Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Silicone Dynamic Orthotics - One Month Follow-up

Posted by Errol H on 6/10/01 at hrmin (050377)

Well, as far as I can tell, I'm the first one at heelspurs to buy the SDOs, and post a follow-up, so here goes: I've had PF for 4 years, and used to be quite active before I got it. I have it bilaterally, am not obese, and I have high arches. For 2-1/2 years, I dutifully followed my PTs advice, and overstretched, including the dreaded 'hanging off the stairs' stretch, which has probably greated extended my time to heal. I've done all the conservative therapies to no avail. I've had 3 previous orthotics, the last one a custom EVA model made by a fine C.Ped. here in Wisconsin. They provided some relief, but after 2 years, I wanted to try something more. I had been looking for something really soft, and the SDO's seemed like just the ticket. To review, they're liquid-filled, so they've been called 'waterbeds for feet'. They felt very comfortable right away, and fitting them into shoes is not a problem like other orthotics for high arches, since the SDO's merely squash out into the space in your arch. They really make the biggest difference when I'm walking, rather than when just standing around, since they move. Within 2 weeks, I had quite a bit less pain, and started gardening again, but haven't started to run again. Dr. Kiper has cautioned me that it'll still probably be 1-2 years before I'm pain-free, but as long as I'm making progress, I'm happy. From reading this website for about a year, I get the feeling that those of us with high arches and pain in both feet are a little bit different than folks with pain in one foot. I've never had the excruciating pain first thing in the morning, but by 5 minutes on my feet, it feels like I don't have a fat pad in my heel. The SDO's are the first thing that has changed that feeling by spreading out the forces in my feet. About 6 months ago, both Drs. B and Z briefly commented on SDO's, without making any value judgements. I'd be interested in any more comments from podiatrists or C.Peds who have experience with patients with SDO's or something similar. I'd also be happy to have a dialog here, or answer emails. There may be hope for us 'chronics'!

Re: Silicone Dynamic Orthotics - One Month Follow-up

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/10/01 at 08:48 (050382)

Good information. My gut feeling without every seeing or trying these inserts is that they absorb and or move the shocking producing stress away from the plantar fascia when walking.

I have this feeling that the patients that have tried everything, blood testing, x-ray mri and examination is within normal limits, have lost the shock absorbing ability that is necessary for human locomation.

I have no proof but this is one of my theories. Would love additional doctor comments.

Lori E. on 6/11/01 at 21:12 (050487)

Errol,
I am glad to hear that these work for you. Thanks for your follow up report. Could you tell us how much you paid for them?
I have high arches too, and they sound like something that may work for me. I think you are right that those of us with high arches are different that those who don't as far as finding the right orthodic. Dr. Z told me that I supinate and I need cushioning more than motion control.
You said they fit in normal shoes, I have invested in Mephiso shoes to give my feet the support they need, (they definately don't bend,) and would like to have something to put in them to provide that extra cushion.
It would be nice to know how much of an they cost after all the money I have invested in shoes to this point.

Errol H on 6/12/01 at hrmin (050571)

Hi Lori, thanks for responding! I paid the advertised amount, around $300 big ones. They're probably a little overpriced, but I've paid the same amount for other orthotics that didn't work as well! They don't look like much when they arrive, since they're basically flat, but when you wear them, they squish out, and spread out the forces on your foot. They'll probably fit in any shoe, because they only take up room that your foot doesn't. Hope this makes sense. Errol H

Re: SDO -One Month Follow-up... Thanks!

Lori E. on 6/13/01 at 11:24 (050611)

Thanks for the info. Errol! I will think about this one and talk with Dr. Z about it. It is great when we get feed back on products so we have something to go on besides advertizements.

Errol H on 6/14/01 at hrmin (050720)

Lori: I forgot to mention, there's a money-back guarantee! This is what finally convinced me to get them. I don't think I'll be sending mine back! What do we have to lose, if other treatments haven't cured the problem? The SDO's web site is linked right from heelspurs.com. Best of luck. Errol H

Sean - C.Ped. on 6/23/01 at 12:35 (051348)

the best analogy I have heard about the plantar facia is to compare it to the string on an archers bow. Imagine setting it down with the string on the floor and pushing down on the middle of the wooden bow from above. The string would be stretched as you pushed down, eventually the string would fray and be damaged. High arched folks usually have tight opposing muscles medially and latterally (peroneals and post tibial)which pulls the mid foot up, the PF shortens over time, or may have always been short and may injure with impact. Look into stretching these specific muscle groups. What you may be sensing is the cushioning effect of the fluid under foot, only time will tell if this leads to a cure. By the way, at about 50 years of age the fat pad under your heel will become more fluid and squish out from under the heelbone. On hard wood floors this can be pretty jarring.

ron p on 7/03/01 at 23:49 (052173)

I have a flat sort of cavus right foot does the SDO provide much arch support, also i lack much heel pad and does it provide much cushion under the ball of the foot.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/10/01 at 08:48 (050382)

Good information. My gut feeling without every seeing or trying these inserts is that they absorb and or move the shocking producing stress away from the plantar fascia when walking.

I have this feeling that the patients that have tried everything, blood testing, x-ray mri and examination is within normal limits, have lost the shock absorbing ability that is necessary for human locomation.

I have no proof but this is one of my theories. Would love additional doctor comments.

Lori E. on 6/11/01 at 21:12 (050487)

Errol,
I am glad to hear that these work for you. Thanks for your follow up report. Could you tell us how much you paid for them?
I have high arches too, and they sound like something that may work for me. I think you are right that those of us with high arches are different that those who don't as far as finding the right orthodic. Dr. Z told me that I supinate and I need cushioning more than motion control.
You said they fit in normal shoes, I have invested in Mephiso shoes to give my feet the support they need, (they definately don't bend,) and would like to have something to put in them to provide that extra cushion.
It would be nice to know how much of an they cost after all the money I have invested in shoes to this point.

Errol H on 6/12/01 at hrmin (050571)

Hi Lori, thanks for responding! I paid the advertised amount, around $300 big ones. They're probably a little overpriced, but I've paid the same amount for other orthotics that didn't work as well! They don't look like much when they arrive, since they're basically flat, but when you wear them, they squish out, and spread out the forces on your foot. They'll probably fit in any shoe, because they only take up room that your foot doesn't. Hope this makes sense. Errol H

Lori E. on 6/13/01 at 11:24 (050611)

Thanks for the info. Errol! I will think about this one and talk with Dr. Z about it. It is great when we get feed back on products so we have something to go on besides advertizements.

Errol H on 6/14/01 at hrmin (050720)

Lori: I forgot to mention, there's a money-back guarantee! This is what finally convinced me to get them. I don't think I'll be sending mine back! What do we have to lose, if other treatments haven't cured the problem? The SDO's web site is linked right from heelspurs.com. Best of luck. Errol H

Sean - C.Ped. on 6/23/01 at 12:35 (051348)

the best analogy I have heard about the plantar facia is to compare it to the string on an archers bow. Imagine setting it down with the string on the floor and pushing down on the middle of the wooden bow from above. The string would be stretched as you pushed down, eventually the string would fray and be damaged. High arched folks usually have tight opposing muscles medially and latterally (peroneals and post tibial)which pulls the mid foot up, the PF shortens over time, or may have always been short and may injure with impact. Look into stretching these specific muscle groups. What you may be sensing is the cushioning effect of the fluid under foot, only time will tell if this leads to a cure. By the way, at about 50 years of age the fat pad under your heel will become more fluid and squish out from under the heelbone. On hard wood floors this can be pretty jarring.

ron p on 7/03/01 at 23:49 (052173)

I have a flat sort of cavus right foot does the SDO provide much arch support, also i lack much heel pad and does it provide much cushion under the ball of the foot.