Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Thanks for your replies

Posted by Fuss budget on 6/08/01 at 13:21 (050281)

I just really want to say Thank You to everybody for their support on this board. I haven't been in a very good mental state and I posted a couple days ago from that pathetic state of mind that pain drives you to. I was surprised at how many supportive, really kind and understanding replies I got. I don't think there are many other boards like this out there. It's sort of weird how it's the Internet and yet because we all have this condition in common, it's not really like talking to a bunch of strangers. In many ways, I can better relate to you all that I can to the people in my day-to-day life because our life experience is more in sync.

I had one of those days yesterday where I was out at about with some co-workers (you know, those people who can still walk?). They suggested we go to a place 'next-door '. I forget that I have my friends pretty well-trained. When my friends say next-door, they really mean next-door because they have really come to learn my limits over the last couple years. My co-workers really meant 'two blocks from here 'when they said 'next-door ' . Unknowingly, I set off to go with them, got half way, couldn't go back to my car and couldn't go forward to get to our destination (there I was, sitting on the curb as we all do). They all have this confused pathetic look on their faces because they didn't realize when I say I'm disabled, I mean I'm disabled. They give us those placards because we really can't walk_not because it's more convenient for us. Anyway, I told them to go on ahead and I'd meet them there when I could get there or I'd just walk back to my car when I could do that and I might just take off. Mostly, I just didn't want them standing over me with that pathetic look people give you when they realize you're disabled. Then, they feel guilty and awkward for not having realized it in advance so they insist on standing over you. They don't realize that you might be sitting there for a good hour before you can get up again. They think that since you're sitting down, you just need a minute or two before you can go on. They don't realize (and who can blame them) that I'd have to sit and rest for half a day to walk another block. It really makes for and awkward situation.

Anyway, just another silly experience in our screwed up little world I thought I'd share for laughs. I'm sure you all been there so I'm sure you can see how ridiculous it must look.

Re: Thanks for your replies

BrianG on 6/08/01 at 18:32 (050295)

Hi F Budge,

I did send you some e-mail. I had another thought while reading this post. Are you taping your feet? If not I think you should give it a chance. I've been doing it for a few weeks now, and it does seem to give me some additional relief.

If I'm going to have a big day, like when I went fishing on Saturday, I'll fully tape them like the Pod taught me. For just every day work taping, I use the 2 strips across the bottom of the feet. Buy good tape, you don't want it stretching out too fast during the morning. Oh, I take it off every night to give my feet a break. My feet hurt so bad after fishing on Sat. I couldn't tape for 3 days, bad deal.

Good luck
BCG

PS Bummer about the drinks, sounds like you could have used one!

Re: Thanks for your replies

BrianG on 6/08/01 at 18:32 (050295)

Hi F Budge,

I did send you some e-mail. I had another thought while reading this post. Are you taping your feet? If not I think you should give it a chance. I've been doing it for a few weeks now, and it does seem to give me some additional relief.

If I'm going to have a big day, like when I went fishing on Saturday, I'll fully tape them like the Pod taught me. For just every day work taping, I use the 2 strips across the bottom of the feet. Buy good tape, you don't want it stretching out too fast during the morning. Oh, I take it off every night to give my feet a break. My feet hurt so bad after fishing on Sat. I couldn't tape for 3 days, bad deal.

Good luck
BCG

PS Bummer about the drinks, sounds like you could have used one!