Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Technology and feet--future for PF??

Posted by Thomas Kadlecek on 6/10/01 at hrmin (050371)

Hello,

I wanted to first say that my father suffers from PF for over 3 years now, and our whole family goes through his struggles with him. You may understand this as well. It came to my attention that while not being extremely mechanically minded myself (to say the least), I have noticed that although PF victims have many options to put inside their shoes, the option to choose many different shoes, and many other forms of therapy, there seems to be something missing.
I noticed 'it' when my father complains that although his shoes 'work well', he still can't walk on hard surfaces for long amounts of time. 'Well isn't that strange?' I thought to myself...he can walk on carpet much longer then go to the supermarket. Why not just cut up carpet and slap it on the bottoms of his shoes so he can ALWAYS walk on carpet!? Right? Wrong. He didn't like that idea. Must not be fashionable. I guess even if you are in tremendous pain, the pain of looking ridiculous must overwhelm one. But the fact seems certain to me...why do cars have shocks, bikes have shocks, crutches have shocks, but people who have the most tender injuries have no dampener OUTSIDE of their vehicle (i.e. 'shoes') to cushion each 100-250lb pound blow to this sensitive body organ? I don't mean putting a person on slinky stilts, I simply mean here is a viable option that I havn't seen marketed to the public. I don't mean Nike 'Pump' shoes, I mean genuine heal relief. I've even thought about some solutions to this as well. When you think of it, as long as the orthodic is shaped correctly and does not flex, it shouldn't matter what you put on the bottom of the shoe (carpet, towels, packing bubbles, begonias) as long as the surface dampens each step you take. I would even like to see a list of ideas from everyone on this website of possible shock absorption ideas. I plan to 'modify' a pair of Reebok shoes for my Dad simply because he won't do it himself. He'll try on 100 pairs of shoes created for people with no heel pain, then complain that his feet will never heal. I'm not sure that doctors can do much more for him, they've already done so much. Now I don't want to delve into this any further, but I would really like any feedback any of you may have on this. Maybe someone could contribute to this? Thanks for your time!

Sincerely,
Thomas Kadlecek (son of PF victim)
TRKadlecek@aol.com

Re: Technology and feet--future for PF??

Nancy S. on 6/10/01 at 06:48 (050380)

Dear Thomas,
You may have some good ideas here.
Personally, of all the things you suggested, I would love to have begonias as shock absorbers on the bottom of my shoes, and I thank you for the whimsical idea!
Good luck.
Nancy S.
p.s. I'm not a doctor, so forgive my intrusion here.

john a on 6/10/01 at 09:10 (050383)

I'm no doctor, but for the ultimate 'shock absorber' shoe, see http://www.zcoil.com I haven't tried them myself, but am intrigued.

Re: Wow...thanks for the link! Very interesting...

Thomas Kadlecek on 6/10/01 at hrmin (050411)

I think that this is what I was thinking along the lines of. I'm just glad one person out there is trying anyways....

Thanks again!
Sinerely yours,
Tom

Nancy S. on 6/10/01 at 06:48 (050380)

Dear Thomas,
You may have some good ideas here.
Personally, of all the things you suggested, I would love to have begonias as shock absorbers on the bottom of my shoes, and I thank you for the whimsical idea!
Good luck.
Nancy S.
p.s. I'm not a doctor, so forgive my intrusion here.

john a on 6/10/01 at 09:10 (050383)

I'm no doctor, but for the ultimate 'shock absorber' shoe, see http://www.zcoil.com I haven't tried them myself, but am intrigued.

Re: Wow...thanks for the link! Very interesting...

Thomas Kadlecek on 6/10/01 at hrmin (050411)

I think that this is what I was thinking along the lines of. I'm just glad one person out there is trying anyways....

Thanks again!
Sinerely yours,
Tom