Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

2 weeks since operation

Posted by Rick on 6/11/01 at hrmin (050420)

Hi
An update for anyone interested:
It's 2 weeks today since my TT release operation on my left foot. The stitches broke early on and the wound was resutured 2 days after the procedure. If all is well the stitches will be removed in another 3 days.
The pain has been minimal and my major issue has been the lack of mobility. As I have TT in my right foot and as my right knee is not terrific, I have found it easier to use a wheelchair. I am progressively finding it less necessary to keep my foot elevated - but this is still important.
Five days ago the surgeon , having examined the wound, said he was happy for me to put a little weight on my left foot. This has not been difficult and I shuffle a few metres from time to time.
My ankle is still very swollen and the flex, particularly upwards, is very limited at this time.
So, to date, I am not unhappy with my progress and am looking forward to doing some swimming for exercise once the stitches have been taken out.
If anyone reading this contemplating surgery then please be most aware that [a] the above is just my experience and may not be yours, and [b] that I do not know what the coming weeks / months will bring in the way of recuperation. At this time I am OK with the way things are going for me, although I feel no 'anxiety' to get my right foot done soon. I think I'll give myself a significant break between surgeries if possible.
Regards
Rick

Re: 2 weeks since operation

Lori R on 6/13/01 at 09:31 (050600)

I just found out I have TTS on Monday (2 days ago.) I have been suffering symptoms for a little over 4 years. I've been through all the conservate methods of trement including rest, ice, elevation, anti- inflammitories, orthotics, and special shoes. After being to a number of docs including podiatrists, orthopaedic surgeon, and a rheumotologist, I was referred to a new orthopaedic surgeon. That was my appt on Monday. In 15 minutes he knew it was TTS, having read my history and of the treaments I had been through recommend surgery. I have 3 questions for you. Now that you have an idea of what the surgery consists of and having been through the worst part of the recovery (pain and mobility factor)what do you think about having both feet done at the same time? Both of my feet are bad and forget about the sports I used to do I can't even go shopping or vaccum and mop the floors. It's been 2 weeks since your surgery, where do you see your progress in 6 more weeks, after 2 months? I would like to go ahead and have the surgery however I have a big trip planned in 3 months. The doctor seemed like that might be a possiblity. What do you think?

Best of luck to you and thanks for passing on your experience. Lori

Rick on 6/13/01 at 19:24 (050653)

Hi Lori
I'm not well equipped to answer some of your questions. In terms of myself I can't imagine having both feet done simultaneously. The lack of mobility and need to rely on others would be two factors putting putting me off. My original thoughts were to have the operations perhaps 2 months apart but even this feels, in my case, too ambitious. Because my TT symptoms are not extreme my current thinking is to defer the second operation until next year.
I have no idea where I'll be in 4 or 6 more weeks. I know what I 'hope' for - but that may not be realised.
And as for your trip - I just don't know. Perhaps it depends upon the extent to which you are dependent on walking while away.
Meantime I'm off to the Dr this morning for a review.
Best wishes
Rick

Lori R on 6/13/01 at 09:31 (050600)

I just found out I have TTS on Monday (2 days ago.) I have been suffering symptoms for a little over 4 years. I've been through all the conservate methods of trement including rest, ice, elevation, anti- inflammitories, orthotics, and special shoes. After being to a number of docs including podiatrists, orthopaedic surgeon, and a rheumotologist, I was referred to a new orthopaedic surgeon. That was my appt on Monday. In 15 minutes he knew it was TTS, having read my history and of the treaments I had been through recommend surgery. I have 3 questions for you. Now that you have an idea of what the surgery consists of and having been through the worst part of the recovery (pain and mobility factor)what do you think about having both feet done at the same time? Both of my feet are bad and forget about the sports I used to do I can't even go shopping or vaccum and mop the floors. It's been 2 weeks since your surgery, where do you see your progress in 6 more weeks, after 2 months? I would like to go ahead and have the surgery however I have a big trip planned in 3 months. The doctor seemed like that might be a possiblity. What do you think?

Best of luck to you and thanks for passing on your experience. Lori

Rick on 6/13/01 at 19:24 (050653)

Hi Lori
I'm not well equipped to answer some of your questions. In terms of myself I can't imagine having both feet done simultaneously. The lack of mobility and need to rely on others would be two factors putting putting me off. My original thoughts were to have the operations perhaps 2 months apart but even this feels, in my case, too ambitious. Because my TT symptoms are not extreme my current thinking is to defer the second operation until next year.
I have no idea where I'll be in 4 or 6 more weeks. I know what I 'hope' for - but that may not be realised.
And as for your trip - I just don't know. Perhaps it depends upon the extent to which you are dependent on walking while away.
Meantime I'm off to the Dr this morning for a review.
Best wishes
Rick