Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Second opinion

Posted by Suzie Miller on 6/12/01 at hrmin (050531)

I recentlly seen a podiatrist and was diagnosed with heel spurs and bunions. After giveing me 1000mg og naproxen per day for a week (which only dulled the heel pain) he said I needed surgery to correct both. Since then I keep reading about cortizone injections and that surgery on heel spurs is usually not necessary. My doctor says cortizone is used with caution these days, and basically says I just need surgery to correct the spurs. I will be getting the bunions, however I am uncertain about the heel spurs. Please help shed light if you can.... Suzie Miller

Re: Second opinion

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/12/01 at 18:34 (050546)

What you have read and learn is true. Heel spur surgery isn't the first line of treatment. Bunion surgery is done for pain and or inability to fit into shoe.

bg cped on 6/12/01 at 22:24 (050568)

Dr Z is right on. If you have not tried several other options and your Dr has not offered anything but what you have mentioned get a 2nd op. If you have both spur and bunionectomy done you will have a foot that will hurt at both ends for a rather long time, and you wont have a comfortable area to wt bear on. ie you will probably feel better learning how to walk on your hands. I am not making light of your situation, just suggesting you get a 2nd opinion and also see a person that specializes in fitting proper footwear. If you get surg or not you need to get footwear straight. I would guess with all your foot issues you have been in the wrong shoes for a long time

Dr. David S. Wander on 6/13/01 at 17:32 (050645)

If your doctor only recommended cortisone injections or surgery for your heel pain, I wouldn't only recommend a second opinion, I'd recommend that you run out of the office!!! I would be very hesitant to let this doctor perform bunion surgery on you. His/her judgement scares me, if he/she really only offered you injections or surgery as your alternatives for heel pain. My recommendation would be to seek out a doctor that will give you many non-surgical options for your heel pain, and possibly also perform your bunion surgery. (If the bunion is painful). It sounds as if the doctor you've seen is a little too quick to cut.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/12/01 at 18:34 (050546)

What you have read and learn is true. Heel spur surgery isn't the first line of treatment. Bunion surgery is done for pain and or inability to fit into shoe.

bg cped on 6/12/01 at 22:24 (050568)

Dr Z is right on. If you have not tried several other options and your Dr has not offered anything but what you have mentioned get a 2nd op. If you have both spur and bunionectomy done you will have a foot that will hurt at both ends for a rather long time, and you wont have a comfortable area to wt bear on. ie you will probably feel better learning how to walk on your hands. I am not making light of your situation, just suggesting you get a 2nd opinion and also see a person that specializes in fitting proper footwear. If you get surg or not you need to get footwear straight. I would guess with all your foot issues you have been in the wrong shoes for a long time

Dr. David S. Wander on 6/13/01 at 17:32 (050645)

If your doctor only recommended cortisone injections or surgery for your heel pain, I wouldn't only recommend a second opinion, I'd recommend that you run out of the office!!! I would be very hesitant to let this doctor perform bunion surgery on you. His/her judgement scares me, if he/she really only offered you injections or surgery as your alternatives for heel pain. My recommendation would be to seek out a doctor that will give you many non-surgical options for your heel pain, and possibly also perform your bunion surgery. (If the bunion is painful). It sounds as if the doctor you've seen is a little too quick to cut.