Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel and arch PAIN

Posted by Danielle on 6/14/01 at 01:16 (050690)

I have had arch pain for sevral months and didn't know what it was. After I statted getting heel pain so bad I couldn't stand on a floor at all I went to see a podiatrist. He says plantar fasciitis and heel spur alos took xray. He gave me a cortizone injection and is suposed to fit me for orthotics.I have been following recomendations, ice rest, aleve etc , arch supports otc. Also after elevating foot it get numb! However I am also having lots of arch pain. I hear no mention of arch pain and I don't know what I can do about it! It is difficult to walk!! My other foot is starting to be affected now as well!

Re: heel and arch PAIN

Dr. Biehler on 6/14/01 at 14:38 (050711)

It is good that you went to a podiatrist. Alot of times if a foot is pronating ( getting flat ) when a person walks, this can cause a strain of the tendon that inserts into the arch and plantar fasciitis. It is not uncommon to have arch and heel pain. You should mention the numbness to your doctor as the elivating of ones leg may ( or may not ) be causing a nerve compression, possible even in the back. Dr. B.

Naja F. on 6/16/01 at 20:05 (050873)

Is elevation something that most doctors recommend? My podiatrist did not. He just said to take it easy (no strenuous exercises) and try to stay off my feet as much as possible (in addition to icing, naprosin, etc..).

Dr. Biehler on 6/14/01 at 14:38 (050711)

It is good that you went to a podiatrist. Alot of times if a foot is pronating ( getting flat ) when a person walks, this can cause a strain of the tendon that inserts into the arch and plantar fasciitis. It is not uncommon to have arch and heel pain. You should mention the numbness to your doctor as the elivating of ones leg may ( or may not ) be causing a nerve compression, possible even in the back. Dr. B.

Naja F. on 6/16/01 at 20:05 (050873)

Is elevation something that most doctors recommend? My podiatrist did not. He just said to take it easy (no strenuous exercises) and try to stay off my feet as much as possible (in addition to icing, naprosin, etc..).