Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Reflexology for Heelspurs

Posted by LynneA on 6/15/01 at hrmin (050750)

Is there anybody out there who has had reflexology for the relief of Heelspur pain? I recently moved to Singapore and was recommended to a reflexologist who maintains that he has 'cured' the problem before , and is intent on 'breaking off the spur'through very deep and needless to say painful massage. I am in two minds as to whether I should continue. As yet,after 7 treatments there is no progress. The pain is excruciating. He says it will only go away once the spur breaks off. Any comments?

Re: Reflexology for Heelspurs

footpro on 6/15/01 at 21:59 (050797)

with this very deep massage trying to break off the spur is ludicrous. You run the risk of fracturing your heel bone (calcaneous). The calcaneous is a very thin bone and when it fractures it breaks like an egg shell. There is no good treatment or postoperative course after a person has sustained a calcaneal fracture. You set yourself up for a lifetime of arthritis in the joint just below the ankle joint called the subtalar joint. Once arthritis sets in here the only cure is to fuse that joint where it will never move again. You're asking for trouble.

LynneA on 6/15/01 at hrmin (050801)

Thank for your comments on the reflexology. I suppose the treatment is really born of desperation.I am at my wit's end and am not sure where to go to next. America seems to offer so much in the way of treatment. Living in Singapore has its limitations for heelspur 'victims'!

footpro on 6/16/01 at 08:42 (050822)

I am a practicing podiatrist here in the good ole USA. My treatment protocol for plantar fasciitis / heel spur syndrome is as follows.

1. Initiate stretching exercises prior to getting out of bed in the morning. I usually have my patients take a belt or towel and place it around the ball of the foot. They grab each end with their leg straight and pull. What they feel is a stretch in the calf and achilles tendon. Typically they should perform this every morning prior to getting out of bed for a period of 2-3 minutes. I have plantar fasciitis as well and I have controlled my pain with stretching and orthotics. Massage of the arch helps to soothe the pain.

2. I also have my patients take a frozen bottle of water and roll their foot over it in the arch. This helps to 'massage' arch as well as decrease pain and inflammation around the plantar fascia.

3. I initially have the patient use an over the counter arch support. These usually cost between 15 and 30 dollars American. These may or may not help. They are worth a try before coughing up 250 -300 dollars for custom made orthotics.

4. Most typically, patients with plantar fasciitis / heel spur syndrome respond well to just these simple conservative treatments. If the heel pain is not repsonding to conservative care or any care for that matter, I would be re-evaluated to see if you really have plantar fasciitis. There are several different pathologies that cause heel pain.

Good Luck

LynneA on 6/17/01 at hrmin (050882)

Dear Footpro

hank you so much for your help. Shall launch into the treatments immediately!
Lynne

Ruth on 6/17/01 at 17:35 (050908)

Go for accupuncture. It really worked for me.

footpro on 6/15/01 at 21:59 (050797)

with this very deep massage trying to break off the spur is ludicrous. You run the risk of fracturing your heel bone (calcaneous). The calcaneous is a very thin bone and when it fractures it breaks like an egg shell. There is no good treatment or postoperative course after a person has sustained a calcaneal fracture. You set yourself up for a lifetime of arthritis in the joint just below the ankle joint called the subtalar joint. Once arthritis sets in here the only cure is to fuse that joint where it will never move again. You're asking for trouble.

LynneA on 6/15/01 at hrmin (050801)

Thank for your comments on the reflexology. I suppose the treatment is really born of desperation.I am at my wit's end and am not sure where to go to next. America seems to offer so much in the way of treatment. Living in Singapore has its limitations for heelspur 'victims'!

footpro on 6/16/01 at 08:42 (050822)

I am a practicing podiatrist here in the good ole USA. My treatment protocol for plantar fasciitis / heel spur syndrome is as follows.

1. Initiate stretching exercises prior to getting out of bed in the morning. I usually have my patients take a belt or towel and place it around the ball of the foot. They grab each end with their leg straight and pull. What they feel is a stretch in the calf and achilles tendon. Typically they should perform this every morning prior to getting out of bed for a period of 2-3 minutes. I have plantar fasciitis as well and I have controlled my pain with stretching and orthotics. Massage of the arch helps to soothe the pain.

2. I also have my patients take a frozen bottle of water and roll their foot over it in the arch. This helps to 'massage' arch as well as decrease pain and inflammation around the plantar fascia.

3. I initially have the patient use an over the counter arch support. These usually cost between 15 and 30 dollars American. These may or may not help. They are worth a try before coughing up 250 -300 dollars for custom made orthotics.

4. Most typically, patients with plantar fasciitis / heel spur syndrome respond well to just these simple conservative treatments. If the heel pain is not repsonding to conservative care or any care for that matter, I would be re-evaluated to see if you really have plantar fasciitis. There are several different pathologies that cause heel pain.

Good Luck

LynneA on 6/17/01 at hrmin (050882)

Dear Footpro

hank you so much for your help. Shall launch into the treatments immediately!
Lynne

Ruth on 6/17/01 at 17:35 (050908)

Go for accupuncture. It really worked for me.