Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I'm so stupid please someone help!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Laurie R on 6/15/01 at 00:07 (050737)

Hi to all,Like I said I am so stupid ..I was iceing my foot yesterday due to the swelling and I burt my foot. When I got up today I could not even put my foot down . I have been in so much pain today. I have like red and purple blister like things on the botton of my heel and foot. Can someone tell me what I can do to make this pain go away?????Thank you so much. I use gel packs and this has never happen before ... Laurie R

Re: I'm so stupid please someone help!!!!!!!!!

wendyn on 6/15/01 at 07:46 (050754)

Laurie - you might have frostbite. Don't put any 'goo' or lotion on your foot - and have it checked out!

Re: no not stupid

Tammie on 6/15/01 at 08:09 (050756)

Laurie I am so sorry you sure dont need any extra pain to deal with!!! Please take care! Hugs to u!

Re: TO: Laurie - Re: I'm so stupid please someone help!!!!!!!!!

Christy D. on 6/15/01 at hrmin (050765)

Hi I did that two weeks ago...Isn't that just the funnest pain. I did not know until I went upstairs and my feet started to thaw out...I could not move for about three minutes cause the pain was so strong.

I just left them alone. It took about 4 days for the redness to go away. I did not ice or do anything for a while. The stinging lasted for about 3 days then it went away and was just sore, but it just blended in with the every day pain I have.

Just make sure u put a timer on...I look so forward to icing cause it's the only relief I get all day and sometimes you just don't realize how long you have the ice on.

Sorry you had to go thru it. I put a notice up on board before call Ice Warning...lol

Take care -

Dr. David S. Wander on 6/15/01 at 15:19 (050772)

It is generally recommended that ice only be applied for 20 minute intervals, to avoid frostbite and other complications. I would certainly recommend that you have the foot checked out by a professional. Frostbite can result in blisters similar to a heat burn, and is often prone to infection if there are open blisters. Additionally, an area that has had frostbite is more prone to sensitivity and re-injury. Remember, in the future, ice should only be used for 20 minute intervals and should not be applied directly to the skin. Please have your foot checked out by a professional to avoid any complications.

Beverly on 6/15/01 at 15:38 (050775)

Laurie, I'm so sorry. You certainly don't need one more thing. I hope you get this checked out.

Beverly

Laurie R on 6/15/01 at 18:34 (050786)

Hello Dr, Wander and everyone else that repled. I did get my foot checked out today. I had therapy anyway and I was not going to go due to the pain and the ice burn. I am so glad I went . My therapist is wonderful and I like him a lot. He checked my foot and said it was ok and it was just burned from the ice. He said their was not much I could do for it. And also like everyone has said not to put the ice on my skin. I have always done this in the past with no problems. I will not do it again. He said that it might blister . I will keep an eye on it and see what happends. I will say it does not hurt like it did yesterday and last night. I learned another hard lesson... Thank you again.Laurie R

Paula A on 6/15/01 at hrmin (050791)

Laurie,

That could have happened to any one of us, it was an accident and
you are far from stupid..Accidents just happen that's all.

Lots of Hugs and glad you had your therapist take a look..

Feel better soon..

Paula A

Laurie R on 6/15/01 at 23:36 (050807)

Hi Paula , Thank you so much for your kind words. Now this is what this board is all about . You all always make me feel so much better. I did feel real stupid ... I hope you are well Paula ... Laurie R

Re: Check social

Mary S. on 6/16/01 at 00:01 (050812)

concerned!!

Re: I'm so stupid please someone help!!!!!!!!!

wendyn on 6/15/01 at 07:46 (050754)

Laurie - you might have frostbite. Don't put any 'goo' or lotion on your foot - and have it checked out!

Re: no not stupid

Tammie on 6/15/01 at 08:09 (050756)

Laurie I am so sorry you sure dont need any extra pain to deal with!!! Please take care! Hugs to u!

Christy D. on 6/15/01 at hrmin (050765)

Hi I did that two weeks ago...Isn't that just the funnest pain. I did not know until I went upstairs and my feet started to thaw out...I could not move for about three minutes cause the pain was so strong.

I just left them alone. It took about 4 days for the redness to go away. I did not ice or do anything for a while. The stinging lasted for about 3 days then it went away and was just sore, but it just blended in with the every day pain I have.

Just make sure u put a timer on...I look so forward to icing cause it's the only relief I get all day and sometimes you just don't realize how long you have the ice on.

Sorry you had to go thru it. I put a notice up on board before call Ice Warning...lol

Take care -

Dr. David S. Wander on 6/15/01 at 15:19 (050772)

It is generally recommended that ice only be applied for 20 minute intervals, to avoid frostbite and other complications. I would certainly recommend that you have the foot checked out by a professional. Frostbite can result in blisters similar to a heat burn, and is often prone to infection if there are open blisters. Additionally, an area that has had frostbite is more prone to sensitivity and re-injury. Remember, in the future, ice should only be used for 20 minute intervals and should not be applied directly to the skin. Please have your foot checked out by a professional to avoid any complications.

Beverly on 6/15/01 at 15:38 (050775)

Laurie, I'm so sorry. You certainly don't need one more thing. I hope you get this checked out.

Beverly

Laurie R on 6/15/01 at 18:34 (050786)

Hello Dr, Wander and everyone else that repled. I did get my foot checked out today. I had therapy anyway and I was not going to go due to the pain and the ice burn. I am so glad I went . My therapist is wonderful and I like him a lot. He checked my foot and said it was ok and it was just burned from the ice. He said their was not much I could do for it. And also like everyone has said not to put the ice on my skin. I have always done this in the past with no problems. I will not do it again. He said that it might blister . I will keep an eye on it and see what happends. I will say it does not hurt like it did yesterday and last night. I learned another hard lesson... Thank you again.Laurie R

Paula A on 6/15/01 at hrmin (050791)

Laurie,

That could have happened to any one of us, it was an accident and
you are far from stupid..Accidents just happen that's all.

Lots of Hugs and glad you had your therapist take a look..

Feel better soon..

Paula A

Laurie R on 6/15/01 at 23:36 (050807)

Hi Paula , Thank you so much for your kind words. Now this is what this board is all about . You all always make me feel so much better. I did feel real stupid ... I hope you are well Paula ... Laurie R

Re: Check social

Mary S. on 6/16/01 at 00:01 (050812)

concerned!!