Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

4 weeks post op

Posted by Stephanie Adams on 6/13/01 at hrmin (050625)

Hello all, boy has it been awile since I have got to get back to the board, I think it was April since I posted last. My problem was TTS and bilateral heel spurs, well after 7 weeks of physical thearpy I was still in pain and decided I wanted it taken care of.
My surgury was May 14th at 7 am home by 10 am. He removed the heel spur and cut the tendon that runs from the toes to the heel and cleaned out around the tibia nerve and varicose vain to make more room for them (they were pinched). Two incision lines it kind of looks like a upside down T. They sent me home on crutches, boy that was fun, my husband said I was the most uncoordinated person he ever seen and my other foot was hurting from all the x-tra work, so got a wheelchair,ahh much better. 3 days after surgury, foot and leg swelled up, so the doctor changed the cast. Had casts on a total of 17 days,that was enough, I got the doctor to take it off and remove staples and sutures that don't dssolve and just wrap it.
3 week check up found that my body rejects the dissolvable sutures and there is a spot on the one incision line that is gapping open so doctor had to scrape it and put some steri strips on it. But I could walk on it with crutches and he said when I felt I didn't need the crutches start walking. So the next day I decided that the crutches could go back to the pharmacy. I was going to walk with the ugly blue walking shoe and I did the only problem was I was favoring the inside of my heel so the outside of my foot was hurting, I can't seem to walk with the weight on my whole foot doctor said I may have to have thearpy for that.
Well It is 4 weeks and 2 days and I am doing great. Open incision line heeling fine, only a bandaid on it. Yesterday I got to wear my own shoe because the swelling was down, and my foot on the outside wasn't hurting after I wore the shoes, but today It was too swollen to have it on and feel good. Last night was the first time my foot hurt (real pain) since the surgery, I didn't sleep a wink.
But all in all I am so happy I decided to get it Fixed.
I read a few posts and what is this massage that everyone is talking about? Is it deep massage? Does it work? I have some really hard spots along the one incision line that he stapled and they hurt probably scar tissue that is forming.
Well I am walking, not much pain at all, will be off work for awhile, proably until August, So I will check back more often now that baseball season is over and I have time to relax.
Thanks for all your posts This is great.

Re: 4 weeks post op

Rick on 6/13/01 at hrmin (050655)

Hi Stephanie
You have done very well! My left foot operation was 2 and a half weeks ago. I've had no cast and use a wheelchair a lot. The crutches I use from time to time but my right knee is protesting.
I've probably 'pushed it' a bit too much bit the stitches may be removed today.
I hope I can make similar progress to you over the next two weeks.
All the best
Rick

Re: Massage

Andrea R. on 6/14/01 at 07:12 (050694)

Stephanie,

When I had shoulder surgery last year my Physical Therapist told me to tap, pinch and massage the incision sites to make them less sensitive and help prevent adhesions. I've been doing the same for my foot. Start with tapping lightly on the incision site. Massage the incision site (if it is healed up) with Vitamin E oil.

I also see a massage therapist. Interview a few. The massage doesn't necessarily need to be deep. It should vary depending on you particular situation. If you want to try it, find someone who will do a half hour (about $35.00) and have them work on your legs and feet. You can also do it yourself. One of the major benefits is maintaining good circulation which help with healing.

I'm also four weeks post-op. The crutches were worst when I was non-weight bearing. I use a wheel chair around the kitchen so I can carry things.

Andrea

Re: 4 weeks post op

Rick on 6/13/01 at hrmin (050655)

Hi Stephanie
You have done very well! My left foot operation was 2 and a half weeks ago. I've had no cast and use a wheelchair a lot. The crutches I use from time to time but my right knee is protesting.
I've probably 'pushed it' a bit too much bit the stitches may be removed today.
I hope I can make similar progress to you over the next two weeks.
All the best
Rick

Re: Massage

Andrea R. on 6/14/01 at 07:12 (050694)

Stephanie,

When I had shoulder surgery last year my Physical Therapist told me to tap, pinch and massage the incision sites to make them less sensitive and help prevent adhesions. I've been doing the same for my foot. Start with tapping lightly on the incision site. Massage the incision site (if it is healed up) with Vitamin E oil.

I also see a massage therapist. Interview a few. The massage doesn't necessarily need to be deep. It should vary depending on you particular situation. If you want to try it, find someone who will do a half hour (about $35.00) and have them work on your legs and feet. You can also do it yourself. One of the major benefits is maintaining good circulation which help with healing.

I'm also four weeks post-op. The crutches were worst when I was non-weight bearing. I use a wheel chair around the kitchen so I can carry things.

Andrea