Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Post Surgery Treatment

Posted by Adam C on 6/15/01 at hrmin (050743)

I had bi-lateral heel release surgery 16 months ago. The doctor did not cast either of my feet and actually encouraged me to get back to full weight bearing in about 6 weeks post op. I am currently considering having a 2nd bi-lateral surgery as my pain has not diminished since surgery.

My current physician has criticized my previous treatment and surgery methods. He feels that given the history of my problem (over 10 years) surgery is the best option but plans on casting me in a streched position for at least 4 to 6 weeks and in a walking cast for 4 to 6 more weeks after that. This sounds more reasonable than weight bearing after 6 weeks without casting.

I would appreciate input from those that have had both successful and unsuccessful surgery. I would like to hear specifically, how much of the fascia tendon was cut? Were you placed in a non-weight bearing cast and if so how long? If placed in a cast, was your foot held in an stretched or inclined position? How long before you were weight bearing again?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Adam C

I would

Re: Post Surgery Treatment

linda on 6/18/01 at 15:03 (050972)

Adam, I had open PF and TT release on April 19th. I am now in a shoe around the house and doing well. I was in a cast that held my foot at a 90 degree angle for 2 weeks. A cam boot for 2 weeks and back into a cast for 2 weeks because the cam boot wasn't holding my foot at a 90 degree angle very well. 6 weeks total non weight bearing. MyDr. cut a small triangle out of the PF near my heel in order to stretch the tendon. He also had to release some nerves that were entrapped around my ankle. After 6 weeks non weight bearing I walked in my cam boot with 2 crutches., then 1 crutch for about 2 weeks and am now in a shoe with no crutches. I still have to go slow and my foot continues to swell by the afternoon but I have learned to slow down when I need to and am pleased with how things are going. Let me know what you decide to do.
linda

Re: Post Surgery Treatment

linda on 6/18/01 at 15:03 (050972)

Adam, I had open PF and TT release on April 19th. I am now in a shoe around the house and doing well. I was in a cast that held my foot at a 90 degree angle for 2 weeks. A cam boot for 2 weeks and back into a cast for 2 weeks because the cam boot wasn't holding my foot at a 90 degree angle very well. 6 weeks total non weight bearing. MyDr. cut a small triangle out of the PF near my heel in order to stretch the tendon. He also had to release some nerves that were entrapped around my ankle. After 6 weeks non weight bearing I walked in my cam boot with 2 crutches., then 1 crutch for about 2 weeks and am now in a shoe with no crutches. I still have to go slow and my foot continues to swell by the afternoon but I have learned to slow down when I need to and am pleased with how things are going. Let me know what you decide to do.
linda