Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Finally trying some orthodics that seem promising

Posted by Beverly on 6/09/01 at 19:51 (050355)

HI Richard and footgang,

After three previous attempts at orthodics (two I purchased and one that was so uncomfortable I declined)... the fourth try seems to be helpful! That is not to say that I am pain-free, but I can tolerate the orthodics. They are not digging so deep into my arches that I can't wait to remove them. I'm still challenged on finding a shoe that feels good with the orthodics. I finally took my high dollar athletic shoes (already in a men's wide) and cut a hole at the big toe and little toe. Although my feet are only an average width, when I stand up my feet (esp. at toes) spread out. Since getting PF, that has gotten gradually worse as my arch has started collasping.

My orthodist has ordered several pairs of orthopedic shoes to try (Drews and Ambulators). I'm hoping one of them will work. I felt confident enough about the Ambulators that I bought them. The orthodist is stretching them at the pressure point places at the toe area and also building up the heel.

It's hard to get out of my Birks, but I can see that having the orthodic and heel height of a real shoe helps my achilles tendonitis. It remains to be seen what it does for my feet.

Thanks for all your imput,
Beverly

Re: Finally trying some orthodics that seem promising

bg cped on 6/10/01 at 00:24 (050367)

If your orthotics and shoes are new and you had to cut holes in the toes you have a problem. First have your foot measured both heel to toe and arch length. Then examine your size that you had to cut. If it is ok in both length measurments go to same size but wider width. You can also ask your orthotist to thin out the end of the orthotics. What area do you live?

Beverly on 6/10/01 at 15:46 (050403)

Hi Bg Cped,

I'm in Texas, DFW area. Cutting the holes in my new athletic shoes was one last desperate attempt to be able to wear running shoes. The forefront part of my orthodics are quite thin. The problem is that my feet spread out so much (when weightbearing) that I have not been able to wear a running shoe for months. I've tried shoe after shoe... men's shoes... wide shoes. .. extra wide shoes. My foot only measures an AB width on the left and a BC on the right. Despite this, when I put on a pair of lace up shoes, no matter the width, my toes hurt. .. big toe and little toe get rubbed.

It's hard for me to separate how much of this is real, because my arch is gradually collapsing and foot spreading and how much of it is just not being used to wearing real shoes. I've been in Birkenstock sandals for almost a year and ahalf.

The Ambulators seem promising and so do some of the Drew extra depth shoes. My orthodist is stretching the Ambulators I got. He says they are easier to modify than most shoes. They are a wide width, and to go any wider, I'll walk out of the heel. Infact, I already have to lace them up extra tight and wear a thick sock to keep the heel from slipping.

My orthodist says that I am unusually wide at the mid-foot/toe area (when standing) but still fairly narrow at the heel.

Thanks for your info. It may be that I simply won't be able to wear regular lace up shoes and will have to learn to be happy with the orthopedic shoes.
Thanks,
Beverly

Re: One more question...

Beverly on 6/10/01 at 15:54 (050404)

Bg Cped,

Since you suggested having me measure my foot length and arch length, I have a question. I've been measured and measured... One foot is a women's size 9BC. The other is a women's size 9.5 AB. Until two years ago, I wore a womens 9A or 9B. Since developing PF, I've gradually gone up in size for closed toe shoes. I now wear a women's 11 wide! Yet my foot still measures, even when weightbearing about the same.
When I try to wear a smaller length, my big toe literally hits the end of the shoe! And I've tried lots of shoes. Yet with open toe sandals, my shoe size has only changed a little bit.
My orthodist says he has never seen so much difference in actual shoe size and what a foot measures. Yet, he agrees I can't take the smaller sizes.

So, have you ever seen this? He says my feet just spread out alot on toe off.
Thanks,
Beverly

bg cped on 6/11/01 at 14:06 (050460)

Have a good show store or Pedorthist measure your arch length. This is not the same as heel to toe and in some cases can be 2 sizes different. This is the distance from the back of your heel to the middle of your great mtp joint ( behind the big toe, where you get a bunion) see if it is different than your traditional heel to toe measurement of 9-91/2 let me know what you find out

bg cped on 6/10/01 at 00:24 (050367)

If your orthotics and shoes are new and you had to cut holes in the toes you have a problem. First have your foot measured both heel to toe and arch length. Then examine your size that you had to cut. If it is ok in both length measurments go to same size but wider width. You can also ask your orthotist to thin out the end of the orthotics. What area do you live?

Beverly on 6/10/01 at 15:46 (050403)

Hi Bg Cped,

I'm in Texas, DFW area. Cutting the holes in my new athletic shoes was one last desperate attempt to be able to wear running shoes. The forefront part of my orthodics are quite thin. The problem is that my feet spread out so much (when weightbearing) that I have not been able to wear a running shoe for months. I've tried shoe after shoe... men's shoes... wide shoes. .. extra wide shoes. My foot only measures an AB width on the left and a BC on the right. Despite this, when I put on a pair of lace up shoes, no matter the width, my toes hurt. .. big toe and little toe get rubbed.

It's hard for me to separate how much of this is real, because my arch is gradually collapsing and foot spreading and how much of it is just not being used to wearing real shoes. I've been in Birkenstock sandals for almost a year and ahalf.

The Ambulators seem promising and so do some of the Drew extra depth shoes. My orthodist is stretching the Ambulators I got. He says they are easier to modify than most shoes. They are a wide width, and to go any wider, I'll walk out of the heel. Infact, I already have to lace them up extra tight and wear a thick sock to keep the heel from slipping.

My orthodist says that I am unusually wide at the mid-foot/toe area (when standing) but still fairly narrow at the heel.

Thanks for your info. It may be that I simply won't be able to wear regular lace up shoes and will have to learn to be happy with the orthopedic shoes.
Thanks,
Beverly

Beverly on 6/10/01 at 15:54 (050404)

Bg Cped,

Since you suggested having me measure my foot length and arch length, I have a question. I've been measured and measured... One foot is a women's size 9BC. The other is a women's size 9.5 AB. Until two years ago, I wore a womens 9A or 9B. Since developing PF, I've gradually gone up in size for closed toe shoes. I now wear a women's 11 wide! Yet my foot still measures, even when weightbearing about the same.
When I try to wear a smaller length, my big toe literally hits the end of the shoe! And I've tried lots of shoes. Yet with open toe sandals, my shoe size has only changed a little bit.
My orthodist says he has never seen so much difference in actual shoe size and what a foot measures. Yet, he agrees I can't take the smaller sizes.

So, have you ever seen this? He says my feet just spread out alot on toe off.
Thanks,
Beverly

bg cped on 6/11/01 at 14:06 (050460)

Have a good show store or Pedorthist measure your arch length. This is not the same as heel to toe and in some cases can be 2 sizes different. This is the distance from the back of your heel to the middle of your great mtp joint ( behind the big toe, where you get a bunion) see if it is different than your traditional heel to toe measurement of 9-91/2 let me know what you find out