Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel pain

Posted by melody on 6/07/01 at hrmin (050185)

i have a question about this heel pain i have had for 2 months... it is in the middle of the heel.. it first started by feeling like i stepped on a marble but has progressivly gotten worse!!! nothing helps and it is worse in the morning and if i stay off it for a few hours then go to walk again it is extremely painful... i am also having periodic tingling in my second toe on the same foot.. i had a cyst in one of my heels 20 years ago and it was caused by a lot of bee stingers that were never removed when i was a child.. over some time i guess it formed the cyst... the reason i mention this because from what i remember i had similar pain as this but not as intense... i also rushed to the doctor alot faster back then... could a cyst grow back ???? right after it was removed it was insant relief.. i mean after 2 or 3 days of healing.. nothing like weeks or months. woud the plantar fatasus cause tingling in some of the toes??? thanks for your opionio....

Re: heel pain

DR. Biehler on 6/07/01 at 20:37 (050198)

You probably will start with an x-ray. It could be a bone bruse and a bursitis. The tingling in the toe might be from the change in the way you walk do to the heel pain. Dr. B.

Re: tingling in toes

Scott R on 6/07/01 at 21:07 (050204)

Dr. B, i have heard many visitors talk about tingling in the toes. i have experienced it myself. i am convinced it is due to some sort of pressure or injury on the nerves in the heel if only by inflammation, or a result of surgery damage to those nerves. relieving my inflammation relieved the tingling in my big toe.

Dr. Biehler on 6/08/01 at 08:33 (050252)

Your right, tingling implies some kind of nerve compression. The cause and how temporary it is, is what is important. Dr. B.

JudyS on 6/08/01 at 12:17 (050271)

Scott, are you back? Or is this the alien Scott who took the real Scott away and has gotten a better handle on his personality? If this is the alien Scott - just go ahead and be yourself, you're tons of fun! Which is not to say that the real Scott is not tons of fun. On the other hand, if you check out the real Scott's (or was THAT the alien Scott?) post regarding the universe, then you'll see that he has his moments.....
On the other hand, maybe that WAS the alien Scott.....what else would an alien Scott talk about? I confess though, that I've fallen completely for the Romantic Scott.....the one who nibbles on ladies ears....

Janice-Lynn on 6/08/01 at hrmin (050282)

Hello, doctor. I recognized a pinching feeling in the back of my heel recently. It only hurts when I all my weight on my heel. Most of the day I'm in heels so I don't feel it. I don't remember spraining it or pulling a muscle unusually-I am a dancer-so I usually get the stretching exercise I need.I looked up the symptoms for spurs, and nothing seems to be protruding from any portion of my heel. I feel no bumps anywhere on my foot.The pain only comes from the back curve of my left heel when I'm barefooted.Some background on that heel would be I went to the emergency room to have a large splinter removed last summer..The doctor did take x-rays to makke sure it was removed entirely.

I guess I'm asking what it could be, and what I could do to relieve whatever irritation is occurring inside my heel.Thank-you!

Dr Zuckerman on 6/08/01 at 13:45 (050284)

Hi,

When you are in heels all day long the Achilles Tendon which connects to the back of your heel is in a shortned position. Well take off the shoe and the tendon then is still short and you just placed your foot down on the floor which pulls the tendon. Always wearing heels is bad . It places the tendon in a shortened postion.

My advice can you wear different height of high heels. Must you wear heels when dancing. ???

Dr. Biehler on 6/08/01 at 16:12 (050289)

I agree with everything Dr. Z. said. Also I wanted to mention that wood tends to blend in with soft tissue and can be very difficult to detect, especialy after a period of time. Dr. B.

DR. Biehler on 6/07/01 at 20:37 (050198)

You probably will start with an x-ray. It could be a bone bruse and a bursitis. The tingling in the toe might be from the change in the way you walk do to the heel pain. Dr. B.

Scott R on 6/07/01 at 21:07 (050204)

Dr. B, i have heard many visitors talk about tingling in the toes. i have experienced it myself. i am convinced it is due to some sort of pressure or injury on the nerves in the heel if only by inflammation, or a result of surgery damage to those nerves. relieving my inflammation relieved the tingling in my big toe.

Dr. Biehler on 6/08/01 at 08:33 (050252)

Your right, tingling implies some kind of nerve compression. The cause and how temporary it is, is what is important. Dr. B.

JudyS on 6/08/01 at 12:17 (050271)

Scott, are you back? Or is this the alien Scott who took the real Scott away and has gotten a better handle on his personality? If this is the alien Scott - just go ahead and be yourself, you're tons of fun! Which is not to say that the real Scott is not tons of fun. On the other hand, if you check out the real Scott's (or was THAT the alien Scott?) post regarding the universe, then you'll see that he has his moments.....
On the other hand, maybe that WAS the alien Scott.....what else would an alien Scott talk about? I confess though, that I've fallen completely for the Romantic Scott.....the one who nibbles on ladies ears....

Janice-Lynn on 6/08/01 at hrmin (050282)

Hello, doctor. I recognized a pinching feeling in the back of my heel recently. It only hurts when I all my weight on my heel. Most of the day I'm in heels so I don't feel it. I don't remember spraining it or pulling a muscle unusually-I am a dancer-so I usually get the stretching exercise I need.I looked up the symptoms for spurs, and nothing seems to be protruding from any portion of my heel. I feel no bumps anywhere on my foot.The pain only comes from the back curve of my left heel when I'm barefooted.Some background on that heel would be I went to the emergency room to have a large splinter removed last summer..The doctor did take x-rays to makke sure it was removed entirely.

I guess I'm asking what it could be, and what I could do to relieve whatever irritation is occurring inside my heel.Thank-you!

Dr Zuckerman on 6/08/01 at 13:45 (050284)

Hi,

When you are in heels all day long the Achilles Tendon which connects to the back of your heel is in a shortned position. Well take off the shoe and the tendon then is still short and you just placed your foot down on the floor which pulls the tendon. Always wearing heels is bad . It places the tendon in a shortened postion.

My advice can you wear different height of high heels. Must you wear heels when dancing. ???

Dr. Biehler on 6/08/01 at 16:12 (050289)

I agree with everything Dr. Z. said. Also I wanted to mention that wood tends to blend in with soft tissue and can be very difficult to detect, especialy after a period of time. Dr. B.