Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

whadda place

Posted by Mary De on 6/07/01 at 14:59 (050168)

Well, I've done it again. I only meant to check in at blessed heelspurs.com for a few minutes, but ... 2 hours later, I've downloaded some 123 pages of info to read in depth, later. Read the success stories (so few! oh, it's new). Discovered the orthotics section (where most of that 123 pages is from). Have new questions to call up and pester my podiatrist about.

I have a small business to run, a house I'm building which I'm supposed to move into by end of month, volunteer environmental work, a house and garden to care for, etc, etc, etc. But at least my feet hurt a bit less now, following you'all's advice. And hey, I got to learn about Scott R's prediliction for feminine ears (softly, hon, softly, softly). Obviously the past couple hours have been time well spent!

Thanks for the site -- it's great.

best, Mary De

Re: whadda place

Scott R on 6/07/01 at 19:02 (050187)

i didn't know i had a section devoted to orthotics. i just spent an hour saying how great this handheld pc is, cracking alabama jokes, and discussing at serious length the internet, biotechnology, nantech, quantuum computing, artificial intelligence, and how these things will make people irrelevant and why global warming is fantastic for the environment but terrible for humans (it will raise the temp, CO2, and H2O which plants love). but it was all lost when i hit the wrong button and lost my text. on my regular pc hitting back would have regained it but not on this handheld.

Why keep the carbon locked up in fossil fuels when life loves it? My thesis is that our great grandchildren will be machine-based and fantastically fast and powerful. Not that i don't like people, it's just that when these machines our grandchildren or great grandchildren build start reading and comprehending all humanity has ever written within a few minutes of being plugged in by a solar cell and fiber optic, they will come to the conclusion that humans are just plain messy and slow. infinitely slow. with control of the digital medium, the machines will be able to mimic people too well so that it isn't really necessary to replace them with nanotech because they are so easily manipulated by super-intelligent propaganda. i mean isn't consciousness largely just the difference between where you are and where you want to be, i.e. the error function in a negative feedback loop, Steve P? Is the conscious part of learning just back-propagating like in an artificial neural net in order to change the gain function in the frontal cortex? Isn't that part only 5 or so neuron layers deep? The temporal lobes would be where the error function is measured (i.e. the place where we assign subjective value to the data coming in from the ears, eyes, skin, etc. before sending it to the frontal lobe). So if the error measured got better as a result of the output and actions from the frontal lobe than the temporal lobe would have to pass along to the frontal lobe on the next pass that the input is getting better and somehow the frontal lobe would remember what action resulted in the decreased error as opposed to true back-propagation.

Nancy N on 6/07/01 at 20:38 (050199)

Boy, Scott, do I hope you're right about this applying to our great grandchildren. Maybe I've seen too much Doctor Who and Star Trek, but I sure hope I'm not around to see it.

scott r on 6/07/01 at 20:55 (050203)

oh, sorry, i just noticed i changed the topic because i don't understand most of what they say about orthotics and i wonder if it's just plain hooey. not present company, but just stuff i've read in books, email newsletters, and web pages.

the relative strength of small things increases as they decrease in size because the amount of tension and contraction that can be successfully endured in a support member of a structure depends on the cross-sectional area (m^2) of that member whereas the weight it has to endure depends on the volume being supported (m^3) so that as something gets smaller the weight it has to support decreases as a cube function (m^3) but the strength of it's supporting structures decreases more slowly because it's a square funtion (m^2). something 1000 times smaller (say a flea verses a human) can withstand and endure forces (relative to its size) that are 1000 times stronger.

likewise, acceleration experienced as a result of a force applied to a volume (m^3) of constant density is much much faster relative to the object's size because the weight decreased with the volume which is a cubic function whereas acceleration is liner (m/s^2). so an object 1000 times smaller in one dimension is 1,000,000,000 times lighter and can accelerate the same (relative to its size) with a force 1,000,000,000,000 times smaller (f=ma=M/1,000,000,000*A/1,000=F/1,000,000,000,000). The limiting factor for acceleration will probably be the force applied as in a flea's legs unless an outside force is acquired. The muscle volume in a flea's legs is also decreasing as a cubic function so that we are left with an energy available for launch that is 1,000,000,000 smaller assuming insect and mammal energy density per volume of muscle mass is comparable. Force times distance gives that energy and a flea has 1,000 times less distance to apply that force to get that energy, so that the force available to the flea is 1,000,000 times smaller. actually i could have just said the energy available decreases as the mass decreases (indubitably cubically) so that there is no net change in jumping distance. indeed, i cannot jump much further than a flea unless i get a cheating running start. since he's shorter by a factor of about 1000 (like our Alabama roaches - palmetto bugs if you want to get technical about those creatures who ate half of one of my grapes one night, our Alabama fleas are very healthy, up to 2 mm long, taking after our grease-fed fat bubba brethren who get up to 2 m wide) they are jumping 1000 times our distance relative to their size. i've studied this carefully because it used to be every time i dropped cereal on the counter and didn't clean it up, entering my kitchen later that night would be like disturbing a large family at the dinner table. luckily, mike told stephanie told rosemary told me that the boric acid pills would (and they did) end the ongoing fued betwixt meself mycat and myroaches. my cat is involved because they would attempt to drag her dried food up into my kitchen cabinets. i discovered this after hearing single pieces of cat food being dropped in the kitchen while petting my cat in my den. i wonder if many people have made such fine and shocking discoveries. being the scientist that i am, it became apparent after some experiementation that the bastards couldn't lift the star-shaped morsels of friskies over the edge of the baseboard where their doorway led into my cabinet.

this is what happens when one has no meaning in life and drinks too much warm zima in a motel room on a full stomach. at least i was able to brighten the evening of an aging woman behind the counter when i checked in by remarking that she was the first white woman i'd seen behind the counter at this, my mobile haunt.

wendyn on 6/07/01 at 22:23 (050213)

Scott - too much caffiene again?

WHAASSSUUUUP?

I have no idea what you said - but I'm sure if I could understand it, I would find it most fascinating.

What is Zima?

Where is mobil?

Are there really no white people there?

JudyS on 6/07/01 at 23:04 (050219)

Hey everybody - let's forget the trip to Dr. Z's and have him and Denise come join us all at Scott's house instead so we can all smoke whatever Scott's smoking......:) or - could it be? - are you IN LOVE, Scott? :)

JudyS on 6/07/01 at 23:05 (050220)

Good to see you here, Mary De - tell us more about the house you're building....

DeniseA on 6/07/01 at 23:22 (050222)

Ooooohhh, Zima! That explains it.

Denise

Re: whadda place/WOW

Donna M. on 6/07/01 at 23:29 (050223)

I'm with you Judy and Wendy!! He's smokin' something!! He's getting so deep we'll need a ladder!! :)
I think Zima is beer, but what else he's had is a mystery!!
Maybe it's ScottR/Mr.Hyde!! LOL

Re: Space and Time, Energy and Mass

Bob G. on 6/08/01 at 02:57 (050233)

You'll understand it all at that point in time...obviously we are all a part of a smaller thing, for if not, we'd all understand. The earth rotates on its axis, we don't feel a thing. The earth travels around the sun about 20 miles a second, we don't feel a thing. The solar system rotates around the galaxy, we still don't feel a thing. If this were to continue, you'd think we'd eventually be going fast enough to obtain nirvana, oblivian to care, pain, or external reality.

Obviously we are still a part of a smaller thing; we still experience heel pain.

scott r on 6/08/01 at 07:08 (050238)

oh, there are plenty of white people here and in most places in alabama, but some companies like motel 6 and mcdonalds don't hire the white people, so i can go all day without seeing one.

mobile is in south alabama. it's my favorite port city in alabama.

Stephanie S. on 6/08/01 at 09:22 (050256)

I understood Mobile to have a certain 'smell' to it....

Richard, C.Ped on 6/08/01 at 09:31 (050257)

Someone recently asked if this was the real Scott Roberts. I think it is the Bizarro Scott that has taken over heelspurs.com. That is just my opinion though.

Richard

john h on 6/09/01 at 09:19 (050325)

cats are the only thing i know of that achieve Nirvana!

Scott R on 6/09/01 at 09:40 (050327)

All things are in nirvana all the time. They just don't know it.

Julie on 6/09/01 at 15:45 (050345)

That's right, Scott.

Re: Description of Nirvana.....

JudyS on 6/11/01 at 10:31 (050445)

Nirvana = spring, my front yard, birds, shade tree, lounge chair, kitty at feet, margarita or diet coke in hand (if diet coke, then Pringles, if margarita, then nachos...), trashy novel, hubby in the next lounge chair.... Life is good.

Re: Global warming, house building, and footsies

Mary De on 6/13/01 at 13:48 (050624)

Scott, being rather fond of people (at least individually and personally), I have to say that global warming is going to be pretty tough on our species -- and many othI personally do not want a future filled with machines. But I digress.

Judy S, I'm building a yurt out in the countryside of northern California. It's solar/wind powered, recycled materials, and so on. Sadly, I was ripped off for thousands of dollars by the original yurt manufacturer I contracted with (law suit in progress), so I'm now about 8 months behind schedule and hugely over budget, repairing what the first co. screwed up. But it's finally coming together, and I'm moving in end of the month. Yesterday I was out on site for just five hours, trying to take it easy on the feet -- but there's so much I have to finish, right now! This morning my right foot REALLY hurts again. So I'm procrastinating by checking in at good old heelspurs.com while icing. My hand/wrist tendonitis is acting up, too. Dammit!

Middle age itself isn't bad. It's my body falling apart that's horrible. If it's this bad in my forties, what will my seventies be like?

But that path leads to madness (or at least depression), and I can't afford that at the moment. So a bit more cold, a bit more ginger -- maybe I'll even break down and take an ibuprophen. Then it's out on the front lines. Wish me luck.

best, Mary De

Scott R on 6/07/01 at 19:02 (050187)

i didn't know i had a section devoted to orthotics. i just spent an hour saying how great this handheld pc is, cracking alabama jokes, and discussing at serious length the internet, biotechnology, nantech, quantuum computing, artificial intelligence, and how these things will make people irrelevant and why global warming is fantastic for the environment but terrible for humans (it will raise the temp, CO2, and H2O which plants love). but it was all lost when i hit the wrong button and lost my text. on my regular pc hitting back would have regained it but not on this handheld.

Why keep the carbon locked up in fossil fuels when life loves it? My thesis is that our great grandchildren will be machine-based and fantastically fast and powerful. Not that i don't like people, it's just that when these machines our grandchildren or great grandchildren build start reading and comprehending all humanity has ever written within a few minutes of being plugged in by a solar cell and fiber optic, they will come to the conclusion that humans are just plain messy and slow. infinitely slow. with control of the digital medium, the machines will be able to mimic people too well so that it isn't really necessary to replace them with nanotech because they are so easily manipulated by super-intelligent propaganda. i mean isn't consciousness largely just the difference between where you are and where you want to be, i.e. the error function in a negative feedback loop, Steve P? Is the conscious part of learning just back-propagating like in an artificial neural net in order to change the gain function in the frontal cortex? Isn't that part only 5 or so neuron layers deep? The temporal lobes would be where the error function is measured (i.e. the place where we assign subjective value to the data coming in from the ears, eyes, skin, etc. before sending it to the frontal lobe). So if the error measured got better as a result of the output and actions from the frontal lobe than the temporal lobe would have to pass along to the frontal lobe on the next pass that the input is getting better and somehow the frontal lobe would remember what action resulted in the decreased error as opposed to true back-propagation.

Nancy N on 6/07/01 at 20:38 (050199)

Boy, Scott, do I hope you're right about this applying to our great grandchildren. Maybe I've seen too much Doctor Who and Star Trek, but I sure hope I'm not around to see it.

scott r on 6/07/01 at 20:55 (050203)

oh, sorry, i just noticed i changed the topic because i don't understand most of what they say about orthotics and i wonder if it's just plain hooey. not present company, but just stuff i've read in books, email newsletters, and web pages.

the relative strength of small things increases as they decrease in size because the amount of tension and contraction that can be successfully endured in a support member of a structure depends on the cross-sectional area (m^2) of that member whereas the weight it has to endure depends on the volume being supported (m^3) so that as something gets smaller the weight it has to support decreases as a cube function (m^3) but the strength of it's supporting structures decreases more slowly because it's a square funtion (m^2). something 1000 times smaller (say a flea verses a human) can withstand and endure forces (relative to its size) that are 1000 times stronger.

likewise, acceleration experienced as a result of a force applied to a volume (m^3) of constant density is much much faster relative to the object's size because the weight decreased with the volume which is a cubic function whereas acceleration is liner (m/s^2). so an object 1000 times smaller in one dimension is 1,000,000,000 times lighter and can accelerate the same (relative to its size) with a force 1,000,000,000,000 times smaller (f=ma=M/1,000,000,000*A/1,000=F/1,000,000,000,000). The limiting factor for acceleration will probably be the force applied as in a flea's legs unless an outside force is acquired. The muscle volume in a flea's legs is also decreasing as a cubic function so that we are left with an energy available for launch that is 1,000,000,000 smaller assuming insect and mammal energy density per volume of muscle mass is comparable. Force times distance gives that energy and a flea has 1,000 times less distance to apply that force to get that energy, so that the force available to the flea is 1,000,000 times smaller. actually i could have just said the energy available decreases as the mass decreases (indubitably cubically) so that there is no net change in jumping distance. indeed, i cannot jump much further than a flea unless i get a cheating running start. since he's shorter by a factor of about 1000 (like our Alabama roaches - palmetto bugs if you want to get technical about those creatures who ate half of one of my grapes one night, our Alabama fleas are very healthy, up to 2 mm long, taking after our grease-fed fat bubba brethren who get up to 2 m wide) they are jumping 1000 times our distance relative to their size. i've studied this carefully because it used to be every time i dropped cereal on the counter and didn't clean it up, entering my kitchen later that night would be like disturbing a large family at the dinner table. luckily, mike told stephanie told rosemary told me that the boric acid pills would (and they did) end the ongoing fued betwixt meself mycat and myroaches. my cat is involved because they would attempt to drag her dried food up into my kitchen cabinets. i discovered this after hearing single pieces of cat food being dropped in the kitchen while petting my cat in my den. i wonder if many people have made such fine and shocking discoveries. being the scientist that i am, it became apparent after some experiementation that the bastards couldn't lift the star-shaped morsels of friskies over the edge of the baseboard where their doorway led into my cabinet.

this is what happens when one has no meaning in life and drinks too much warm zima in a motel room on a full stomach. at least i was able to brighten the evening of an aging woman behind the counter when i checked in by remarking that she was the first white woman i'd seen behind the counter at this, my mobile haunt.

wendyn on 6/07/01 at 22:23 (050213)

Scott - too much caffiene again?

WHAASSSUUUUP?

I have no idea what you said - but I'm sure if I could understand it, I would find it most fascinating.

What is Zima?

Where is mobil?

Are there really no white people there?

JudyS on 6/07/01 at 23:04 (050219)

Hey everybody - let's forget the trip to Dr. Z's and have him and Denise come join us all at Scott's house instead so we can all smoke whatever Scott's smoking......:) or - could it be? - are you IN LOVE, Scott? :)

JudyS on 6/07/01 at 23:05 (050220)

Good to see you here, Mary De - tell us more about the house you're building....

DeniseA on 6/07/01 at 23:22 (050222)

Ooooohhh, Zima! That explains it.

Denise

Re: whadda place/WOW

Donna M. on 6/07/01 at 23:29 (050223)

I'm with you Judy and Wendy!! He's smokin' something!! He's getting so deep we'll need a ladder!! :)
I think Zima is beer, but what else he's had is a mystery!!
Maybe it's ScottR/Mr.Hyde!! LOL

Bob G. on 6/08/01 at 02:57 (050233)

You'll understand it all at that point in time...obviously we are all a part of a smaller thing, for if not, we'd all understand. The earth rotates on its axis, we don't feel a thing. The earth travels around the sun about 20 miles a second, we don't feel a thing. The solar system rotates around the galaxy, we still don't feel a thing. If this were to continue, you'd think we'd eventually be going fast enough to obtain nirvana, oblivian to care, pain, or external reality.

Obviously we are still a part of a smaller thing; we still experience heel pain.

scott r on 6/08/01 at 07:08 (050238)

oh, there are plenty of white people here and in most places in alabama, but some companies like motel 6 and mcdonalds don't hire the white people, so i can go all day without seeing one.

mobile is in south alabama. it's my favorite port city in alabama.

Stephanie S. on 6/08/01 at 09:22 (050256)

I understood Mobile to have a certain 'smell' to it....

Richard, C.Ped on 6/08/01 at 09:31 (050257)

Someone recently asked if this was the real Scott Roberts. I think it is the Bizarro Scott that has taken over heelspurs.com. That is just my opinion though.

Richard

john h on 6/09/01 at 09:19 (050325)

cats are the only thing i know of that achieve Nirvana!

Scott R on 6/09/01 at 09:40 (050327)

All things are in nirvana all the time. They just don't know it.

Julie on 6/09/01 at 15:45 (050345)

That's right, Scott.

Re: Description of Nirvana.....

JudyS on 6/11/01 at 10:31 (050445)

Nirvana = spring, my front yard, birds, shade tree, lounge chair, kitty at feet, margarita or diet coke in hand (if diet coke, then Pringles, if margarita, then nachos...), trashy novel, hubby in the next lounge chair.... Life is good.

Re: Global warming, house building, and footsies

Mary De on 6/13/01 at 13:48 (050624)

Scott, being rather fond of people (at least individually and personally), I have to say that global warming is going to be pretty tough on our species -- and many othI personally do not want a future filled with machines. But I digress.

Judy S, I'm building a yurt out in the countryside of northern California. It's solar/wind powered, recycled materials, and so on. Sadly, I was ripped off for thousands of dollars by the original yurt manufacturer I contracted with (law suit in progress), so I'm now about 8 months behind schedule and hugely over budget, repairing what the first co. screwed up. But it's finally coming together, and I'm moving in end of the month. Yesterday I was out on site for just five hours, trying to take it easy on the feet -- but there's so much I have to finish, right now! This morning my right foot REALLY hurts again. So I'm procrastinating by checking in at good old heelspurs.com while icing. My hand/wrist tendonitis is acting up, too. Dammit!

Middle age itself isn't bad. It's my body falling apart that's horrible. If it's this bad in my forties, what will my seventies be like?

But that path leads to madness (or at least depression), and I can't afford that at the moment. So a bit more cold, a bit more ginger -- maybe I'll even break down and take an ibuprophen. Then it's out on the front lines. Wish me luck.

best, Mary De