Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pretty sure I know what you that read this will say.

Posted by Arn on 6/08/01 at 22:03 (050304)

Hi,

Is it possible to have tts even if my pod is sure it's not? I have not been tested for it. He tapped and poked my ankles etc. Says no indication of it. I have allot of burning and numbness in my arch area. I'm on 600mg of Neurontin at present.

-Arn

Re: Pretty sure I know what you that read this will say.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 6/08/01 at 22:09 (050307)

If I were you I would go for a second opinion.

GinaC on 6/09/01 at 12:19 (050333)

I had the tapping test (for Tinel's sign I think), as well as poking around with no indication of TTS. Had a nerve conduction test and emg 3 weeks later and both feet tested positive for TTS. This really surprised me since the only 'nervelike' symptom I had was minor numbness in the toes of one foot. Hope the Neurontin helps you. Gina

Donna SL on 6/09/01 at 14:07 (050339)

Arn,

I didn't have a positve tinnel's sign either, yet tested positive, on a nerve conduction test. You want to diagnose, and treat the TTS, before it gets to the point of having a positive tinnel's sign. You can have nerve entrapment, or irritation that may not even show up on the test if it's not that progressed, and there no demyelination of the nerves yet. Most times this can be treated conservatively.

There's a more sensitive method for testing beginning nerve entrapment called Quantitative Sensory Testing (QST). If traditional testing doesn't pick this up, I would try to find someone who does QST. Some neurologist, and pods are familiar with this. Even if you don't have diabetes a neurologist who treats a lot of diabetics might be more familiar with QST, because they have a lot a small fiber neuropathies that are often missed with regular testing. The test is also painless.

There is a Dr. Dellon who has a web site, that has information on the subject.

http://www.dellon.com

Donna

Dr. Marlene Reid on 6/08/01 at 22:09 (050307)

If I were you I would go for a second opinion.

GinaC on 6/09/01 at 12:19 (050333)

I had the tapping test (for Tinel's sign I think), as well as poking around with no indication of TTS. Had a nerve conduction test and emg 3 weeks later and both feet tested positive for TTS. This really surprised me since the only 'nervelike' symptom I had was minor numbness in the toes of one foot. Hope the Neurontin helps you. Gina

Donna SL on 6/09/01 at 14:07 (050339)

Arn,

I didn't have a positve tinnel's sign either, yet tested positive, on a nerve conduction test. You want to diagnose, and treat the TTS, before it gets to the point of having a positive tinnel's sign. You can have nerve entrapment, or irritation that may not even show up on the test if it's not that progressed, and there no demyelination of the nerves yet. Most times this can be treated conservatively.

There's a more sensitive method for testing beginning nerve entrapment called Quantitative Sensory Testing (QST). If traditional testing doesn't pick this up, I would try to find someone who does QST. Some neurologist, and pods are familiar with this. Even if you don't have diabetes a neurologist who treats a lot of diabetics might be more familiar with QST, because they have a lot a small fiber neuropathies that are often missed with regular testing. The test is also painless.

There is a Dr. Dellon who has a web site, that has information on the subject.

http://www.dellon.com

Donna