Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

4 weeks post-op

Posted by Andrea R. on 6/13/01 at 07:49 (050586)

I'm four weeks post-op from an open 3/4 release and heel spur removal and doing well. I'm wearing shoes again, although finding the right ones took a while. Still using crutches and only partial weight bearing on left foot.

I've been extremely lucky in the pain department. It was alot less than I expected. I think my pre-op preparation paid off. I babied my foot, did a lot of foot massage and the doctor found very little inflamation when he did the surgery. I didn't have any form of cast so I was able to keep up the massaging and start light stretching two days after surgery.

I had 2 1/2 week off from work, and am now working half days. I work in an office so I can spend most of my time with my foot up. I have a distance restriction (200 ft) so I get a wheel chair ride to and from my office. When I first came back to work the company had decided that the only assistance they could give me was to leave a wheel chair at the employee entrance. I also was told I should bring my lunch since I couldn't get to the second floor cafeteria. Our building under construction so the elevator is not easily accessible. I worked 8 hours the first day but called the doctor's office and explained what was going on. He ordered the distance restriction, 2 weeks of half days and 3 weeks of 3/4 days. I hate having to impose my fellow employees to push me down the hall and get me coffee but that's the way it goes.

The hardest thing to get people to understand is that these surgeries can require a long recovery time and if you rush it, it takes even longer.

I wonder what happened to Bruce. He had surgery the day before mine and was going away for a week and I haven't seen any posting from him.

Andrea

Re: 4 weeks post-op

Tracey A on 6/15/01 at 21:05 (050794)

Andrea,
Just one question, did they do full pre-op blood work and/or tests?
Thanks, Tracey

Andrea R. on 6/18/01 at 07:09 (050934)

Tracy,

Since I had had a physical in December and I am generally healthy I was able to skip the pre-op blood work. I had a quick check in my doctor's office of blood pressure, pulse, breathing, etc.

A nurse called from the hospital and asked a lot of questions about medical history, current meds, allergies, pain level and such. I also had a questionaire to fill out for the anesthesiologist. I met with him when I got to the hospital the day of surgery.

Andrea

Tracey A on 6/15/01 at 21:05 (050794)

Andrea,
Just one question, did they do full pre-op blood work and/or tests?
Thanks, Tracey

Andrea R. on 6/18/01 at 07:09 (050934)

Tracy,

Since I had had a physical in December and I am generally healthy I was able to skip the pre-op blood work. I had a quick check in my doctor's office of blood pressure, pulse, breathing, etc.

A nurse called from the hospital and asked a lot of questions about medical history, current meds, allergies, pain level and such. I also had a questionaire to fill out for the anesthesiologist. I met with him when I got to the hospital the day of surgery.

Andrea