Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

workers compensation

Posted by Mark B. on 6/14/01 at 20:17 (050721)

I have worked as a maintenance mechanic in the heavy manufacturing area for the past 25 years.Doing this type of work,I am basically required to wear heavy steel toed shoes working on concrete floors for 40-60 hours a week.My question to all who care to reply is,'why is plantar faciitis or heel spurs not recognized and compensated as a repetitive stress injury?'I have seen persons 20 to 25 years old be able to claim carpal tunnel syndrome,tennis elbow,back strain,and a list of maladies that are readily covered by our states(Ohio)worker compensation system with very little to support the claim other than the persons say-so.I am dealing with some severe heel pain associated with plantar faciitis and workmens comp. will not recognize this and my insurance plan will not even cover custom orthotics,or night splints.If I take off work to try to rest my feet,or at worst have surgery,my family is supposed to live on insurance supported sick pay of about 35 percent of my normal pay as opposed to 100 percent under workmens comp.I believe this is an issue that needs addressed ASAP.

Re: workers compensation & SSD

BrianG on 6/14/01 at 21:06 (050723)

Hi Mark,

I hate to say this, and I know I'll probably take some heat. I have the exact same concerns that you have. I've worked about 18 years on concrete, tar, and driving patrol vehicles. All of which have led to my PF of 7 years.

Sorry to say, but I have to blame the doctors for not working close enough with the insurance companies to see that we are covered correctly. After all, who else is it, that is the expert, that would influence the insurance people the most?

If I'm wrong, please let me know. I'll be glad to eat my words! I think a 'few' doc's may be fighting the good fight, but I'd have to believe the majority are just sitting back, treating patients to the best of their abiity. The docs are in the position to change the rules and policies, why is it taking so long? I can't think of one other chronic injury that gets lets respect from Workers Comp, or Social Security Disibility. OK, I'm off my soapbox now.

BCG

Re: workers compensation

Taylor R on 6/16/01 at 10:37 (050834)

HI mark I live in ohio and am on wc.I also worked in a factory on concrete floors. when i first applied for wc they turned me down i appealed and won.you have to fight them and you will get it.i did not get an attorney but you should think about getting one. you can e-mail me if you have any question. Taylor

Re: workers compensation & SSD

BrianG on 6/14/01 at 21:06 (050723)

Hi Mark,

I hate to say this, and I know I'll probably take some heat. I have the exact same concerns that you have. I've worked about 18 years on concrete, tar, and driving patrol vehicles. All of which have led to my PF of 7 years.

Sorry to say, but I have to blame the doctors for not working close enough with the insurance companies to see that we are covered correctly. After all, who else is it, that is the expert, that would influence the insurance people the most?

If I'm wrong, please let me know. I'll be glad to eat my words! I think a 'few' doc's may be fighting the good fight, but I'd have to believe the majority are just sitting back, treating patients to the best of their abiity. The docs are in the position to change the rules and policies, why is it taking so long? I can't think of one other chronic injury that gets lets respect from Workers Comp, or Social Security Disibility. OK, I'm off my soapbox now.

BCG

Re: workers compensation

Taylor R on 6/16/01 at 10:37 (050834)

HI mark I live in ohio and am on wc.I also worked in a factory on concrete floors. when i first applied for wc they turned me down i appealed and won.you have to fight them and you will get it.i did not get an attorney but you should think about getting one. you can e-mail me if you have any question. Taylor