Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Radiation therapy for heel spurs

Posted by Elaine K. on 6/07/01 at hrmin (050180)

What information is available on radiation therapy for treatment of heel spurs. I have an appointment with a radiation dr. for consultation. What kind of questions should I ask? What if any side effects can be expected? If there is a web site you recommend my primary doctor would like the information.

Re: Radiation therapy for heel spurs

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/07/01 at 19:03 (050189)

If you are talking about x-ray radiation then this is very very bad. This isn't a safe procedure. Very Very dangerous.

john h on 6/09/01 at 09:17 (050323)

dr z when i was a young boy many shoe stores had x-ray machines/flouroscopes that you stood up and put your feet in to see how your shoes fit. now that was real smart. kids like to do it just for fun to see their bones wiggle in their toes and feet..

elaineK on 6/10/01 at 12:27 (050388)

How is it dangerous? Do you have information about it?

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/10/01 at 12:29 (050389)

I don't think it is even allowed to be used any more. Where are you going to have this done. I you sure it is x-ray radiation you are talking about.

wendyn on 6/10/01 at 15:26 (050401)

Elaine - radiation is known to be dangerous. That's why they use it to try to kill cancer tumors. That's why you wear a big lead apron when you get xrays at the dentist. It's also why you don't have xrays when you're pregnant.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/10/01 at 16:52 (050407)

Couldn't of anwwered any better. Thanks for the additonal pointing out !!!!

john h on 6/11/01 at 09:24 (050433)

having worked around powerful aircraft radar for many years i can assure you radiation is very dangerous. x-ray techs,and radiologist, and many other people wear docimeters to measure the amount of radiation they are receiving as it is 'ACCUMULATIVE' over time and in itself can cause cancer. people who work around radiation have a higher incidence of cancer. As you know the sun is a form of radiation which causes skin cancer. people receiving radiation for cancer suffer radiation sickness. i have never heard of treating any foot ailment with radiation.

ElaineK on 7/02/01 at hrmin (052095)

I went to the doctor and got all my questions answered. They use a very small amount of radiation for a total dose of less than 10% of what they use for cancers. The ideal behind it is that the radiation kills the growing bone cells in your heel that keeps it growing. By decreasing the constant irritation of the spur growing on the local tendons and ligaments it decreases the pain. There is a 70% to 80% success rate with no pain. I even talked to several women who have had it done, they no longer have the pain. There is not side effects. The doctor said once in awhile someone might complain of their feet being sensitive (like a sunburn) after the first week. I have started the therapy, and it is painfree. The doctor said it would generally take about 3 weeks to notice a change.

wendyn on 7/02/01 at 22:41 (052098)

Elaine - what type of doctor are you seeing?

Julie on 7/03/01 at 03:09 (052117)

Elaine, I'm sorry, and I probably oughtn't to say this as you've started the treatment, but even 10% of what's used for cancer is an awful lot of radiation. Heel pain isn't life-threatening, after all.

In most cases of heel pain, it isn't the spur that causes the pain, so there may be no point in stopping its growth. And even in the relatively few (I believe) cases where it IS digging into tissue, and where diminishing it could diminish the pain, it sounds like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Still, if you're proceeding with the therapy, I hope it will help you.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/07/01 at 19:03 (050189)

If you are talking about x-ray radiation then this is very very bad. This isn't a safe procedure. Very Very dangerous.

john h on 6/09/01 at 09:17 (050323)

dr z when i was a young boy many shoe stores had x-ray machines/flouroscopes that you stood up and put your feet in to see how your shoes fit. now that was real smart. kids like to do it just for fun to see their bones wiggle in their toes and feet..

elaineK on 6/10/01 at 12:27 (050388)

How is it dangerous? Do you have information about it?

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/10/01 at 12:29 (050389)

I don't think it is even allowed to be used any more. Where are you going to have this done. I you sure it is x-ray radiation you are talking about.

wendyn on 6/10/01 at 15:26 (050401)

Elaine - radiation is known to be dangerous. That's why they use it to try to kill cancer tumors. That's why you wear a big lead apron when you get xrays at the dentist. It's also why you don't have xrays when you're pregnant.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/10/01 at 16:52 (050407)

Couldn't of anwwered any better. Thanks for the additonal pointing out !!!!

john h on 6/11/01 at 09:24 (050433)

having worked around powerful aircraft radar for many years i can assure you radiation is very dangerous. x-ray techs,and radiologist, and many other people wear docimeters to measure the amount of radiation they are receiving as it is 'ACCUMULATIVE' over time and in itself can cause cancer. people who work around radiation have a higher incidence of cancer. As you know the sun is a form of radiation which causes skin cancer. people receiving radiation for cancer suffer radiation sickness. i have never heard of treating any foot ailment with radiation.

ElaineK on 7/02/01 at hrmin (052095)

I went to the doctor and got all my questions answered. They use a very small amount of radiation for a total dose of less than 10% of what they use for cancers. The ideal behind it is that the radiation kills the growing bone cells in your heel that keeps it growing. By decreasing the constant irritation of the spur growing on the local tendons and ligaments it decreases the pain. There is a 70% to 80% success rate with no pain. I even talked to several women who have had it done, they no longer have the pain. There is not side effects. The doctor said once in awhile someone might complain of their feet being sensitive (like a sunburn) after the first week. I have started the therapy, and it is painfree. The doctor said it would generally take about 3 weeks to notice a change.

wendyn on 7/02/01 at 22:41 (052098)

Elaine - what type of doctor are you seeing?

Julie on 7/03/01 at 03:09 (052117)

Elaine, I'm sorry, and I probably oughtn't to say this as you've started the treatment, but even 10% of what's used for cancer is an awful lot of radiation. Heel pain isn't life-threatening, after all.

In most cases of heel pain, it isn't the spur that causes the pain, so there may be no point in stopping its growth. And even in the relatively few (I believe) cases where it IS digging into tissue, and where diminishing it could diminish the pain, it sounds like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Still, if you're proceeding with the therapy, I hope it will help you.