Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

The FUN never ends!

Posted by Valerie S on 6/13/01 at hrmin (050596)

Hi.
I have been circling in a holding pattern with my pod for a few weeks now, waiting to hear about the ESWT approval (they told him 30 days...). I have been off work for 12 weeks, with no improvement. I don't hurt so bad because I don't really do much walking anymore. It's when I walk that I have the problems though!

Our pool just opened for the summer, and when we went 2 days ago, and there was a crowd, I chose to jump in instead of my usual shallow dive. I forgot how to jump, I guess, and I hit my heel so hard on the bottom of the 5 foot pool as I went in. My heels have both been hurting so bad lately, and this seems to have made it worse.

I have been taking it easy, since the possible 'tear' or whatever it was that I had a couple of weeks ago. I still have the shooting pains in my arch, though not as bad. When I stand, it feels like I am standing on hot knives; I can't even touch the sides without pain... it's like it hurts all the way through. I am wearing the futuro arch supports, and they give me some stability and help with the arch pain. I use a cane to walk around and get warmed up around the house now, for those little room-to-room jaunts. I have pain at the back of my ankle sometimes, and the base of the back of my heels burn like crazy.

My pod says this is from the night splint, but I wonder if I might be developing problems with my Achilles Tendon, and what are the symptoms??
Also what does a stress fracture feel like, and how long does it take to heal?

My feet still look the same as they always have...
Thanks for any input... I am sick of worrying and feeling like a hypochondriac... I just don't want to keep getting worse while I sit here waiting. Maybe I should just get the surgery after all. By the time the ESWT gets approved, I might have other problems...

Take it easy... Val.

Re: The FUN never ends!

BrianG on 6/13/01 at 10:51 (050608)

Whoa Val, just be glad you didn't dive in, you could be paralized!! About the night splints. I've been seeing a new Pod, as I had to get some new orthotics, and I wanted a 4th opinion (like something is going to change, right). Anyways, while telling her my history, I mentioned to her that I'd been using the night splints on and off for a couple years. She told me that she usually didn't recommed them, as she thought they just didn't do the job for most people. It's the old everyone is different deal. She did tape me, which made me feel better, as well as ordering my new orthotics. I've taped myself a lot the past month or two, and it seems to be helping a little bit. Nothing has helped a lot, but for me, it's been taping, along with the pain meds that helps the most. The orthotics are in, and feeling good, very little break in time.

So, just wondering if you've been taping your feet, it could help.
BCG

Beverly on 6/13/01 at 13:31 (050623)

Val,

I have achilles tendonitis, and I can assure you that you don't want it. I've had it for several months now, and it has put a major damper on my stretching. (I had PF for almost a year before developing the AT.) Only in the last 2 weeks, have I been able to start reintroducing my stretching... slowly.

I'd encourage you to have your pod look at your ankle and find out if it is achilles tendonitis. Not being a medical person, I would not want to guess on that.

My orthopedic surgeon has encouraged me to wear shoes that have at least a one inch heel for the achilles problem. I am having a hard time giving up my Birks, but I do see a difference when I wear my orthodics with athletic shoes.

Good luck,
Beverly

PS: Have you considered going to an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in the foot and ankle? They have more training.

Re: Hi Valerie

Paula G. on 6/14/01 at 14:05 (050709)

Yes, the pain. Several times I have tripped and landed on the sorest foot
You are right, the pain is unbearable.
What kind of night splints do you wear? Mine have always seemed to help some. If I can leave the darned things on. They irritate me to no end.
Big and bulky.
You are not a hypochondriac. It just seems with this problem we are always between a rock and a hard place. Told to live with the pain. Or ignored from the doctor.
I will take the old time 'family medical doctor'. Remember them? You could go and they took care of everything. Do doctors sometimes get immune to listening to peoples complaints. Do they feel defeated because they are not able to help?

Joanne E on 6/25/01 at hrmin (051478)

Hi Valerie. My pain is very similar to yours. I can stand for about 30 seconds, then get the 'burning knife' pain, especially in the right foot (my pod says I tore the pf away from the bone 4 months ago, when vacuuming the stairs). I have found the calf stretching makes the pain much worse. I suspect the pf tears more when I try to stretch my calf, even though I try to 'arch' my foot to isolate the stretch to the calf. I've done the usual -- pt, iontophoresis, phonophoresis, stretches, orthodics, icing, etc. All to no avail. I am trying to find out if the ESWT works for people with my kind of pain. I read a lot about people who have pain but can still walk, run, hike, etc. But, I can't walk more than a few steps, or stand more than a few seconds. It has been like this for 4 months, with no improvement. So, if you have improvement, please let me know what has helped! Thanks. -- Joanne

Julie on 6/25/01 at 13:59 (051487)

Joanne, please be careful with the calf-stretching. If it is hurting you, it is doing you no good: probably the reverse. Weight-bearing stretching is unlikely to be helpful for anyone with PF, in my view (it has taken me a long time to come to this view, but I have). It could be that the stretching you have been told to do is in fact holding up your healing.

BrianG on 6/13/01 at 10:51 (050608)

Whoa Val, just be glad you didn't dive in, you could be paralized!! About the night splints. I've been seeing a new Pod, as I had to get some new orthotics, and I wanted a 4th opinion (like something is going to change, right). Anyways, while telling her my history, I mentioned to her that I'd been using the night splints on and off for a couple years. She told me that she usually didn't recommed them, as she thought they just didn't do the job for most people. It's the old everyone is different deal. She did tape me, which made me feel better, as well as ordering my new orthotics. I've taped myself a lot the past month or two, and it seems to be helping a little bit. Nothing has helped a lot, but for me, it's been taping, along with the pain meds that helps the most. The orthotics are in, and feeling good, very little break in time.

So, just wondering if you've been taping your feet, it could help.
BCG

Beverly on 6/13/01 at 13:31 (050623)

Val,

I have achilles tendonitis, and I can assure you that you don't want it. I've had it for several months now, and it has put a major damper on my stretching. (I had PF for almost a year before developing the AT.) Only in the last 2 weeks, have I been able to start reintroducing my stretching... slowly.

I'd encourage you to have your pod look at your ankle and find out if it is achilles tendonitis. Not being a medical person, I would not want to guess on that.

My orthopedic surgeon has encouraged me to wear shoes that have at least a one inch heel for the achilles problem. I am having a hard time giving up my Birks, but I do see a difference when I wear my orthodics with athletic shoes.

Good luck,
Beverly

PS: Have you considered going to an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in the foot and ankle? They have more training.

Re: Hi Valerie

Paula G. on 6/14/01 at 14:05 (050709)

Yes, the pain. Several times I have tripped and landed on the sorest foot
You are right, the pain is unbearable.
What kind of night splints do you wear? Mine have always seemed to help some. If I can leave the darned things on. They irritate me to no end.
Big and bulky.
You are not a hypochondriac. It just seems with this problem we are always between a rock and a hard place. Told to live with the pain. Or ignored from the doctor.
I will take the old time 'family medical doctor'. Remember them? You could go and they took care of everything. Do doctors sometimes get immune to listening to peoples complaints. Do they feel defeated because they are not able to help?

Joanne E on 6/25/01 at hrmin (051478)

Hi Valerie. My pain is very similar to yours. I can stand for about 30 seconds, then get the 'burning knife' pain, especially in the right foot (my pod says I tore the pf away from the bone 4 months ago, when vacuuming the stairs). I have found the calf stretching makes the pain much worse. I suspect the pf tears more when I try to stretch my calf, even though I try to 'arch' my foot to isolate the stretch to the calf. I've done the usual -- pt, iontophoresis, phonophoresis, stretches, orthodics, icing, etc. All to no avail. I am trying to find out if the ESWT works for people with my kind of pain. I read a lot about people who have pain but can still walk, run, hike, etc. But, I can't walk more than a few steps, or stand more than a few seconds. It has been like this for 4 months, with no improvement. So, if you have improvement, please let me know what has helped! Thanks. -- Joanne

Julie on 6/25/01 at 13:59 (051487)

Joanne, please be careful with the calf-stretching. If it is hurting you, it is doing you no good: probably the reverse. Weight-bearing stretching is unlikely to be helpful for anyone with PF, in my view (it has taken me a long time to come to this view, but I have). It could be that the stretching you have been told to do is in fact holding up your healing.