Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How do I work?

Posted by Sheri P. on 6/11/01 at 14:14 (050462)

Hello everyone,
I'm new to this condition, (Plantar Fasciitis) and I'm hoping this is temporary. I've worked part time as a waitress for many years and I've always worn good shoes like 'SAS' brand. Well, I recently got married and took some time off from working. About four days after our wedding, I went for a walk with a friend and by night time I was hobbling around the house thinking 'what the heck is this?'. I was planning to start working again in a few weeks and was really concerned, so the next morning and went to my doctor's office. The doctor took exrays and diagnosed PF. He did not see any heel spurs at this time.
I looked back on the past few weeks wondering what could have caused this and it's possible I may have traumatized it dancing too much at our wedding (Wood floors, and wedding slippers I'm sure didn't help) even though the pain didn't start until the following week. I look back on the last month of working and I remember thinking it was time to buy new shoes. Seemed the heel part was getting flat. Anyway, I don't think going back to being on my feet for 6 to 8 hours a day is going to do me any good (even it was only three days a week!) anytime soon and wonder if any of you have been in this bind? I've always enjoyed restaurant work because it is so active and I really have no other job skills. Has anyone here been forced to get retrained for employment due to this affliction? I'm getting nervous... any advise or direction is welcome.

Thank you very much,
Sheri P.

Re: How do I work?

Laurie R on 6/11/01 at 16:10 (050466)

Hi Sheri, welcome to the board... I have been a bartender for 17 years .. This is the only type of work I know how to do too. I hurt my foot at work two years ago. My advise to you is take care of your feet... I have been off work now for 21 months .I did work for the first three months when I hurt my foot. As you know we work for mostly cash tips , so my workmans comp is not that much. I am very greatful for it ,it is better then nothing. I have a lot of different problems with my foot now . At first only PF .... Rememeber most people that get PF and take care of it do heal . I did not take care of it from the start this is why I am the way I am .... PLEASE listen to your feet and take care of them.

What did your doctor say about the type of work you do?? Are you going to therapy ?? Let me know if I can help you in any way.....My very best to you.Laurei R

Steve P on 6/11/01 at 17:51 (050470)

Hi Sheri --- Please don't undersetimate this. You need to stay off your feet as much as possible until you have clear & sustained improvement. Whether you can go back to waitressing I can't say, but for now please give it up & make sure you have an aggressive PF treatment program. Ask your doc about an anti-inflammatory (NSAID) & possible Physical Therapy for several weeks. Get well before you even think about going back!

best.........Steve

Paula G. on 6/11/01 at 20:36 (050483)

Yes, I have had to give up working a part time job I liked. I don't feel too bad because I can stay at home with my family now, but I realize a lot of others cannot. I was restricted to how long I could stand. I was a cashier. I could have made them give me a stool to sit on so I would not be standing though. Any doctors orders an employer must accommodate like that. I ended up quitting.
It is really hard. The best thing for this is rest, rest and more rest. Seems like the second you stand and begin walking it starts all over again.
Because there is no cure all for this condition, it takes a very long time to get better. I believe it is a disease. I believe it is always dormat ready to flare up.
I feel for you. Sometimes I would rather bang my head against the wall and feel that and get my mind and pain off my feet for awhile.....

Re: No more dancing in slippers !!!

BrianG on 6/12/01 at 09:44 (050510)

Hi Sheri,

I recently got in touch with the disabilities division of my state employment agency. After some paper work by myself, and my doc, they have approved me for acceptance in their programs. I know this sounds bad, but they said because of my age (over 50) they would not be sending me to classes for retraining. They are going to assist me in getting a sit down job with a full benefits package. The decision on no classes really didn't bother me, as I had originally told them it wasn't high on my list.

It is available though, for people who need it. It will only take one call to you local employment office to get the ball rolling. Don't forget to ask for the disabilities division. Take care of this problem now, this is when it'll be the easiest to cure.

BCG

Re: Thanks!!

Sheri P. on 6/13/01 at 18:00 (050647)

Thank you all for your advise and support... I will heed what you say and take care of this. I'm going to go to a temp office and see if I can get some work. (I'll let them know I can't stand at a copier all day) I'm unfamiliar with the office scene so the temp work should be a good way to get my feet wet. Pardon the pun ;-)

Cheers!
Sheri P.

Kathy on 6/23/01 at 09:51 (051340)

Paula,

I work only 8-12 hours a week in a library but I'm giving my notice on Monday because I just can't do it anymore. One of the shifts is 4 1/2 hours long but it wrecks three days - the day before because I have to rest as much as possible - the day I work because the pain is so bad when I come home tht I can't do anything - and the day after, because the pain is still so bad I can't do much! I suddenly realized that this job is not worth it! I said to myself, while at work yesterday with my arches screaming at me, 'What is more important - the job or your feet?' No contest!

I am very fortunate in that I don't have to work financially but it will mean some major pscychological adjustments for me since one of my children is grown and the other at college. My husband does have occasional full days off during the week and then works 12 hours shifts on the others. We really enjoy each other and will be able to do a lot together, within the constraints of my walking limitations. So, I can't really complain and am very greatful that I am not in a position where I have to work, but man, it's tough to finally admit that I CAN'T work! And it just kills me to have to rest because I have the energy to do so much more!

My sister had bi-lateral breast cancer two years ago so I know how much worse things could be. I remember than and it helps me to keep things in perspective!

Laurie R on 6/11/01 at 16:10 (050466)

Hi Sheri, welcome to the board... I have been a bartender for 17 years .. This is the only type of work I know how to do too. I hurt my foot at work two years ago. My advise to you is take care of your feet... I have been off work now for 21 months .I did work for the first three months when I hurt my foot. As you know we work for mostly cash tips , so my workmans comp is not that much. I am very greatful for it ,it is better then nothing. I have a lot of different problems with my foot now . At first only PF .... Rememeber most people that get PF and take care of it do heal . I did not take care of it from the start this is why I am the way I am .... PLEASE listen to your feet and take care of them.

What did your doctor say about the type of work you do?? Are you going to therapy ?? Let me know if I can help you in any way.....My very best to you.Laurei R

Steve P on 6/11/01 at 17:51 (050470)

Hi Sheri --- Please don't undersetimate this. You need to stay off your feet as much as possible until you have clear & sustained improvement. Whether you can go back to waitressing I can't say, but for now please give it up & make sure you have an aggressive PF treatment program. Ask your doc about an anti-inflammatory (NSAID) & possible Physical Therapy for several weeks. Get well before you even think about going back!

best.........Steve

Paula G. on 6/11/01 at 20:36 (050483)

Yes, I have had to give up working a part time job I liked. I don't feel too bad because I can stay at home with my family now, but I realize a lot of others cannot. I was restricted to how long I could stand. I was a cashier. I could have made them give me a stool to sit on so I would not be standing though. Any doctors orders an employer must accommodate like that. I ended up quitting.
It is really hard. The best thing for this is rest, rest and more rest. Seems like the second you stand and begin walking it starts all over again.
Because there is no cure all for this condition, it takes a very long time to get better. I believe it is a disease. I believe it is always dormat ready to flare up.
I feel for you. Sometimes I would rather bang my head against the wall and feel that and get my mind and pain off my feet for awhile.....

Re: No more dancing in slippers !!!

BrianG on 6/12/01 at 09:44 (050510)

Hi Sheri,

I recently got in touch with the disabilities division of my state employment agency. After some paper work by myself, and my doc, they have approved me for acceptance in their programs. I know this sounds bad, but they said because of my age (over 50) they would not be sending me to classes for retraining. They are going to assist me in getting a sit down job with a full benefits package. The decision on no classes really didn't bother me, as I had originally told them it wasn't high on my list.

It is available though, for people who need it. It will only take one call to you local employment office to get the ball rolling. Don't forget to ask for the disabilities division. Take care of this problem now, this is when it'll be the easiest to cure.

BCG

Re: Thanks!!

Sheri P. on 6/13/01 at 18:00 (050647)

Thank you all for your advise and support... I will heed what you say and take care of this. I'm going to go to a temp office and see if I can get some work. (I'll let them know I can't stand at a copier all day) I'm unfamiliar with the office scene so the temp work should be a good way to get my feet wet. Pardon the pun ;-)

Cheers!
Sheri P.

Kathy on 6/23/01 at 09:51 (051340)

Paula,

I work only 8-12 hours a week in a library but I'm giving my notice on Monday because I just can't do it anymore. One of the shifts is 4 1/2 hours long but it wrecks three days - the day before because I have to rest as much as possible - the day I work because the pain is so bad when I come home tht I can't do anything - and the day after, because the pain is still so bad I can't do much! I suddenly realized that this job is not worth it! I said to myself, while at work yesterday with my arches screaming at me, 'What is more important - the job or your feet?' No contest!

I am very fortunate in that I don't have to work financially but it will mean some major pscychological adjustments for me since one of my children is grown and the other at college. My husband does have occasional full days off during the week and then works 12 hours shifts on the others. We really enjoy each other and will be able to do a lot together, within the constraints of my walking limitations. So, I can't really complain and am very greatful that I am not in a position where I have to work, but man, it's tough to finally admit that I CAN'T work! And it just kills me to have to rest because I have the energy to do so much more!

My sister had bi-lateral breast cancer two years ago so I know how much worse things could be. I remember than and it helps me to keep things in perspective!