Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ouch

Posted by Lynne T on 6/09/01 at 03:17 (050315)

I have heelspurs on the very back of my feet, I also have them under my feeet (platar fasciitis), but I have them on the very rear of my heel about an inch up from the sole of my foot. My podiatrist is recommending surgical removal as the best solution after wearing orthotics, icing and stretching exercises. Any comments.

Re: Ouch

Steve P on 6/09/01 at 09:38 (050326)

Hi Lynne ---

I suggest you re-post on the 'Ask The Foot Doctors' message board on this website. I believe they will advise against surgery for spur removal at present.

regards........Steve

Dr. Biehler on 6/09/01 at 16:46 (050349)

Lynne, ESWT has show to be very effective for the treatment of retrocalcanial heel spur. When its succesful you are able to forget about having to have surgery. Dr. B.

footpro on 6/16/01 at 08:54 (050825)

From my understanding, there are no clinical trials regrading the use of ESWT on retrocalcaneal exostosis or Haglunds deformity. There really should be. When I was going through the certification process for the Ossatron in Atlanta, I asked the physician about this very thing. He told me that he has tried ESWT on several patients with retrocalcaneal heel spurs and it has not worked that well. Do you have experience with ESWT for retrocalcaneal spurs? If so, how effective is it? What are your patients pain relief at 12 weeks? Also, how are you coding the diagnosis? We have only been using ESWT in our practice for 2 months. It has been a pain in the neck trying to get our patients precertification for the proceduer using the required documentation.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/16/01 at 17:41 (050858)

It is great for insertional achilles Tendonitis with or without calcification. The ossatron may not have the ability to reduce the power density or the joules/mm2/. We have patients over eighteen months post ESWT for this condition. This is really where ESWT shines over foot surgery. As far as haglunds not indicated

Steve P on 6/09/01 at 09:38 (050326)

Hi Lynne ---

I suggest you re-post on the 'Ask The Foot Doctors' message board on this website. I believe they will advise against surgery for spur removal at present.

regards........Steve

Dr. Biehler on 6/09/01 at 16:46 (050349)

Lynne, ESWT has show to be very effective for the treatment of retrocalcanial heel spur. When its succesful you are able to forget about having to have surgery. Dr. B.

footpro on 6/16/01 at 08:54 (050825)

From my understanding, there are no clinical trials regrading the use of ESWT on retrocalcaneal exostosis or Haglunds deformity. There really should be. When I was going through the certification process for the Ossatron in Atlanta, I asked the physician about this very thing. He told me that he has tried ESWT on several patients with retrocalcaneal heel spurs and it has not worked that well. Do you have experience with ESWT for retrocalcaneal spurs? If so, how effective is it? What are your patients pain relief at 12 weeks? Also, how are you coding the diagnosis? We have only been using ESWT in our practice for 2 months. It has been a pain in the neck trying to get our patients precertification for the proceduer using the required documentation.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/16/01 at 17:41 (050858)

It is great for insertional achilles Tendonitis with or without calcification. The ossatron may not have the ability to reduce the power density or the joules/mm2/. We have patients over eighteen months post ESWT for this condition. This is really where ESWT shines over foot surgery. As far as haglunds not indicated