Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How I'm doing and a new/promising shoe

Posted by Beverly on 6/11/01 at 13:42 (050459)

Hi gang,

I have not had much to say lately. Partly, because it helps me overall to spend less time on the computer and partly because for so long, I felt totally stalled out on any hope for improvement, I just didn't have anything new or hopeful to say.

Anyway, I'm in a better frame of mind. I've forced myself to get out of the house more. (I work at home and it is very easy to isolate when in pain.) I can't tell you how much that has helped my spirits. I still have to pick and choose what I want to do. Two social events in the same weekend is too much. I've been amazed how much standing around is involved with chitchatting. I always look for a chair. I have not yet been able to bring myself to drag my three-legged folding stool with me to parties and church.

After numerous attempts at orthodics... each of which was a total failure, I've finally found a promising pair. I've been wearing them off and on for a couple of weeks... trying to get used to them and searching for a shoe that works. IT IS HARD GIVING UP MY BIRKS! But I see a big difference in how my ankle feels in a lace up shoe with some heel height & orthodic versus the Birks.

I have not found 'the perfect' lace up shoe yet, but I have found one that is very promising. It is called The Ambulator. (Available from orthopedic stores.) I special ordered mine. The leather version looks like a Rockport but the footbed is firmer and the shoe has extra depth to accomodate orthodics. They run wide which I need in the toe area.

I'm peeved because my new doctor won't renew my handicap parking sticker. I had to try several doctors in my old city before I found one willing to do it.

My best,
Beverly

Re: How I'm doing and a new/promising shoe

Steve P on 6/11/01 at 17:44 (050469)

Bev --- Good to hear from you. I'm also improving slowly & I agree that it's important to get out each day & 'do something'. At a minimum, I go swimming each day, & 3 days a week I tutor, which seems to be particularly good for getting my mind off myself & my feet. I think we all have to find the right formula.

Thanks for the update & keep up the good work.

Steve

wendyn on 6/11/01 at 23:08 (050492)

Hi Beverly! I've missed you!

Why is your new doctor being a weenie about the parking pass?

Beverly on 6/12/01 at 11:26 (050517)

Hi Steve and Wendy,

My doctor is being hard nosed about the parking pass, because she says
that according to Texas law, I don't qualify... 'that it is for the truely handicapped... people in wheelchairs... on oxygen, ect.' I got this same line when I tried to get one six months ago in Corpus. I finally got a doctor in Corpus willing to do it. To him, it was no big deal. I'm going to ask my orthopedic surgeon for one when I see him at the end of the month. It seems that it depends on how a doctor interprets the law as to whether or not I qualify. The irony is that when I got the sticker the first time, the court house person took my script, handed me my sticker with no questions asked. I have not given up, but it may take trying every doctor I know before I find one willing.
Thanks for asking,
Beverly

Carlw on 6/12/01 at 15:57 (050529)

Beverly,

I find the whole rational for not giving you a parking pass EXTREMELY frustrating. I am not sure how to say this without causing some backlash but I feel that severe PF is EQUALLY warranting of a handicap parking pass as it is for individuals who are wheelchair confined. Once an individual is in their chair and providing the facility is wheel chair accessible they can pretty much move around as they want too. With severe PF we have to ration every step we take.

Good Luck and keep trying.

Carl

Re: SHOES

Mary S. on 6/12/01 at 19:29 (050552)

Beverly- thanks for the info about the new shoe. Maybe that would be a good one for me to try. Currently I am or was wearing 'Easy Spirit', Motion, a lace up that I teach in-actually do most everything in since I cannot tolerate anything else for very long. The hour or so I spent in dress shoes for Church was killing me--can't do it any more for awhile.
I am pretty new to the board and just love it. The people are great and such an encouragement.
It is great that you feel like getting out, but no one understands the mind of a foot pain sufferer unless they suffer too. It can be sooooo hard to smile and try to appear light hearted when it feels like the devil is working on your feet as you stand there. Also, few understand how many days it make take you to recover from one outing on your feet.
I haven't asked for a handicap parking sticker yet, but I need one badly. Any form of foot surgery or diagnosis of serious problem should qualify automatically.
Hope you continue to heal.

Laurie R on 6/12/01 at 20:57 (050558)

Hi Beverly , It is so nice to hear from you... This really makes me mad about the parking sticker. I just can't understand why a doctor would not give them out for PF. My hubby keeps asking me to ask for one. I don't think my doctor would have any problem oking it. I always forget to ask.Last Friday night I had to go to the mall to get something to wear for a party ... Well before I even went I knew I was only going to one store. So I went and got the outfit ,than I needed shoes.... So by the time I was in the shoe dept I could bearly walk. We had to leave the pain was so bad in my foot. My foot can be ok and than the very next minute the pain is a 10.

Maybe we can all write your doctor a letter and let him know how it is .... Hang in there I am sure you will find a doctor that will give you a much deserved permit...

My very best to you Beverly .Laurie R

Mary S. on 6/12/01 at 21:26 (050562)

Laurie--I know just what you mean abut the pain being a 10 by the time you got to the shoe dept. I have learned over the years that if I am going to buy shoes-go there first. Of course by doing that I have to take into consideration that my feet are not as swollen as they do get and go for a wider width. But at least by going there first, I am not so done in by the pain that I decide that I just can't take it and leave without any shoes. Isn't is unreal how our feet control our lives!!!
Too bad there is not an organization just for us that would entitle us to parking stickers and other benifits--such as discounts on shoes!
Wishing you happy feet!!

Laurie R on 6/12/01 at 23:59 (050574)

Hi Mary , I so agree with everything you said. I am going to ask for the parking permit next visit .... I have been putting it off for so long or I just forget.....Again I am so glad you took a few steps.. *~* .Laurie R

Re: Handicap Parking

Andrea R. on 6/13/01 at 09:53 (050602)

Beverly,

Get a copy of the state law regarding handicap parking passes and take it with you to the doctor. Luckily my orthopedic surgeon gave me one no problem.

Good luck,

Andrea

Re: Dress shoes

Beverly on 6/13/01 at 13:24 (050622)

Someone said her dress shoes for church are killing her feet. Two ideas:
1. If you like Birks, there is a Birk sandal in black paten leather made on the classic footbed. And although it's not real dressy, I've worn my Florida Birks with skirts many times. The Florida style is less bulky than most Birks.

2. For something a little dressier, I've had good luck with Dansko. I wear the Meta sandal. It has a heel. It's kinda clunky. All Dansko's are clunky. They have a fashion line, but I have had to stay with their classic footbed. From the classic footbed, another one is the Clara. I have not tried it, but it looks cute. Dansko also put out a new sandal clog this year that looks like a Mary Jane. What I like about Dansko is that they have firm footbeds and arch support. They also run wide.

If you go to http://www.Dansko.com , you'll see their selection.

Thanks for all the feedback, and yes, I think it is unfair that PF gets discriminated against on handicap parking stickers!
Beverly

Steve P on 6/11/01 at 17:44 (050469)

Bev --- Good to hear from you. I'm also improving slowly & I agree that it's important to get out each day & 'do something'. At a minimum, I go swimming each day, & 3 days a week I tutor, which seems to be particularly good for getting my mind off myself & my feet. I think we all have to find the right formula.

Thanks for the update & keep up the good work.

Steve

wendyn on 6/11/01 at 23:08 (050492)

Hi Beverly! I've missed you!

Why is your new doctor being a weenie about the parking pass?

Beverly on 6/12/01 at 11:26 (050517)

Hi Steve and Wendy,

My doctor is being hard nosed about the parking pass, because she says
that according to Texas law, I don't qualify... 'that it is for the truely handicapped... people in wheelchairs... on oxygen, ect.' I got this same line when I tried to get one six months ago in Corpus. I finally got a doctor in Corpus willing to do it. To him, it was no big deal. I'm going to ask my orthopedic surgeon for one when I see him at the end of the month. It seems that it depends on how a doctor interprets the law as to whether or not I qualify. The irony is that when I got the sticker the first time, the court house person took my script, handed me my sticker with no questions asked. I have not given up, but it may take trying every doctor I know before I find one willing.
Thanks for asking,
Beverly

Carlw on 6/12/01 at 15:57 (050529)

Beverly,

I find the whole rational for not giving you a parking pass EXTREMELY frustrating. I am not sure how to say this without causing some backlash but I feel that severe PF is EQUALLY warranting of a handicap parking pass as it is for individuals who are wheelchair confined. Once an individual is in their chair and providing the facility is wheel chair accessible they can pretty much move around as they want too. With severe PF we have to ration every step we take.

Good Luck and keep trying.

Carl

Re: SHOES

Mary S. on 6/12/01 at 19:29 (050552)

Beverly- thanks for the info about the new shoe. Maybe that would be a good one for me to try. Currently I am or was wearing 'Easy Spirit', Motion, a lace up that I teach in-actually do most everything in since I cannot tolerate anything else for very long. The hour or so I spent in dress shoes for Church was killing me--can't do it any more for awhile.
I am pretty new to the board and just love it. The people are great and such an encouragement.
It is great that you feel like getting out, but no one understands the mind of a foot pain sufferer unless they suffer too. It can be sooooo hard to smile and try to appear light hearted when it feels like the devil is working on your feet as you stand there. Also, few understand how many days it make take you to recover from one outing on your feet.
I haven't asked for a handicap parking sticker yet, but I need one badly. Any form of foot surgery or diagnosis of serious problem should qualify automatically.
Hope you continue to heal.

Laurie R on 6/12/01 at 20:57 (050558)

Hi Beverly , It is so nice to hear from you... This really makes me mad about the parking sticker. I just can't understand why a doctor would not give them out for PF. My hubby keeps asking me to ask for one. I don't think my doctor would have any problem oking it. I always forget to ask.Last Friday night I had to go to the mall to get something to wear for a party ... Well before I even went I knew I was only going to one store. So I went and got the outfit ,than I needed shoes.... So by the time I was in the shoe dept I could bearly walk. We had to leave the pain was so bad in my foot. My foot can be ok and than the very next minute the pain is a 10.

Maybe we can all write your doctor a letter and let him know how it is .... Hang in there I am sure you will find a doctor that will give you a much deserved permit...

My very best to you Beverly .Laurie R

Mary S. on 6/12/01 at 21:26 (050562)

Laurie--I know just what you mean abut the pain being a 10 by the time you got to the shoe dept. I have learned over the years that if I am going to buy shoes-go there first. Of course by doing that I have to take into consideration that my feet are not as swollen as they do get and go for a wider width. But at least by going there first, I am not so done in by the pain that I decide that I just can't take it and leave without any shoes. Isn't is unreal how our feet control our lives!!!
Too bad there is not an organization just for us that would entitle us to parking stickers and other benifits--such as discounts on shoes!
Wishing you happy feet!!

Laurie R on 6/12/01 at 23:59 (050574)

Hi Mary , I so agree with everything you said. I am going to ask for the parking permit next visit .... I have been putting it off for so long or I just forget.....Again I am so glad you took a few steps.. *~* .Laurie R

Re: Handicap Parking

Andrea R. on 6/13/01 at 09:53 (050602)

Beverly,

Get a copy of the state law regarding handicap parking passes and take it with you to the doctor. Luckily my orthopedic surgeon gave me one no problem.

Good luck,

Andrea

Re: Dress shoes

Beverly on 6/13/01 at 13:24 (050622)

Someone said her dress shoes for church are killing her feet. Two ideas:
1. If you like Birks, there is a Birk sandal in black paten leather made on the classic footbed. And although it's not real dressy, I've worn my Florida Birks with skirts many times. The Florida style is less bulky than most Birks.

2. For something a little dressier, I've had good luck with Dansko. I wear the Meta sandal. It has a heel. It's kinda clunky. All Dansko's are clunky. They have a fashion line, but I have had to stay with their classic footbed. From the classic footbed, another one is the Clara. I have not tried it, but it looks cute. Dansko also put out a new sandal clog this year that looks like a Mary Jane. What I like about Dansko is that they have firm footbeds and arch support. They also run wide.

If you go to http://www.Dansko.com , you'll see their selection.

Thanks for all the feedback, and yes, I think it is unfair that PF gets discriminated against on handicap parking stickers!
Beverly