Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I saw the doc today...

Posted by Carmel M on 6/12/01 at 11:39 (050518)

Hi all,
My visit with the podiatrist was not as helpful as I imagined it might be. He didn't tell me anything I didn't already know from reading info from this site and other related sites. Here's the low-down on what went on and what was said:
1. If cortisone worked the last time (and it did) then we'll do another one today to see if that helps with the pain. This makes 3 shots total, and I personally won't get another one unless I have an MRI done to rule out anything else and to see how much fat pad is left.

2. In his opinion, night splints aren't all that much helpful, although he did admit that the patients of his who had tried them may not have worn them the entire time or possibly not at all.

3. He was pretty unwilling to talk about ESWT, said it was really new, and wasn't sure of it's success rate.

4. I will do physical therapy, and possibly ultrasound if this latest cortisone shot doesn't 'heal' the heel pain syndrome (that's what he calls it).

There is no majic pill, no majic bullet to cure this problem, and although he doesn't see many patients who take this long to heal, he knows we exist.

Ok, now my feelings on how it went:
He doesn't know diddly about the 'proper footwear'. He glanced at my worn Avia's and said, 'these are good shoes.' By the way, my New Balance are here, so I just need to go try them on.

He mentioned surgery, but didn't push it and I'm glad about that. I honestly don't want surgery anyway.

He said he would give the OK for an MRI, but truly beleives that it won't show much more than he already knows. I guess he's a good doctor but seems to be very conservative. He really beleives that this will get better over time.

So that's that...I don't know what else to say. Thanks for listening and thanks for being here. This is a wonderful site for information and compassion.

Re: I saw the doc today...

Steve P on 6/13/01 at 16:37 (050639)

Carmel --- Nothing above really surprises me. When he says ESWT is 'really new' he means he doesn't know much about it. It's been used for over 20 years in Europe & has been increasingly used for PF the last 2+ years in Canada & the US.

When he says he isn't 'sure of the success rate', it means he hasn't done any research. If he even spent an hour on the Internet he would see that success rates of 60% to 80% are consistently reported for ESWT treatment of PF.

He may be an OK pod, but he isn't up to date.

Best............Steve

Re: I saw the doc today...

Steve P on 6/13/01 at 16:37 (050639)

Carmel --- Nothing above really surprises me. When he says ESWT is 'really new' he means he doesn't know much about it. It's been used for over 20 years in Europe & has been increasingly used for PF the last 2+ years in Canada & the US.

When he says he isn't 'sure of the success rate', it means he hasn't done any research. If he even spent an hour on the Internet he would see that success rates of 60% to 80% are consistently reported for ESWT treatment of PF.

He may be an OK pod, but he isn't up to date.

Best............Steve