kind words of encouragement to everyone and letting them know that some or most of their pain can be helped!