Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TO Mary S

Posted by Laurie R on 6/15/01 at 01:07 (050740)

Hi Mary , Just thinking about and I was wondering how you are feeling?? I hope you are doing better. When you have time let us know how you are doing . My very best to you . Laurie R

Re: TO Mary S--Not happy

Mary S. on 6/15/01 at 23:55 (050810)

Laurie--I'm in the middle of worring about this leg again. No matter how much I elevate or ice, it is still really swollen and red. I am taking the 750mg Cipro twice a day and no change. Now the bottom of that heel has a new pain like a stone bruise. I just don't know any more. I tried to put on the shoes that I teach in today and horrors, it nearly cut my ankle in half. I have visions of me having to give up my job. Then my mind really runs wild, and I thought what if I have blood poisoning and loose this foot or leg. I know I am carrying things too far in my mind!! I think that tomorrw I will take a fluid pill and see what happens.
I really need to cheer up. But what I really need is to see some improvement.
How are you doing??? It is so nice of you to check on me and lift my spirits. I'll try not to be so down next time.

Mary S. on 6/16/01 at 00:00 (050811)

Laurie--I just read your post about burning your foot with the gel pack!! I had no idea that could happen. I am using one but always have a thin sock on. I don't know what to do about it, but I know I would call my doctor or go in. I am thinking about you and am concerned. Keep us posted. Hugs to you!!

wendyn on 6/16/01 at 00:15 (050814)

Please don't self diagnose and treat Mary. If it's concerning you this much (and I'm not blaming you) - maybe a trip to another doctor or emergency may be in order.

Laurie R on 6/16/01 at 00:48 (050815)

Dear Mary , I did have my PT therapist check out my foot today. He told me it will be ok ,but not to put the gel pack on my skin... It still hurts but not as bad as yesterday and last night. I had so much pain I did not know what to do .....

Now my dear please call your doctor about your leg and your foot. I have no clue what it can be ,but it does not sound right .... I don't want to scare you in any way but I have heard after surgery you can get blood clots in your leg.... Just call and you can give your symptoms on the phone and your doctor can tell you if it is normal or not .... I am just concerned for you and care .....

Please let us know how you are doing .... I am also so sorry that you are having problems . My mind is just like yours so I understand .

My very best to you Mary and I hope you start feeling better.

Laurie R And lots of hugs for you ....

ellen on 6/18/01 at 09:25 (050939)

Hi Mary,

The redness and burning sounds like something you need to check out. You may want to see another doctor just for a second opinion on what's going on with it. As to shoe size, it took months after my surgery before I could wear a normal shoe. While your foot and ankle are filled with fluid, there's no way you can expect to wear what you had in the past. Once you are able to start walking again, it will help pump the fluid out off you foot. What are you wearing now?
ellen

Re: Ellen

Mary S. on 6/18/01 at 12:15 (050951)

I have been wearing a boot until recently. When I came out of that, I put a slipper on. Then I decided to try my Easy Spirit lace up, which I had to stretch way open and not even try to tie the laces.
I think that by the end of this week, I need to really start a short walking program to, like you said, help pump the fluid out.
Thanks so much for your concern!!!

ellen on 6/18/01 at 14:10 (050968)

I wish I had a recommendation for a good interim shoe, but I don't. I kept wearing slippers until one day my sneakers finally fit. That was when I felt I was really on my way to recovery. Maybe other posters who have had surgery could recommend a good interim shoe?? Something you found that gave support and stretched at the same time? I read a review today of a sneaker by Nike called 'Presto' that sounded interesting. The description of its construction sounds like it might fit a swollen foot problem, though maybe not give enough ankle support. One other suggestion -- over the next year, get your shoe size checked regularly. My foot started growing like gangbusters, I think because I was in sneakers so long, plus put on a lot of weight, that they spread and lengthened at the same time.
ellen

Mary S. on 6/15/01 at 23:55 (050810)

Laurie--I'm in the middle of worring about this leg again. No matter how much I elevate or ice, it is still really swollen and red. I am taking the 750mg Cipro twice a day and no change. Now the bottom of that heel has a new pain like a stone bruise. I just don't know any more. I tried to put on the shoes that I teach in today and horrors, it nearly cut my ankle in half. I have visions of me having to give up my job. Then my mind really runs wild, and I thought what if I have blood poisoning and loose this foot or leg. I know I am carrying things too far in my mind!! I think that tomorrw I will take a fluid pill and see what happens.
I really need to cheer up. But what I really need is to see some improvement.
How are you doing??? It is so nice of you to check on me and lift my spirits. I'll try not to be so down next time.

Mary S. on 6/16/01 at 00:00 (050811)

Laurie--I just read your post about burning your foot with the gel pack!! I had no idea that could happen. I am using one but always have a thin sock on. I don't know what to do about it, but I know I would call my doctor or go in. I am thinking about you and am concerned. Keep us posted. Hugs to you!!

wendyn on 6/16/01 at 00:15 (050814)

Please don't self diagnose and treat Mary. If it's concerning you this much (and I'm not blaming you) - maybe a trip to another doctor or emergency may be in order.

Laurie R on 6/16/01 at 00:48 (050815)

Dear Mary , I did have my PT therapist check out my foot today. He told me it will be ok ,but not to put the gel pack on my skin... It still hurts but not as bad as yesterday and last night. I had so much pain I did not know what to do .....

Now my dear please call your doctor about your leg and your foot. I have no clue what it can be ,but it does not sound right .... I don't want to scare you in any way but I have heard after surgery you can get blood clots in your leg.... Just call and you can give your symptoms on the phone and your doctor can tell you if it is normal or not .... I am just concerned for you and care .....

Please let us know how you are doing .... I am also so sorry that you are having problems . My mind is just like yours so I understand .

My very best to you Mary and I hope you start feeling better.

Laurie R And lots of hugs for you ....

ellen on 6/18/01 at 09:25 (050939)

Hi Mary,

The redness and burning sounds like something you need to check out. You may want to see another doctor just for a second opinion on what's going on with it. As to shoe size, it took months after my surgery before I could wear a normal shoe. While your foot and ankle are filled with fluid, there's no way you can expect to wear what you had in the past. Once you are able to start walking again, it will help pump the fluid out off you foot. What are you wearing now?
ellen

Mary S. on 6/18/01 at 12:15 (050951)

I have been wearing a boot until recently. When I came out of that, I put a slipper on. Then I decided to try my Easy Spirit lace up, which I had to stretch way open and not even try to tie the laces.
I think that by the end of this week, I need to really start a short walking program to, like you said, help pump the fluid out.
Thanks so much for your concern!!!

ellen on 6/18/01 at 14:10 (050968)

I wish I had a recommendation for a good interim shoe, but I don't. I kept wearing slippers until one day my sneakers finally fit. That was when I felt I was really on my way to recovery. Maybe other posters who have had surgery could recommend a good interim shoe?? Something you found that gave support and stretched at the same time? I read a review today of a sneaker by Nike called 'Presto' that sounded interesting. The description of its construction sounds like it might fit a swollen foot problem, though maybe not give enough ankle support. One other suggestion -- over the next year, get your shoe size checked regularly. My foot started growing like gangbusters, I think because I was in sneakers so long, plus put on a lot of weight, that they spread and lengthened at the same time.
ellen