Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Sorry this is long, please read, thanks

Posted by Arn on 6/08/01 at 16:19 (050290)

What is going on with me ???????????

Symptoms:

Burning is in my arch area. All along it. (Not my toes nor my heels) I think it started when I started 4 years ago when I changed jobs and went from sitting all day to standing all day. But it didn't start to hurt until the arch area started to touch the arch area in the shoes. I thought ( and at this point might be leaning to the possibility that my arches are super sensitive) and when my shoes broke down in the heel area my arches came in contact with the shoe arch. I have gone from 250 lbs down to 180 so the shoes are holding up better not to mention my feet. Now that I have arch supports being diagnosed with pf and cavus feet. They burn and are numb all the time. Feet get to the point they feel like they will explode. I have worn gel, cork etc. Because I have high arches my arches have never had anything ever touch them all their life. Now they seem to be carrying most of the weight. Seems that way anyway because they are extra sensitive.

No pain right now. (Unless you count the burning/numbness, that hurts) I have torn my fascia pushing broken down cars before and I know what that pain is all about. However I do possibly believe I torn it because I had arch supports in and that cause my fascia to pull. Not sure?

I have 4 pair of new balance shoes. 859's I have tried good hiking boots and Brick's.

The pair of custom orthodics I'm wearing now are 3/4 in length. Hard leather surface, made of blue plastic. They have about a 1/4 inch block flat block under the heel for stability. They feel reel good on my heels but not on of course my arches. Nothing does. I was a bit disappointed when I got them. Look cheap too.

I have tried just taping. I don't know if I stuck with it long enough. I did it thru 2 rolls of tape then quit. I need to get more tape. It did help my the burning less. Seem to give a little protection to arches. I have been thinking about trying other materials.

I have tried OTC orthotics. They are worse on the arch irritation. Spenco's etc.

At present I'm on my feet about an hour a day.

Treatments:
Standard blood work done last physical
x-ray's
injections 2 this year
anti inflammatory, don't remember the name. 2 years ago
orthodics custom and over the counter
New Balance, 4 pair I rotate
Taping, Helps
Non weight stretches 3 times a day
Ice 4 to 5 times a day. Mainly to calm the burning
800mg Advil every 4 hours. Never on empty stomach and I drink at least a gallon of water a day
Tried golf ball, set me back
Neurontin, I'm on 600mg a day. Only 2 days on it so don't know if it will help.

Thanks so much

Arn

Re: Sorry this is long, please read, thanks

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/08/01 at 16:37 (050292)

Hi,

Sorry that the burning is so bad. You need to have an EMG/NC studies done to rule out TTS and or lower back nerve involvment.

Buring can be a sign of nerve entrapment. So without this testing very difficult to conclude if this is foot nerve problem or is it coming from your back.

Neurontin needs to be taking longer for any relief. Go it more time for this medication to work. Feel free to ask me any additinal questions you have

Re: Sorry this is long, please read, thanks

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/08/01 at 16:37 (050292)

Hi,

Sorry that the burning is so bad. You need to have an EMG/NC studies done to rule out TTS and or lower back nerve involvment.

Buring can be a sign of nerve entrapment. So without this testing very difficult to conclude if this is foot nerve problem or is it coming from your back.

Neurontin needs to be taking longer for any relief. Go it more time for this medication to work. Feel free to ask me any additinal questions you have